New to this site, been looking at dashcams

After reading all your posts I started to laugh uncontrollable for 10 minutes. Heaven help the Seller who sold you a DVR. The Seller must be waiting in a sweat for the 30 day return policy at Amazon to come to an end. You sound like you will never be satisfied. A word of advice, if you really wanted a proven DVR top of the line with fantastic support and ongoing firmware updates try the Street Guardian SG9665GC v2 2016 edition.
Seeing the various videos on YouTube where you see some people being jerks then suddenly getting a deserved dose of karma, as well as people causing accidents, etc, my interest in finding a decent dashcam has been sparked (again).

The last time I really checked was a few years ago, when even low end dashcams were still well over $50 unless on sale. So, with my interest sparked again from the videos, I'm trying to learn what I can about the different products available.

What I'm interested in finding a list of cams (and hopefully buying one) that fit these criteria...
1. High quality is a must. I'm not expecting cinematic quality where you can zoom in on a building that is a mile away and see a couple of people making out. However, being able to read a license plate, street signs, etc, without having to be within 10 feet is definitely desired. Fairly decent night recording, as in, not crap, and 18+ fps using a reasonable bitrate. (I'm guessing the bitrates are fairly standard, but wanted to add that in just to be sure.)
2. GPS is also a must. Can be quite useful, especially if someone is challenging or questioning where something took place.
3. Speed of the vehicle. Preferred by not required and if available, would like the option to disable it, though push come to shove, ability to turn it off is only a minor preference.
4. Somewhat discreet. The more discreet the better, of course, but my focus and interest is that it's not an eye sore. A couple of cams that I came across from browsing this site and looking on Amazon, are the Dome D201 and DAB202. To me, the 202 is acceptable, but the 201, not so much.
5. Minimum of 64gb microSD support, prefer 128gb or higher.
6. Date/time configuration - Prefer year/mm/dd but mm/dd/year is acceptable if other isn't an option. I insist on 24hr format for the time though.
7. Audio switch (can disable audio if I want).
8. Automatically recycle the space on the microSD card. I know some (or all?) break the videos down into segments, usually by amount of time recorded. Highly prefer loss-less recording. If I play a few pieces back to back, no jumps, cluing you in to the fact that there was a file change. For ones that record based on amount of time, being able to select the file sizes would be nice, though not too important.
9. Ability to press a button (or two?) to protect a segment from being overwritten. Also some sort option where I can turn the cam off or have it in standby mode or 'motion detect' mode. ** See below
10. Best bang for the buck, of course. :)

** My vehicle, 2004 GMC Envoy XL, is one of those where the outlets are "always on" even when the vehicle isn't. So cams that rely on active power to toggle recorder or not isn't a reliable setting for me. Thus being able to press a button to turn off recording is desired. Having it auto-resume based on amount of movement could make things easier as well. If there is an easy way for a cam to detect that status of the vehicle (engine on or not) despite the outlets, that works too.

I hope that I'm not seeming like too much of a noob and I hope what I listed isn't asking the impossible. The list isn't really in order of priority, though quality, gps, storage and date/time stamping are of importance. I'm taking a guess that a couple of things I listed are pretty standard among most cams, but felt it better to include vs assuming.

Thanks in advance for responses.

P.S.
If it's permitted, then I can provide a couple of links to videos that show where some of my renewed interest came from. One is a somewhat popular video of an accident on the highway (decent quality video) and other is of a minor fender-bender (also decent video, but has GPS information on it).

Um, okay? Quoting a post of yours and a post of mine seems to be a moot point, especially when I already responded to your post before. Not only out of my price range, but I already got one (purchased DAB205 from @CaptureYourAction) and looking to hold onto it.

[/QUOTE]That sucks dude. I've been using one for awhile now without any noticeable issues. That and with the rating it has, it seems to be a decent card.[/QUOTE]

Good for you....
So were the ratings of those bricks when I bought them...
Ratings can be manipulated in many ways.

Last edited:
@Wolfie
I don't think lowering the resolution will help. Not going to want to do that in the long run anyway. If your looking for a 128GB, the Netac U3 seems to work fine. I have not tested it personally, but iptelman has been using it in both of his DAB202s with success. For 64GB, Adata Class 10 U1 have been fine for me. One user of the DAB205 switched to a Sandisk Extreme U3 64GB after issues with the first card he was using (not sure what the card was he was having an issue with). He said the SanDisk Extreme is fine. Normally I would tell you to avoid SanDisk, so it would be up to you if you wanted to try that card. I think someone told me they had issues with a Samsung EVO card, but don't recall what size it was. Let me know how you make out.

@Wolfie
I don't think lowering the resolution will help. Not going to want to do that in the long run anyway. If your looking for a 128GB, the Netac U3 seems to work fine.
I ordered and tried out the 64GB Netac U3 and experiencing the same issues. Even tested inside the house, using the USB cable provided, stable power source, just having it record. Also had tested with a 16GB Patriot class 10 microSD HC card with the same results. Though since I've had that card for awhile, I'm not certain if it's experienced any decline in quality/reliability do to usage. Tried using the reset to defaults option as well.

It did freeze up on me again, but that might be due to my vehicle. Noticed that the light on the adapter would go out, so that could have been confusing the dashcam some. Should point out that I've never had that sort of an issue before, so not sure what to make of it. Either way, the freezing up might not be a fault of the cam.

