New to this site, been looking at dashcams

The CPL will help with reflected light coming from the dash. It will also provide a bit richer more saturated colors.
As with any filter, it decreases the available light to the camera, therefore not the best thing for night use.

Yeah, CPL is best for day use. I honestly haven't had a chance to check out night video with the CPL yet, but it will definitely make night video darker. While I like what it does, color wise, to the picture you should probably judge by the reflections whether you need the CPL. It's easy to remove/install.
Definitely remove the film on the lens. Hard to judge video with it on.

Now that I have the CPL, I would not consider daytime driving without it.
For me it represented a huge improvement.

Still testing the GPS to decide if I need to 'flip it over' or not before I apply it to the windshield

Interested in the outcome here as I have this inability to read prior to mounting things. :rolleyes:

Interested in the outcome here as I have this inability to read prior to mounting things. :rolleyes:
Where do you have it mounted? I have mine mounted in top right corner of windshield. While I guess it's technically upside down, I don't seem to have any issue.

I also have no issues. It's mounted sticky side to windshield behind mirror.
Thought MAYBE acquisition time might be shorted the other way around.

Maybe. Though your also mounted very close to camera, which might could cause some interference. I have not opened up the GPS module, so not sure how easy it is to flip. Unless it bothers you, not sure if bother.

Yeah, CPL is best for day use. I honestly haven't had a chance to check out night video with the CPL yet, but it will definitely make night video darker. While I like what it does, color wise, to the picture you should probably judge by the reflections whether you need the CPL. It's easy to remove/install.
Definitely remove the film on the lens. Hard to judge video with it on.
I removed it, haven't compared the difference yet though. Can't imagine the quality getting too much better with it off, considering how great it was already.

I'm scared of the dark. :eek:
Haven't tried it yet.
You chicken. :)

@Wolfie
What are you using to view videos? Registrator Player works well.
Been using that since you recommended it awhile back. Much MUCH better than that Car(whatever)Player.

Maybe. Though your also mounted very close to camera, which might could cause some interference. I have not opened up the GPS module, so not sure how easy it is to flip. Unless it bothers you, not sure if bother.
Only 'issue' I'm having is that flipping it around might give me slightly better reception. I've noticed that with sticky side up, when reception is first achieved, it's 2/3 green bars (with the final one being red) and it takes several minutes before the third bar turns green. Seems to go to 3/3 green faster with the sticky side down. Not sure how reliable 2/3 is, though if there is a drop in signal quality when driving somewhere, that last bar might make a big difference.

Know of any good guides on how to flip it? :)

I have it a little bit of a go.
As far as I am concerned it looks like it will be leaving with the car.

Know of any good guides on how to flip it? :)
I have not done it. I would think it's similar to any video of similar style GPS modules. I assume there is a screw or 2 under the adhesive pad.

Maybe I'll just stick it to the side area (between windshield and door), might be able to face it up there. Really would prefer a guide instead of trying to do it blind. I tried searching for one but didn't find anything. Oh well.
If I can stick it on the side facing up, then that should work, providing it gets a signal without any issues. :)

You could temporarily stick it to the windshield upside down (GPS label facing out) using some tape or maybe just placing it on the dash, just to see if you notice a signal difference.

You could temporarily stick it to the windshield upside down (GPS label facing out) using some tape or maybe just placing it on the dash, just to see if you notice a signal difference.
I attached it to the windshield, though wishing I had tried your idea. Oh well. When I stop being a lazy butt, I'll scrape it off and then affix it somewhere else. Only issue I'm having is sometimes it's taking a few minutes to show a signal, though sometimes if I twist the plug piece a little, it seems to fix it, as though there wasn't a clean connection. But it seems to be hit and miss, so it's likely just a coincidence when it suddenly works.

Enough of that though. Had a few things that I managed to get and planning to make a little 'compilation' video of little bits of bad drivers, then today had a good one happen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?edit=vd&v=3XdZMkrsjGU

Would be funny if he came across it and saw himself being a jerk. Now if only I had enough cams to get all angles, I could get more worth videos to share. LOL

Back