New to the forum and new to dashcams! Confused and have questions!

AMGlady

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone. I have been reading tons of articles and reviews about dashcams and looking online and I am more confused than ever! I just need to get some simple advice (hopefully) about what I should buy.

I am looking to buy two, possibly three dashcams. I already expect to pay a lot of money, so price is not a problem. I'd rather spend a lot of money on something good than a little money on crap. I was originally only going to buy one dashcam as a birthday present for my son, but decided to get one for myself and (maybe) another for my other son.

My youngest son (birthday boy) has a nice car but lives in a condo that only has a carport. Although the condo development is gated, there are no garages and no security cameras. Last week somebody parked next to him and sideswiped the entire side of his car and left a huge dent in his driver side door. Needless to say, he was pissed. He made a police report, but without evidence or proof there is nothing police can do. As a birthday present I am having his car repaired, which is very expensive, and I had the brilliant idea that a dashcam was also necessary for after the car is repaired in the event this happens again.

We live in the Coachella Valley (Palm Desert, CA) and it is extremely hot here. Just a couple of days ago the temperature was 119 and the next day 117 (Fahrenheit). I am looking for something that is able to withstand these extreme temperatures. I have no idea how hot the inside of the car gets when parked in the sun on a 119 degree day! I also want good quality video night or day that is able to record all around the car to catch a license plate number. I will pay whatever is necessary for a very good dashcam. Also, if there is such a thing, we need it to record when the car isn't running. Maybe it doesn't have to record constantly, but it has to be able to sense motion or an impact or something and record that.

I noticed there are several sizes of memory, so I am assuming a 128gb is better than an 8gb or 16gb or 32gb or 64gb. Then I was reading about batteries and LCD and other stuff and I am completely confused! I am not a techie, but I'm not a complete idiot either. However, my boys and I all drive really nice cars that we want to keep in pristine condition, since we worked really hard to be able to buy them!

By the way, I was primarily leaning toward the Lukas LK-7900 ACE 128gb, but I am seeing a lot of options and accessories and I don't know what I need. Then I see there are possibly other dashcams that may be able to withstand high heat temps. I just really need some good, sound advice.

Thank you in advance for your replies and your help!!!!! Much appreciated!

Panorama, high heat capability, good results day or night, 5 second pre buffer on motion detect means a triggered event will be caught on camera, 128gb card support

Look for this same functionality coming in a dual remote cam model as well toward the end of the year, that will be one to look out for

Thank you, Jokiin. I will check that out. In the meantime, should I get something until the Panorama comes out? His car will be out of the shop next week and we don't want to risk having something like this happen again. Thanks. :)

You may try as a first buy a Panorama, see if you or your boys like it, then can buy 2nd and 3rd as well.

Neither a front or rear camera would capture someone whacking a door anyway Unless you install cameras looking out the side you wouldn't see it There are no 360deg cameras from what has been discussed on here.

I j ust got a G1W and I'm thrilled with it's performance! For $50.00 you can't go wrong IMHO

If your sons parking spot is within sight of his condo, i would set up a cctv camera there and have it pointing at the parking spot all the time.

I have done the same with the old analoge cctv gear i use to have in my car, i use the camera that i had on my windscreen as it have 30 X optical zoom so i can zoom in on mu car parked behind the Apartment block where i live.
Though its just D1 resolution gear i have i am quite sure i will get a good recording if anyone should vandalize my car Again, but offcourse a 1080 P IP camera is the way to go these days, i just dont know what one of those with a zoom lens cost.

A front camera might capture some form of evidence, if it was recording all the time or via motion or triggered by G sensor, but then junior would have to reverse into his parking spot every day, or he would need a rear camera as its proberly from behind the offender will come and exit Again after his evil deed is done.

If you drive a couple og hours every day it will be no problem for your car to keep its battery topped up even with a dashcamera or 2 running thru the night when the car is parked, just be sure to use a discharge protection gizmo to make sure the cemera can not discharge the car battery to a voltege too low to crank the engine.

You cant go wrong with the panorama dashcams, the lukas are allso okay but to my know lege they have a higher "issue" rate than the panorama cameras.

PS. Junior might want to do a Little DIY detective work on the parking lot, it sound like there would be some matching markes and maybe paint exchange on the offenders car, who ever did it proberly live there or is a guest there often.
Most likely the offender suddenly have changed his parking routine and now park far avay from his usioal spot.
He might even park outside the gate now as his car is marked with the marks of shame ( banged up )

Last edited:
can you guys link a Panorama camera? I'm unsure of what you're referring to

Can you get this camera in the UK?
Thanks Phil

Thank you, everyone. I was thinking about a camera for inside the condo that would record the parking spot and I am probably going to do that as well because one of his windows does face the carport area. The reason for the camera inside the car is that he also works and goes places and last year while he was inside a restaurant someone backed into the grill of his car, which was also a very expensive repair. So, we do need cameras in the cars when we're out and about.

The incident last week was reported to the police. There is a lot of white paint transfer on the car, but the neighbor who parks in that spot (all the spots are assigned to each condo owner) has a red car. It may have been one of the neighbor's guests, or it could have just been some moron who just decided to park there without regard to the fact that the spots are assigned to condo owners. We suspect it was someone who parked there but who does not live there because my son has not seen any white cars with body damage or black paint transfer on their car - and he's been looking.

