NEW Vantrue N4 cam opinions?

Kicker0927

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I see the new Vantrue N4 was released. Has anyone had a chance to test this bad boy out? Any opinions? I don’t know a lot about Vantrue products, but I see the N4 is 3-channel, has super capacitor, 24hr parking mode coverage, etc. I noticed it doesn’t have WiFi capability which is kind of a bummer, but it looks like a solid cam system. Does Vantrue at least have a decent app interface? I also noticed it’s a suction cup type mount so I wonder how well that will work for this of us who have to mount cameras off-center due to larger rear view mirror sensor boxes. Either way, I’ll be interested to hear more about this cam.

I have not seen any feedback on it yet, but it look alright.
Well sort off, the 2 cameras in 1 unit for the windscreen i an not happy about, cuz to get any use of the cabin camera i would have to install it very low on the windscreen to see below my mirror, or i would have to offset it to the side which i also find less than optimal.
I was among the testers for the B2W camera, and while i tested it i had the mirror in my car removed, so i could still have it in a sensible location.
Also i feel to get any use of a cabin camera, it too must be mounted as far up as it can, so if / when i get to test a camera with a remote cabin camera, i would put that cabin camera on my mirror stalk as it is super well designed for that.

I've had one Vantrue cam and I did like several things about it. They do seem to make good quality cams.This new N4 is the first 3-channel dashcam I've heard of and I like the concept (y) Like kamkar1 mentions, the form-factor may not work for some people unless it's mounted in an awkward spot so it's 2 cams can see where they need to with the front one in an area covered by the windshield wipers at the same time :whistle: I do like that it's super-cap equipped, but it looks like the same old mount interface at the cam, and some people who pull the cam regularly report those loosen up in time :( Mine was so tight that I just released the suction mount instead.

My main concern at this point is the bitrates being used here. Good vid quality requires high bitrates but there's a limit on how fast they can be with currently available microSD cards- somewhere at or below 30Mbs seems to be it :oops: To get good 1080P vid quality takes at least 15Mbs per cam so with 3 cams going to one card something is going to suffer. The interior cam can probably do OK at 10Mps but the others need more- lots more- and it's not there to be had :unsure:

So here we are speculating :rolleyes: but I too am looking forward to seeing what this cam can do and how they handle the bitrate limitation.

Phil

I too am curious about this 3 channel cam from Vantrue.

One thing I notice, their mounting options are only suction cup currently. Even their GPS mount accessory is suction cup (unlike on the N2, their GPS mount is 3M adhesive).

Vantrue does seem to be big on suction mounts and batteries- a bit behind the times there I'd say. IIRC the N2Pro had an optional suction mount GPS as well as an optional sticky mount, which are often supplied with other cams. The N2Pro was the second decent "taxi" cam on the market and the T2 was first with a radar parking mode so along with this new one it's clear they can be innovative, just maybe not consistently so. I really don't know what to think of Vantrue's approach to dashcams at this point. Still waiting to see about this one- maybe they'll get it all right this time around?

Phil

I'm happy with mine. I hard wired it. Vantrue is cheap with the length of cord but I love the 3 camera option.

I want to buy this camera but one problem is this. Camera dont have low bitrate recording. It only record parking mode g-sensor or motion detection + g sensor. Motion detection is only working in front and inside car. Back camera dont have motion detection.

Vantrue rarely updates firmware and will probably not add a low-bitrate mode to the N4. If low-bitrate is a must for you then you need to look elsewhere.

On other Vantrue cams the 'motion detect' works better than many do but can vary between individual cams considerably. Given a good unit I'd consider it fairly reliable but you may not get a good unit.

Phil

Vantrue rarely updates firmware and will probably not add a low-bitrate mode to the N4. If low-bitrate is a must for you then you need to look elsewhere.

On other Vantrue cams the 'motion detect' works better than many do but can vary between individual cams considerably. Given a good unit I'd consider it fairly reliable but you may not get a good unit.

Phil

We wait we see, i emailed them and they responded they will send this idea to the software team :)

Have vantrue n4 for testing. I have some problems with it motion detection seems to work poorly. Sometimes it record 10 sec or 20sec but sometimes i noticed it stóp recording even if there is a big object moving in front of camera :/

I've only had the N2Pro where it didn't work, but in general motion detection doesn't work well in almost all dashcams :( In 10 different cams I've owned from 9 different companies none have been reliable using motion detect, and it only worked at all in a few of them.

Blackvue and Thinkware seem to do it best, but even theirs have been known to miss events. I wouldn't rely on it for parking protection unless there are no other options; low bitrate recording seems to be the most reliable parking mode to use today, but as 'radar' detection develops more it may become the preferred way ;)

Phil

Back