New to this site, been looking at dashcams

I think the longest it's been able to go is up to 15 minutes. I know it's managed to reach nine minutes at least once, but it usually happens before six minutes, if it manages to make it past three minutes.
Do you get any message?

It powered down after about 10 or so min. I set it to never power down, but I guess it still has a limit. Giving it another test.
You had auto shutdown to off? With auto shutdown on and the camera on but not recording, it would then shutdown after a certain amount of time.

Do you get any message?
When it would auto-restart during recordings, there were times I would see it saying, "Recovering."

I have the auto-power down set to off right now for the testing. It had shut down after about 10 or so min, but I'm not entirely sure if the RavPower was supplying power to it (and not sure how charged it is). So doing another test and I know RavPower is supplying the juice for it. Still running since my last post when I said I was trying it again. Like I said before, only seems to happen during recordings.

OK. I think you've done more than enough in trying to "fix" the issue. I'll PM you with exchange info.

OK. I think you've done more than enough in trying to "fix" the issue. I'll PM you with exchange info.
:( If I were to include a card, would you be willing to give it a test in a known-working DAB205 just so I know if it was a good testing candidate? (Would be the 16gb Patriot). Also, any chance of pre-testing the exchange while waiting for the return? (Asking here in case the answers can be used as a reference for anyone else who may have these questions for you in the future.)

:( If I were to include a card, would you be willing to give it a test in a known-working DAB205 just so I know if it was a good testing candidate? (Would be the 16gb Patriot). Also, any chance of pre-testing the exchange while waiting for the return? (Asking here in case the answers can be used as a reference for anyone else who may have these questions for you in the future.)
Actually, I was going to ask if you wouldn't mind sending the card along. I've never used/tested a Patriot card, but worth a test. I will certainly make sure to let it run for awhile to confirm it's working properly.

Actually, I was going to ask if you wouldn't mind sending the card along. I've never used/tested a Patriot card, but worth a test. I will certainly make sure to let it run for awhile to confirm it's working properly.
Or perhaps the 128gb SP, since that's what I actually want to use. Could send the Patriot too. Give you something to test a couple of other dashcams with to see which it works with (or not), for knowledge purposes.

I'm wondering if a reload of the latest firmware might be worth a try.
What do you think CYA?

If @Wolfie wants to try I will send him the link to the latest version. I doubt it will help, but couldn't hurt.

Already had installed the latest firmware, but tried it again to no avail. (Already discussed in PM with CYA.)

Would have been wonderful if that had fixed the issue, as I seriously hate doing returns (or in this case, an exchange). Sent a couple of the cards I tried, hopefully those will work without any issue, further narrowing down the issue to being the cam.

Well, CYA contacted me. Unit I had gotten was indeed defective. :( New one he will be sending already appears to be in working order. I can see why @jokiin recommended him in his first reply to this discussion. CYA is definitely on top of things when it comes to trying to get things right. Not easy to get a lot a praise from me, so when I give it, believe me, there's a reason.

On the plus side, since this is more of a want vs a need, it's a good thing that I got it, as opposed to someone who can't afford to deal with a defective dashcam. If someone is going to get one, better if it's not someone who has to rely on it.

For those interested, Wolfie lent me a Silicon Power 128GB card and a Patriot 16GB card, both class 10 and they seem to run fine in the DAB205. I tested the SP card for about 2 hours and the Patriot for a little over an hour. Not a long test, but I think they should be fine. These 2 cards also seem to run fine in the G90C dash camera as well.

Well, CYA contacted me. Unit I had gotten was indeed defective. :( New one he will be sending already appears to be in working order. I can see why @jokiin recommended him in his first reply to this discussion. .

Honestly I don't know @CaptureYourAction I don't know anything about his business, but I can see from his activity here that he goes out of his way to help get things sorted, often when it wasn't even his customer but he knows the product, that tells me his attitude is good and is unlikely to let you down when it comes to servicing his own customer, good to hear that your positive experience supports that

Okay so it showed up on Monday (though from the tracking, it almost looked like it wouldn't be). Made a quick drive to a store to get something to eat, roughly a 13m trip, no issues. Tonight, did a couple of things, left it running, non-stop, during the entire trip. 1h 41m video, no issues. It took a picture when I tried to turn off the display (top button = picture I'm guessing?) but anyways, so far so good. Quality of the video details could be a tad better, but that's only because the plastic film is still on it (quality is already great, I think when I remove the film, it will be a little better, so this isn't a complaint, just an observation). It took a few minutes for the GPS to get a signal, but it was most likely due to the storm, since it had been working fine the other times I've used it. Still testing the GPS to decide if I need to 'flip it over' or not before I apply it to the windshield.

Only thing that comes to mind that wish had been done differently (and this isn't something CYA has any control over), for there to be an adapter cable that would accept the power and the GPS to make it into one single cable to plug into the camera. Since I don't let it sit in the car when I'm not out anywhere, hooking it up before driving can be a little annoying when having to find and put in a couple of plugs vs one. Or the GPS could be the USB plug and it could have a port to accept the powered USB, so in a way, it accepts the power and then adds the GPS signal to it.

CYA, at some point, I might decide to order than special lens you have for this unit. Along with removing the film, I'm sure it will greatly improve the image, especially for night time recordings. Oh and that little extra cable you included (I hope on purpose) is wonderful, makes it more convenient when trying to get to the power button, instead of having to fight the cable for it. Thanks!
:)

You didn't remove the film from the lens?? :confused:
Yes I'd say that will improve the picture quality.

As far as the CPL filter, it's best for daytime use, not at night.

You didn't remove the film from the lens?? :confused:
Yes I'd say that will improve the picture quality.

As far as the CPL filter, it's best for daytime use, not at night.
Well, it's still new, so want to make sure it's working all fine and everything before I 'fully unpack it' so to speak. The quality of the picture is pretty decent as it is, despite the film still being on it. I thought the CPL would help with nighttime quality as well?

Back