I haven't looked at any dashcams in the past couple of days because I've been very busy, but what is a dual cam? Is it two cameras? Does it get more of a 360 degree video? I will look it up, but if someone has a quick explanation, that would be great. Again, thank you for your replies. I really appreciate the help!

I haven't looked at any dashcams in the past couple of days because I've been very busy, but what is a dual cam? Is it two cameras? Does it get more of a 360 degree video? I will look it up, but if someone has a quick explanation, that would be great. Again, thank you for your replies. I really appreciate the help!
A dual cam is a cam that records both the front and the rear at the same time. Unfortunately, the cameras that do this don't do it very well, so it's probably better to get 2 separate cams and put it in the front and back.

Yeah as you guessed a "dualcam" have 2 cameras, normally the front camera house all the elektronics and screen, and then the rear camera is connected to the front "headunit" where it unload its footage.

There is allso some kids that have a SD Card in each unit, and others Again witch is just 2 cameras sold as a bundle.
The dual setups we all want 1080 + 1080p is still fjew and far between, and it allso seem like the devlopment og those still have a way to go before they are truly install and forget systems. And we want that to be sure the footage is there when we finally down the road need it.

So many of us that feel 2 cameras is the way to go have invested in 1 good front unit ( lukas lk7500 in my case ) and then added one of the small mobius cameras in the rear of our car.

The Little mobius is a good Little camera, and if/when you finally get the kick ass dualcam setup the Little mobius can be recycled as a action camera.

It is possible to change lens on a dashcamera as most use the regular 12 mm tread lenses witch is allso used in CCTV cameras, but depending on the distance from your sons window and to his parking spot you might not find a 12 mm lens that have enuff optical zoom.

In that case it should still be possible to take off the 12 mm base on the PCB of the camera and then instead install a C- Mount lens base, and in C- Mount there is a wide selection of zoom lenses.

I have toyed with the same idea to cover my car, but due to not having a job atm mony are tight, but i do have the C-Mount base and lens ready.
When i am done house/dog sitting for my Little sister on sunday and i get home to my appartment i will do a eperiment for you with my G1W dashcam and the c-Mount gear i have( just for the hell of it )

Last edited:
Another great dash cam that will fit what you're looking for is the Lukas LK7900 ACE. The high quality build looks great in any car too, especially a more high-end car.

Kelvin

Another great dash cam that will fit what you're looking for is the Lukas LK7900 ACE. The high quality build looks great in any car too, especially a more high-end car.

Kelvin

You cant go wrong with the panorama dashcams, the lukas are allso okay but to my know lege they have a higher "issue" rate than the panorama cameras.

There was a batch of Lukas dash cams last year that had a focus issue, but that has been fixed with higher quality control. There are no such problems with current Lukas dash cams right now. If you take a look at the Lukas threads, you'll see that there aren't any major issues with them anymore.

Kelvin

Hi everyone. I have been reading tons of articles and reviews about dashcams and looking online and I am more confused than ever! I just need to get some simple advice (hopefully) about what I should buy.

I am looking to buy two, possibly three dashcams. I already expect to pay a lot of money, so price is not a problem. I'd rather spend a lot of money on something good than a little money on crap. I was originally only going to buy one dashcam as a birthday present for my son, but decided to get one for myself and (maybe) another for my other son.

My youngest son (birthday boy) has a nice car but lives in a condo that only has a carport. Although the condo development is gated, there are no garages and no security cameras. Last week somebody parked next to him and sideswiped the entire side of his car and left a huge dent in his driver side door. Needless to say, he was pissed. He made a police report, but without evidence or proof there is nothing police can do. As a birthday present I am having his car repaired, which is very expensive, and I had the brilliant idea that a dashcam was also necessary for after the car is repaired in the event this happens again.

We live in the Coachella Valley (Palm Desert, CA) and it is extremely hot here. Just a couple of days ago the temperature was 119 and the next day 117 (Fahrenheit). I am looking for something that is able to withstand these extreme temperatures. I have no idea how hot the inside of the car gets when parked in the sun on a 119 degree day! I also want good quality video night or day that is able to record all around the car to catch a license plate number. I will pay whatever is necessary for a very good dashcam. Also, if there is such a thing, we need it to record when the car isn't running. Maybe it doesn't have to record constantly, but it has to be able to sense motion or an impact or something and record that.

I noticed there are several sizes of memory, so I am assuming a 128gb is better than an 8gb or 16gb or 32gb or 64gb. Then I was reading about batteries and LCD and other stuff and I am completely confused! I am not a techie, but I'm not a complete idiot either. However, my boys and I all drive really nice cars that we want to keep in pristine condition, since we worked really hard to be able to buy them!

By the way, I was primarily leaning toward the Lukas LK-7900 ACE 128gb, but I am seeing a lot of options and accessories and I don't know what I need. Then I see there are possibly other dashcams that may be able to withstand high heat temps. I just really need some good, sound advice.

I am in your same boat. See my post in another forum. This website is very frustrating. Nobody has any definitive answers. Just opinions. Some bias. Some just plain wrong. Buying a dash cam is a crap shoot. If, by some miracle, you find answers to your needs, please let me know.

Panorama, high heat capability, good results day or night, 5 second pre buffer on motion detect means a triggered event will be caught on camera, 128gb card support

Look for this same functionality coming in a dual remote cam model as well toward the end of the year, that will be one to look out for
Take a look at this and tell me what you think:https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/street-guardian-sg9665gc-v2-dashcam-review-install.20888/

Back