New to dashcamming

AJVB

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
DR750X Plus (2CH)
Hello All!

I'm new to the dash cam world. I've always been intrigued in getting a dash cam. Last year I was involved in a major freeway crash involving 5 cars, and even though a dash cam probably wouldn't have made a difference in determining fault, it would have been nice to have it documented in some way! But I finally decided to jump in and purchased a Blueskysea B1W dash cam. It's not perfect, video quality could be better, but I think it'll do for now. I like the blackvue lineup, but a little to rich for my blood at the moment.

Welcome to the forum AJVB.

The B1W are a fine starter cam, and before you know it things get out of hand and your car are like CBS newsroom on wheels.
I have 8 cameras in my car now, and Danish TV stations do with 2 - 3 robot cameras when they do the news.
Of course i only have that many as i do a bit of testing i could cut the 5 cameras on my windscreen down to 2 and be quite happy about that.

Welcome to the forum AJVB.

The B1W are a fine starter cam, and before you know it things get out of hand and your car are like CBS newsroom on wheels.
I have 8 cameras in my car now, and Danish TV stations do with 2 - 3 robot cameras when they do the news.
Of course i only have that many as i do a bit of testing i could cut the 5 cameras on my windscreen down to 2 and be quite happy about that.

Thanks for the welcome! I couldn't imagine having 8 cameras in my car at once, my first thought is where is the room to plug them all up! And you'll definitely need a strong car battery. I do know I'll probably eventually get a rear camera. If and when I decide to have that set up, I'll definitely be looking at the blackvue line. But for now, I'll test out just having a front camera.

The B1W makes a good rear cam, when you want to get something fancier for the front.

Yes it is a bit crowded but really not that bad, i had my car inspected in the spring and the guy dident even notice the cameras before i told him
I have 4 on the windscreen and one on the mirror stalk filming the inside of the car ( B1W ) then i have a camera in each side and one in the rear.

I could fit 2 more on the windscreen if i really had to as my car are a really good design there with lots of room on the dotted area in front of the mirror.
But with that many cameras on the windscreen it is not super stealthy, and it do worry me a bit on those rare occasions where i park out on the town, but such are the life of a tester / dashcan addict.

Welcome to DCT :)
The B1W and Blackvue are at the monetary extremes of reliable dashcams, and there are many good dashcam choices in between which shouldn't be overlooked. No cam is without issues regardless of cost, so I'd advise to beware of thinking that higher cost will get you a better product because with dashcams it probably won't. The maximum of available video quality in these is more a function of sensor, lens, and firmware which are all maxxed out with mid-level cams already. I've got 4+ cams in my workvan but due to it's size that doesn't get me full coverage so it will see at least 2 more in time. My minivan has front and rear cams, and that is the least I feel comfortable with. The B1W makes for a perfect rear or side cam IMHO so if I were you I'd be considering just adding a really good front cam like a Street Guardian or Viofo model, then moving the B1W to the rear.

Phil

The B1W makes a good rear cam, when you want to get something fancier for the front.

....The B1W makes for a perfect rear or side cam IMHO so if I were you I'd be considering just adding a really good front cam like a Street Guardian or Viofo model, then moving the B1W to the rear.

Phil

After having this dash cam for a few days, I realized that having a rear camera is a good idea as well. I'm curious as to how I would set this (B1W) up as a rear cam. At the moment I'm not really interested in hard wiring. I did check the backseat of my car and realized I didn't have any rear 12v outlets (which I was so accustomed too in my previous car) just air vents. The only 12v outlets I have is up front and in the arm rest. I think I might invest in a 2ch dash cam sooner rather than later. Besides Blackvue any recommendations for a 2ch cam?

I'm not sure how hard it is to put a second cig lighter outlet somewhere in the back of that car? Where is a 12v source you can tap into? There are cheap lighter kits with 8-10 feet of wire you can get at most auto part stores, or Walmart. Usually a covered, 'weatherproof' outlet. (Has a flap) $10 or so. You can also find more elaborate stuff on Amazon, usually marketed as marine or RV, will have a lighter socket, a few USB ports.

The A129 Duo still has a glitch or two to work out, but it's a good 2-channel choice. Street Guardian has a better one along with a dual-remote model almost ready for release. Those are what I like right now. The Mini 0906 is cheaper, but lately some have been having problems with rear cam reliability, so I'd call that choice a 'maybe'.

A 2-channel cam's biggest advantage is having everything on one SD card in front where it's easier to access. If the rear cam mounts where card access and power isn't an issue, having 2 separate cams isn't a bad option; many of us do that. The biggest advantage here is that a cam failure will still leave you with video that at least proves your lane position and movements from the functioning cam. With the B1W having the lowest current draw of all dashcams, you might be able to power it at the back with a long USB cable and a good 2 port ciggie plug adapter in front which could power the front cam too. It would need a top-quality cable but should work. Extending a 12V source further back would be better though, and that would power any cam you choose to put back there. For many years I've been running a ciggie-plug extender with the male plug cut off, and the wires tapped into a car fuse and ground. Stick the cam PS in, tape it up so that it doesn't pop out, and you're good-to-go. Using an 'add-a-fuse' tap at the fusebox makes this an easy job plus provides extra safety with the added wiring. Either way, I think having a rear cam is important and I feel somewhat 'naked' without one.

Phil

as long as you have to run some wires, anyway, why not add extra capability?

I was finally able to set up the B1W as a rear cam. My rear window is tinted so I was extremely hesitant on sticking the 3M VHB tape to the window itself, didn't want to mess up the tint. The rear 3rd brake light is near the roof line, so I stuck the camera on the rear brake light cover. Time will tell if it says stuck to the plastic cover.

I ran the wire along the back window trim and down the passenger side door, under the rear passenger floor mat and into the 12v in my center console. Thankfully the car charger has a USB port built in, so I can still charge my phone. I just now have to get use to a blinking light staring at me when I look into the rear view mirror when driving. So far so good.

I was finally able to set up the B1W as a rear cam. My rear window is tinted so I was extremely hesitant on sticking the 3M VHB tape to the window itself, didn't want to mess up the tint. The rear 3rd brake light is near the roof line, so I stuck the camera on the rear brake light cover. Time will tell if it says stuck to the plastic cover.

I ran the wire along the back window trim and down the passenger side door, under the rear passenger floor mat and into the 12v in my center console. Thankfully the car charger has a USB port built in, so I can still charge my phone. I just now have to get use to a blinking light staring at me when I look into the rear view mirror when driving. So far so good.

Good job. I look for the "blinking light" all the time. So I know the camera is recording.:)

Thanks for the sharing!

Back