New to the YI Cam, got a 23L

JKY

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, new to the forum.

Having owned an SJ400 for approx 2 years I just bought myself a Yi Cam as it seems to have a lot of good features. Not used it too much yet, just a bit of driving. So I am still assessing in the lens is ok and if I am happy with the bitrates from the standard firmware. (1.2.12)

I have the 23L version which as I understand it doesn’t have an IR Filter. I will mostly use this cam for snowboarding and quidcopters. So lots of white and blue sky.

Can you guys help me understand the different and maybe show me the effect of an IR filer and No IR filer?

Hi and welcome,

As you already mentioned, the Z23L, suffers from the lack of IR filter which in case of filming against sun will result in light fringes and flares all over the frame.

Best solution is to buy a replacement lens with integrated IR filter (easily distinguishable by the red bottom element). This will result in better exposed images and less amount of flares and fringes.

I got a z23L too and i'm waiting for the new lens to arrive so don't have a video test right now but i'm planning to make one pretty soon.

This is the lens i've got from ebay uk:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161136798387
hope that helps :)
Lorenzo

23l and 22l cameras have lens without IR cut filter ( by the way gopro 4 be too) . Because of that pictures and videos have this white effect shadows and violett flares(IR radiation).
...here you can see some videos with and without IR:
https://cloud.mail.ru/public/ChD2/TjS39gF66
...look at the video with ir remote you can see every switching the white shadows.
I have replaced lens with the replacement lens from gearbest: 100 % fitting to the mount and pictures now without shadows and flares:
http://www.gearbest.com/action-cameras-sport-dv-accessories/pp_216636.html
look at my thread you can read all and watching video replacing lens...
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/replacement-of-lens-version-l-camera.14329/

good luck

Reactions: JKY
Thanks gente, I can see how the none IR looks a bit yellow and flairs up.

I wasn't keen on the idea of modding them cam, seems like risky work but as I hope to use mine on the snow, water or in the air I guess I will have to in order to get the most out of it.

...no risky work, you only have to get off the hot glue from lens. Take a hairdryer to warm it softly up and remove it with a small screwdriver or sharp cutter until you can move and screw it out. For me in 10 minutes all done...with focussing new IR lens. The result will be great, no white shadows on sunny footages.

I am also interested in changing the original lens with one with IR filter to take still images for pano pictures: the original lens has flares when shooting in front of the sun.

Lorenzo88 : I see your replacement lens is for gopro hero2 which has a 1/2.5 image sensor size and a (D?)FOV of 170 degrees. When fitted on Yi it would produce images with vignetting, I suppose. Can you please share your pictures when you have the lens?

gente : I saw your sample video with your new lens which looks fine. Could you please take and post/share two or more stills (16 MP, 4:3 ratio) in front of the sun and one to the sky on a sunny day? It would be very useful to compare with the pictures I take with the original lens.

Thank you

I am also interested in changing the original lens with one with IR filter to take still images for pano pictures: the original lens has flares when shooting in front of the sun.

Lorenzo88 : I see your replacement lens is for gopro hero2 which has a 1/2.5 image sensor size and a (D?)FOV of 170 degrees. When fitted on Yi it would produce images with vignetting, I suppose. Can you please share your pictures when you have the lens?

gente : I saw your sample video with your new lens which looks fine. Could you please take and post/share two or more stills (16 MP, 4:3 ratio) in front of the sun and one to the sky on a sunny day? It would be very useful to compare with the pictures I take with the original lens.

Thank you
Ciao Scuola,

The lens i've got is 170 degrees which is 15 degrees wider then the original xiaomi one and to be honest with you i don't know if its going to give some vignetting but what i can tell you for sure is that i bought it under suggestion of another guy that had been using it for a while with no problems at all! So hopefully will work fine for me too!

I'll post a video sample when i receive it, it should get delivered on monday or tuesday :)

Lorenzo

Ciao Lorenzo,

It was just a doubt considering the image sensor size as in the item description: good that it is already tested and it is ok.
Thank you for posting some stills, if possible in front of the sun: I am testing the cam to shoot pano pictures, not sure to buy a rig of six yet.

Giuseppe

I have the 22L version. A bit gutted to learn it doesn't have an IR? what versions do have an IR?

I have the 22L version. A bit gutted to learn it doesn't have an IR? what versions do have an IR?

Every camera without "L" has IR filter (22;23;23A;23S)

What did the different divisions denote? Isn't it preferable to have an IR filter for a dashcam?

Yes, of course it is better to have camera with IR filter and serial numbers of cameras which i posted in brackets HAS IR filters on lens. So this is an answer to your question. Isnt it ? :)

Hi, I have asked banggood about the hardware. Here is the answer :
For the item SKU209350, the SN number Z22/Z23 will be random distribution by Xiaomi company. So we can not make sure you will not receive a z23L. No matter what the version is, the product quality is the same.
Every xiaomi sports camera has no IR filter

Apparently, they lied? My Z22 appears to have one while the 23L does not.

Hi Guys :) I got my camera on friday. I haven't tested it yet, but it's 23L so i blindly ordered lens replacement and +2 more batteries :p
I will be mostly using the cam as Dashcam and skiing, so i want everything to be perfect :)

...for dashcam using when work with "autorotating" you have to change in firmware the "center" AEtable if needed. The cam do not rotate auto exposure metering mode table (only rotate the picture), so the ground would become too dark when you have sunny and bright sky (normally it tooks value by ground of picture)!
Or you have to use the avarage mode, all values of picture are the same, for me this mode is not good. So i changed the average mode to a mirrored center mode for dahcam using.
This thread discuss that problem: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/dashcam-mode-rotated-image-hint.14587/#post-191106
Also you can switch off LED's because of mirroring in windshield.
You can autostart recording when switch on camera by script in attachment, but not booting xiaomi automatically by power on USB like other dashcams (you have to boot and stop by your own).
Best quality resolution for dashcam would be 1080 60fps for smooth footages, about 60minutes with one battery (but you can also record with USB power of car or powerbank) --> 7:35minutes = 2GB auto filesplittig, but you can set via script to 4GB.
Code:
#set file size to 4GB
sleep 3
writew 0xC03A8520 0x2004
sleep 1
...so you have to read and learning a little bit here in the forum about using and making scripts ;)

MFG
gente

Attachments

• Autostart_power_on.zip
    213 bytes · Views: 9
Thanks for the reply and for the indepth info. I've checked the other topic,but will do the test tomorrow morning when i am with the car.

edit: About the AE table how can i access it ? it should be somwehre on the sd card ?

That's my first test. These IR spots are bloody annoying. I will have to wait 2-3 weeks until the lens is here.

Back