New Video Shows Yi Dashcam is Better Than A119?

van1337

Reaction score
Country
Canada
What do you think? It looks like the Yi Dashcam has better visibility.

Both dashcams appear to be on the latest firmware.

Colour seems better but @1.40 tell tail sign that the Xiaoyi can't handle sudden light changes as good as the A119.
Later when the lights are off you can tell the ISO/exposure are pushed up making the Xiaoyi a grainy image.

Based on brightness and colour you could think the Xiaoyi did a better job but I think it just has its ISO/exposure pushed up.
I don't think either of them have a sharp image when the car turns.

I think the A119 did a better job.

The A119's picture is too orange/yellow. The Yi's image is much closer to reality.

Try reading the number plates and bright signs on both from around 1:00 on.

201759647d26-1b02-4f69-95f0-31b50acefae3.png

A119 has a shaper image than yi's. Yi's is brigher than A119.
in daylight, you will see big diffirent between A119 and Yi. A119 is supperior than Yi in anyway.
Yi also has hot pixels everywhere:
2017b5e93c8f-bf1e-4def-89a1-13a4d3603b37.png

The Yi has brighter images but lacks detail clarity, so its a choice of which you prefer to have. Most want their dashcams to best show number plates- A119 wins that game. Most action cam users want bright images- Yi wins that game. So a lot of what you see here reflects on the background that each manufacturer comes from and their perspective of what is 'best'.

With SOC-type cams you don't get both brightness and clarity together in low-light conditions- there is simply not enough circuitry to allow that, nor does the market want to accept the size and price of a cam which can do both well. You pay your money and you make your choice of one or the other. Or you buy both and run them side-by-side ;)

Phil

Most want their dashcams to best show number plates- A119 wins that game. Most action cam users want bright images- Yi wins that game.
That would be true if this Yi was the action camera, which isn't. In fact, this Yi dashcam has nothing to do with the Xiaomi Yi action camera and it's not even made by the same company. ;)

201759647d26-1b02-4f69-95f0-31b50acefae3.png

A119 has a shaper image than yi's. Yi's is brigher than A119.
in daylight, you will see big diffirent between A119 and Yi. A119 is supperior than Yi in anyway.
I've watched a comparison between the A119, the A119 S, the Opia 2 and the Yi and overall the Yi is better in all aspects (except on what they sound like because people insist on not putting the cameras' audio in the comparison videos :mad:), especially when it comes to showing colors much closer to what they are in reality and number plates of oncoming vehicles.

According to me it is a mistake to compare Yi with the A119. I compared it with the A119S because both cameras have a "night mode".

According to the video in lit conditions Yi looks better. Video become natural color to white. But in a place without light has Yi blue colored filter and I do not like it. A119 has worse visibility but the colors are the same.
(google translate helped)

I've watched a comparison between the A119, the A119 S, the Opia 2 and the Yi and overall the Yi is better in all aspects (except on what they sound like because people insist on not putting the cameras' audio in the comparison videos :mad:), especially when it comes to showing colors much closer to what they are in reality and number plates of oncoming vehicles.
look at my post above and see a video again. This is my simple expamle. You can see very clear at another spot, cant you ?

Back