New to Dashcam talk

mstoetz1

Reaction score
Country
Canada
After having a serious interest in finding information on mobile cameras for cars for at least a year, I was so relieved to find this forum that focuses solely on dash cams.

I've found a dash cam market diluted with cameras with questionable quality, and varied reviews on vendor, or ebay sites.

Having a forum like this for those who have interest in purchasing a reliable, quality dash cam to discuss their experiences is great, and I look forward to coming here often.

My reasons for a dash cam are such that I feel it could easily pay for itself in one accident, where other drivers are not honest about their driving.

Thank you to the creator and contributors of this forum!

Michelle

Agree.

I drive alot and see a number of accidents. Even if I never need it, seems to me that one party or the other in another accident would pay $200 for a video.

Further, several years ago I was pulled over by a cop and he tested me for DUI. I passed the physical tests fine, but refused the field blow test so he took me in. I blew .076 (UNDER the limit) but he arrested me anyway. I couldn't believe that I'd be convicted, so declined any settlement. State Troopers claimed they'd "lost" their dashcam video of my tests, and I went on to be convicted. Seems it's guilty until proven innocent.

So I am preparing for a forward -and- back dashcam.

Welcome to the forums. Yes, you are correct about poor quality cameras around the world. Consumer dash cams are a new market and is slowly spreading around the world. I suggest that you red every thread in this forum and learn all you can about dash cams. I was just recently rear ended in my new minivan that I purchased 3 months ago. Thankfully the other driver accepted responsibility and I did not have to pay my deductible, nor did my driving record take a hit. I can see first hand the benefit of having a dash cam after my incident. People laugh at me for having a dash cam and I get all sorts of comments about it. But, if this little camera can prevent me from paying my deductible, or getting dinged on my driving record, it is well worth it. This camera can also record other accidents that may happen in front of you. Somebody could die and since you have video proof, you could give closure to the family of what happend. You could also report drunk drivers that almost take you out while driving or other idiot drivers that create danger on the roads. There is a reason why the police in America have them installed in every cop car. There is a reason why every public transportation bus has them installed. There is a reason why some small and large corporations have them installed in their company vehicles. And this is to protect their assets. Now the everyday person can tap into this Little insurance policy and be protected. I say go for it. It may help you in the future. BTW, I would stick with the main brands that are talked about on this forum, since many dash cams are fake, poor quality, cheaply made, and hard to find outside of America. Good luck. If you need a question answered, please feel free to ask it.

AmericanDriver said:
People laugh at me for having a dash cam and I get all sorts of comments about it.
Tell them that you are already a finalist of a TV contest called ”Dashcam millionaires”. First 10 dashcammens :mrgreen: will receive each $100,000 for just a simple Car DVR recording.
:lol:
And after the final you are invited to make the reality show called ”The Dashcam Family” for another $10,000/episode. Live. No script, no director, just drive. Like an American Driver. :cool:

enjoy,
Mtz

AmericanDriver said:
People laugh at me for having a dash cam and I get all sorts of comments about it.

I have noticed something similar, some people just don't understand the concept of black box.
I think dashcam is like seatbelt, totally useless until that one second when it's worth of millions.

Most people are idiots.
If I'm ever in (another) accident, I want to be the only one with any kind of evidence.

Quantum said:
Agree.

I drive alot and see a number of accidents. Even if I never need it, seems to me that one party or the other in another accident would pay $200 for a video.

Further, several years ago I was pulled over by a cop and he tested me for DUI. I passed the physical tests fine, but refused the field blow test so he took me in. I blew .076 (UNDER the limit) but he arrested me anyway. I couldn't believe that I'd be convicted, so declined any settlement. State Troopers claimed they'd "lost" their dashcam video of my tests, and I went on to be convicted. Seems it's guilty until proven innocent.

So I am preparing for a forward -and- back dashcam.
So now with your dashcam, if you get pulled over and the cop walks you back to stand in front of his car and his dashcam are you going to say: "sorry officer but we're going to have to stay in full view of my own video camera so I won't be going back to your car"?

ExMet said:
So now with your dashcam, if you get pulled over and the cop walks you back to stand in front of his car and his dashcam are you going to say: "sorry officer but we're going to have to stay in full view of my own video camera so I won't be going back to your car"?
Naturally... he will pull in behind me, as they ALWAYS DO. And so my rear camera will take it all. The only thing I need to figure out is an external mike.

You don't like the idea, don't do it. I was wrongly convicted because of lying cops. They denied me their camera evidence which would have exonerated me.

We are supposed to have Rules in this society. Signs all up and down the road say "Legal Limit .08". Well so I was under the distinct impression that the rule was the limit is .08. But I was convicted anyway, due to his testimony that my "eyes were bloodshot, balance was impaired, and speech slurred". Well I have been a moderate drinker for 40 years and you build up a tolerance. NO I was not even a little tipsey. YES I am still angry about this after five years. It taught me to not trust police because they Cheat. I had to take a trumped up speeding ticket to two appeals before it was quashed. And there are other examples.

Welcome to the forums!

Hi mstoetz1,

Thanks for joining and hope you find a camera that is right for you.

Back