No CPL filter
Sharpness Normal

No CPL sharpness normal.jpg

EV 0
WDR ON
CPL filter on
Sharpness Strong

CPL on sharpness hard.jpg

I'm not impressed with the first night time video. Here is a screenshot. What is causing all the curved light spikes on every light/street lamp? These are completely raw images and untouched. Just screenshots. Both these and the day time screenshots in my first post were taken at 1920 x 1080P 60 fps

EV 0
WDR ON
CPL filter on
Sharpness Strong

Night CPL on.jpg

Night CPL on 2.jpg

Last edited:
Dirty windows, dirty lens or CPL can cause that effect

Brand new cam, main lens untouched. Brand new CPL filter, lens untouched. Windshield washed inside and out this afternoon.

Try it outside of the car and see if you get the same result, if you do then it's not the window

Camera doesn't power on without a power source, so how can I take it outside of the car at night? This has capacitors which I have found do not power up the cam unless plugged into a power source.

Same video file. Approaching a Stewart's Convenient Store seen on the right. Complete whiteout appearance.

Whiteout.jpg

Here's a short video snippet from tonight's first night time test drive.

Here's a short video snippet from tonight's first night time test drive.

Looks like you have some sort of polish/wax on the windshield, you need to clean it with detergent that leaves zero residue.

Car washes, road tar, road salt and road debris, etc can leave a film on windshield.
Inside, upper vents, over a period of time can cause an oxidizing film inside.
I’ve had excellent results using 50/50 vinegar and water on both sides of the windshield.

Thanks gentleman. A few days ago I did take my car through an automated, touchless carwash. I chose the works, which I know included some type of wax finish. I did clean both the inside and outside windshield just prior to mounting the new camera. I will redo it again today or tomorrow using something else.

Yes even if you don't smoke, then being a dashcam owner you really have to be on the ball with your window cleaning if you want the best possible results.
In the past 8 years or so i have cleaned the inside of my windows 10 X more than i have done in the previous +2 decades of driving and being a smoker back then, actually i have started to wonder how the hell i was able to see anything back then cuz cleaning windscreen inside was only done in the winter if it had ice / dew on it.

Same go for washing my car, in the past 2 years i have had a flat rate car was subscription costing about 12 USD /mo, so now my car get washed at least 1 time every week.
Before this flatrate car wash deal i maybe washed my car once every month. as 12 USD are pretty much what the cheapest car was cost here, and the most expensive car wash are close to 20 USD

Now i clean my windscreen on the inside to kill time ( 3 minutes ) when i sit in my car inside the washing machine at wash world.
Other windows not so much as i cant reach them from the driver seat ;)

Try these settings:
EV - (-1/3)
WDR OF
CPL filter OF
Sharpness strong

+ Clean glass from inside the car.

View attachment 45941 View attachment 45942

They look generally nice. I do still see the long spikes emanating from the street lamps... somewhat curved like in my earlier night screenshots though. I'm wondering if they can be eliminated all together.

somewhat curved like in my earlier night screenshots though
I think this is a fee for a wide angle horizontally, this does not affect the quality of the video, especially since my 119S has an alternative lens with an angle of 120 ° on the horizon.

Car washes, road tar, road salt and road debris, etc can leave a film on windshield.
Inside, upper vents, over a period of time can cause an oxidizing film inside.
I’ve had excellent results using 50/50 vinegar and water on both sides of the windshield.
I do the same, and I clean the inside with horizontal swipes, and the outside with vertical swipes; it is then easy to see any areas that have been missed.

Screenshot from this morning. 1920 x 1080 @60 fps. Bitrate high, EV +1, WDR off, Sharpness soft, CPL filter on. Overcast early morning.

day 4-1.jpg

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
tobi86 A119S 1
R A119S 3
M A119S 11
kiret A119S 10
T A119S 72
Back