I ordered and tried out the 64GB Netac U3 and experiencing the same issues. Even tested inside the house, using the USB cable provided, stable power source, just having it record. Also had tested with a 16GB Patriot class 10 microSD HC card with the same results. Though since I've had that card for awhile, I'm not certain if it's experienced any decline in quality/reliability do to usage. Tried using the reset to defaults option as well.

It did freeze up on me again, but that might be due to my vehicle. Noticed that the light on the adapter would go out, so that could have been confusing the dashcam some. Should point out that I've never had that sort of an issue before, so not sure what to make of it. Either way, the freezing up might not be a fault of the cam.
When using the USB cable in the house, it's connected to an outlet via an adapter not your computer correct? Also, are you formatting the card in the camera?

Noticed that the light on the adapter would go out, so that could have been confusing the dashcam some.

I'd suggest doing some investigation here. Any noise coming down the wire to the cam from an unstable supply could cause problems. That light has to remain lit.
Are you driving a European car by chance?

When using the USB cable in the house, it's connected to an outlet via an adapter not your computer correct? Also, are you formatting the card in the camera?
Formatted card using camera, powered by USB and connected to a fully charged RavPower RP-PB07 (I've had it for less than a year but I've relied on it a couple of times, so it's proven itself to me - https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00XC1WAQ6). Reason for not connecting directly to a power outlet is to avoid power fluctuations which might affect the dashcam.

I'd suggest doing some investigation here. Any noise coming down the wire to the cam from an unstable supply could cause problems. That light has to remain lit.
Are you driving a European car by chance?
2004 GMC Envoy XL

Formatted card using camera, powered by USB and connected to a fully charged RavPower RP-PB07 (I've had it for less than a year but I've relied on it a couple of times, so it's proven itself to me - https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00XC1WAQ6). Reason for not connecting directly to a power outlet is to avoid power fluctuations which might affect the dashcam.

2004 GMC Envoy XL
You've tried the camera without the Ravpower though right? You've tried the cigarette adapter (that came with the camera) in the car to power the camera right?

You've tried the camera without the Ravpower though right? You've tried the cigarette adapter (that came with the camera) in the car to power the camera right?
RavPower was only the last in-house test. Previously, using the cigarette adapter (in car) or power strip with USB connectors. The RavPower was only to ensure steady power. More or less, trying to eliminate any chance that there were power fluctuations interfering.

Not making any sort of excuses, as it is starting to look like it may be the unit...

I've found the cheap USB cable that came with the unit to be unreliable in that any slight movement of the cam would cause a restart.
Have you tried the camera using the supplied power adapter in a different vehicle and been able to reproduce the fault?

Not making any sort of excuses, as it is starting to look like it may be the unit...

I've found the cheap USB cable that came with the unit to be unreliable in that any slight movement of the cam would cause a restart.
Have you tried the camera using the supplied power adapter in a different vehicle and been able to reproduce the fault?
Haven't tried a second vehicle yet. Only reason I tried it with the supplied USB cable was to make sure it wasn't my USB cable causing the issue (had tried it with one I've had for awhile).

My hope is that it's something simple to fix without having to do an exchange (I dread the packaging up part of sending anything anywhere, it annoys me greatly). I have another cable I can use to test it real quick. The problem is, even though there are a couple of cables that haven't given me any problems, I question reliability anyways due to how long I've had them.

I did notice, with at least one of the cables I already had, that the slightest movement would cause a connection issue. When doing the test with the RavPower unit, I left it alone, so it had no movement. Will try it with a different cable though, to get additional testing results.

Will try it with a different cable though, to get additional testing results.
And already did a power cycle on me at roughly a min or so in.

If you were close we could take your cam and plug it into my car and test... Would eliminate the Power cord as well as the vehicle.

If you were close we could take your cam and plug it into my car and test... Would eliminate the Power cord as well as the vehicle.
Well you know where I'm at (Earth), so go on a trip here. LOL

Last edited:
Well you know where I'm at, so go on a trip here. LOL
Have you tried running the camera with no memory card installed? Just wondering if it will have the same issues. I would think if it's some kind of connection issue, that it would restart with no card as well.

Have you tried running the camera with no memory card installed? Just wondering if it will have the same issues. I would think if it's some kind of connection issue, that it would restart with no card as well.
The only time I ever notice the issue is when it's recording. I don't recall it ever restarting on me when it's not recording, even when I've taken my time to look through the menu options for several minutes.

Do the restarts occur often, or do you think it could record for an hour before a restart? Do you get any message when it restarts? Does it say recovering or anything like that? Maybe leave it plugged in and on for awhile with no card installed, just to see if a restart occurs.

Do the restarts occur often, or do you think it could record for an hour before a restart? Do you get any message when it restarts? Does it say recovering or anything like that? Maybe leave it plugged in and on for awhile with no card installed, just to see if a restart occurs.
I think the longest it's been able to go is up to 15 minutes. I know it's managed to reach nine minutes at least once, but it usually happens before six minutes, if it manages to make it past three minutes.

It powered down after about 10 or so min. I set it to never power down, but I guess it still has a limit. Giving it another test.

Back