New to Dashcams

Lou111

Reaction score
Country
United States
When your dascam is recording is it also loading the recording In your phone, or is it storing the videos in the dashcam itself and when you want to retrieve a recording you have to download it to your phone.

Most, if not all, dash cams store the recorded video on board, usually on a micro SD card.

Some dash cams have wi-fi capability that can be used to view/copy files to a phone/tablet/laptop but transfer speeds are not designed for high volume.

Some cams also provide for some video storage to the cloud, but again transfer speed is slow and the available storage is limited.

Ok, now I know what’s going on, thanks guys

Sorry another question, when the memory card gets full does it dump the oldest file as new ones are recorded, or do you have to manually go in and delete old files.

Sorry another question, when the memory card gets full does it dump the oldest file as new ones are recorded, or do you have to manually go in and delete old files.
Typically they start a new file every 3 minutes and delete the oldest to make room for it. Called loop recording.

Forgot to mention, I’m using the “Wheelwitness HD Pro”

You can live view the video on your phone, but you'll need to download the video from the camera if you want to preserve it.

All dashcams loop record, so then the memory card are full the oldest files will get deleted to make room for new recordings, in general you have 4 hours of recording on a 32 Gb memory card - 8 hours on 64 Gb and 16 hours on a 128 Gb memory card.
You have to be aware of what size your camera support, not all support the 128 Gb or larger memory cards.
A dashcam should also automatic start to record when you start your car, and stop recording when you stop the car too, in general they are made to need as little human interaction as possible.

Though no dashcam are set and forget, it is strongly recommended to take a look at your memory card every month or two, focus on first and last files in your recorded drive sessions to see if the start and end in places you would expect, and sample some random files too ( just make sure the files can launch in what ever player you se, you only have to view the first 5 - 10 seconds of a file to make sure its good and recognize the place where it is )
I take about 5 - 10 minutes to look over a 128 Gb memory card on my computer, doing the same with wifi and a phone would probably take a few hours.
If you are a MAC user you might have to format the memory card in the camera after you had it connected to a MAC, but in general a format in the camera now and then are also advised.

And welcome to the forum Lou111. in here there are no stupid questions unless you make the same one over and over and expect different replies.

Back