New to the dashcam game...Could really use some help from old hands...

g0rge

Reaction score
Country
United States
Alright well, I'm certain these forums receive plenty of posts like this (lazy needing help) but...I'm having some difficulty in my solo attempt at research (given the fairly chinese amazon.com nature of this market apparently). I'm a nerd who happens to drive a tow truck for a living. Recently...I've become interested in setting up a camera system in my truck. It started with watching this:
at the thirty second mark...so i started thinking I wanted a gopro...

But...after much consideration, research, surfing etc... I've become really interested in a two channel dash cam set up...even if it's two seperate cameras that I sync video when necessary. I've been a professional driver for about a decade, towing for approximately four of those. My main interest in having a rear cam...is if someone were to hit me with their vehicle while I'm loading a vehicle and to have that evidence available and useful if such were the case or to show that I didn't damage someone's vehicle while loading or transporting it for them...so...I suppose I'm looking for a camera with good rear quality (not a 480 eprance setup in the back) .

I'd like to keep the cost reasonable (200-300), I'd like ballpark 1080 30 minimum with a suction mount...I'm not concerned with if it has to be hard wired or is simply on 12v lighter plugs...night performance isn't generally an issue for me (mainly day side).

The problem is most trucks in this industry, including mine, have fairly vertical glass both front and rear (especially rear)...so I've thought about some of the dual cam single units...but...then I'd be wasting my front cam mounting in the rear and I'd still like a decent front cam to go with the rear...any ideas folks?

Blacksys cf-100 is not 1o80 in the rear.
Maybe a dual channel Panorama or Lukas is better.

But if you have a long truck, you may want to get two separate ones as the cable to rear camera may not be long enough.

Cab isn't very long so I don't think cable length would be an issue. Appreciate the recommendations folks.

You request was dashcam with suction mount. I guess it's because you want to remove it ( them ) overnight and there for size ( form factor ) is not an issue for you ?

well, suction mounting mainly so I can transfer to my personal vehicle if I ever desire to do so without having to buy multiple mount setups. Or for repositioning in my truck easily depending on what I'm loaded with (in terms of camera view obstruction if I'm loaded with something fairly large).

Form factor isn't really a concern...Plenty of space to work with in the cab...Wouldn't mind something with a screen for live rear view (little bonus blind spot vision in traffic etc wouldn't be bad)...the panorama looks decent...720p in the rear would be good enough I suppose, the blackvue videos look kind of choppy/pixelated from what I've seen. the spytek k1s or whatever that is looks like a potential option...

Back