New to group, ? about firmware

Panic Button

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new to the group and a rookie concerning these dashboard cameras. I'm been searching around the web the last several days trying to figure out which one of these cameras to get and it gave me a headache! I plan on buying a HERO3 Black for my nice weather performace car, but I don't need anything like that for my daily driver. For a couple years I used a Casio EX-P505 in my car and it worked ok, but the video quality sucked as it was only 640 x 480 and it wasn't car friendly when it came to powering the camera, but the zoom and LCD screen was nice. I had it mounted to a home made bracket using the 1/4 x 20 threaded hole to one of the visor hold down screws and that worked good, as the camera was right in front of me and I could work all the controls and see the screen no problem. Well that camera finally died and I wanted something that was geared for the car. All I could find was the cheap stuff and it was very confussing trying to weed through them all until I ran across this site.

I ordered the "3rd F500L HD" as it seems like it will meet my needs and it was recommended here too so that helped. From what I can tell, it's one of the few cameras that the firmware can be updated on. I ordered it from estore009 and according to their website, the firmware is V6.8T2L-KH or V6.9T2L-KH. On this site I found that the latest firmware is V8.9 T2L-KH, so it would seem this camera is compatible to being updated. So far I haven't found revision history for the differnet versions and if someone knows, can you please fill me in or point me in the direction to where I can find this information. I did a short search but didn't come up with the answer, but I don't have much time to spend on the computer as life is full of many other things to do.

Also, is it really necessary for me to update to the latest version and will I really gain anything? It would be nice if a few extra features were added, but I'm sure it will work fine for me just the way it is.

Thanks, PB

Keep the firmware that comes with it. There are minor differences at most with the higher level.

From the review page, it seems an upgrade is necessary if you want to use 1280×720 (for the wider field of view) in flipped mode (perhaps for a high mount).

Back