New Viofo A139 3CH shutting off during acceleration

JackieJones

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey guys,

I recently bought the A139 on Amazon Prime Day and installed it today. Went to test it out and discovered that when I floor the gas pedal in my Audi A8, the dash cam shuts off and turns back on again. It’s almost as if it’s restarting because of the g-forces from the car’s acceleration. Anyone know why it’s doing this? Could there be a setting I need to change?

Thanks.

Could it be from the alternator turning off to give you some extra power, and the battery voltage dropping as a result?

If you have a 3 wire hardwire kit then it shouldn't be affected by the alternator, if you only have a 2 wire then it is possible, if you are using the lighter socket adaptor then it shouldn't.

Thanks Nigel bud I’m using the cigarette lighter. I’ve tried grabbing at the adapter to see if maybe it’s somewhat loose but it isn’t. Any other ideas? It’s gotta have something to do with the G-forces/g-sensor?

Thanks Nigel bud I’m using the cigarette lighter. I’ve tried grabbing at the adapter to see if maybe it’s somewhat loose but it isn’t. Any other ideas? It’s gotta have something to do with the G-forces/g-sensor?

You sure your 12V socket isn't malfunctioning? Now many choices here on what's wrong. Either the 12V power adapter that came with camera or your 12v socket.

You sure your 12V socket isn't malfunctioning? Now many choices here on what's wrong. Either the 12V power adapter that came with camera or your 12v socket.
I’m positive. This problem only happens during rapid acceleration/high g-forces. I think it has something to do with the dash cam’s g-sensor and it thinking based on the g-forces that the car is in an accident?

I’m positive. This problem only happens during rapid acceleration/high g-forces. I think it has something to do with the dash cam’s g-sensor and it thinking based on the g-forces that the car is in an accident?
Generally, the camera WOULD NOT reboot with G-Force. It just prompts that an event has been saved. So again, it's either your 12V socket or the adapter....But if it'll quell your concerns, try setting the G-Sensor to Low sensitivity and see what happens.

Generally, the camera WOULD NOT reboot with G-Force. It just prompts that an event has been saved. So again, it's either your 12V socket or the adapter....But if it'll quell your concerns, try setting the G-Sensor to Low sensitivity and see what happens.
It’s possible but I’ve had this happen sporadically with other dash cams in other vehicles of mine. These are somewhat fast cars that achieve between 1 and 2 G’s of lateral acceleration. I believe it has something to do with the g-forces. I’m wiggling the adapter in the 12v socket constantly and cannot replicate the problem myself. I already have the g-sensor set to low sensitivity. Thanks.

It’s possible but I’ve had this happen sporadically with other dash cams in other vehicles of mine. These are somewhat fast cars that achieve between 1 and 2 G’s of lateral acceleration. I believe it has something to do with the g-forces. I’m wiggling the adapter in the 12v socket constantly and cannot replicate the problem myself. I already have the g-sensor set to low sensitivity. Thanks.

Sounds more like an electrical fault in your vehicle than the camera. Especially if other cameras behave the same way in your 12V socket.

the dash cam shuts off and turns back on again
Are you sure it is actually powering off?
And if you plug something else into the power socket, does that turn off?

If the g-sensor is triggered, it beeps and has voice notification, mine does that when I stop accelerating.

Sounds more like an electrical fault in your vehicle than the camera. Especially if other cameras behave the same way in your 12V socket.
You missed the “other vehicles” part. I’ve also tried more than one 12V socket.

Are you sure it is actually powering off?
And if you plug something else into the power socket, does that turn off?

If the g-sensor is triggered, it beeps and has voice notification, mine does that when I stop accelerating.
I’m pretty sure it turns off. It makes the turning off chime and then a few seconds later it makes the chime when it turns on. The lights also go off when this happens.

It only happens during extremely hard acceleration, like when I launch my car from 0-60.

I have not tried plugging anything else in the socket to see if that turns off too but that is a great idea. I’m still pretty sure it’s the dashcam because I can wiggle the adapter pretty hard by hand and it never shuts off. It’s in the socket really tight.

I'm for voltage drop during acceleration rather than G-force, as Nigel suggested. But how much HP does your A8 have? (or what is your time 0-60?)

I'm for voltage drop during acceleration rather than G-force, as Nigel suggested. But how much HP does your A8 have? (or what is your time 0-60?)
800 at the crankshaft. 0-60 in 2.41.

What causes voltage drops during acceleration? It happens occasionally on my other (slower) car which has a different brand dashcam when I go really fast around turns.

You missed the “other vehicles” part. I’ve also tried more than one 12V socket.

Never experienced this before. Not something others have mentioned either. Try updating the firmware and seeing if the problem continues. Per my original post and others, this sounds like a voltage / electrical issue. But let's try to do a process of elimination and see if we can narrow things down.

Last edited:
800 at the crankshaft. 0-60 in 2.41.

What causes voltage drops during acceleration? It happens occasionally on my other (slower) car which has a different brand dashcam when I go really fast around turns.
Ok, I though we are talking about something stock. In that case also vibrations could be the case - even only the fact of vibrations in the plug, something like this you won't be able to "simulate" by wiggling it by hand. And I double on electrical "issue" (but probably not an issue in the proper meaning).

I assume alternator cut-off is a thing in your car and then the whole electrical system depends on a battery. High RPMs means fairly high current for coils, then there won't be much room for things like cams in 12V plugs :LOL: But who knows, it's just a guess. I test my A139 almost every day with only 520HP/4.5s, but X7 has three batteries :p (multiple batteries could be your case as well, or having a capacitor).

I think you can try to partially confirm/rule out the G-force theory by powering it through powerbank.

Using a powerbank will positively eliminate vehicle electrics being involved- good first step. I prefer g-sensor for driving to be "off" or set to lowest sensitivity in my rough-riding van with all dashcams. That's what I'd try next.

Phil

Ok, I though we are talking about something stock. In that case also vibrations could be the case - even only the fact of vibrations in the plug, something like this you won't be able to "simulate" by wiggling it by hand. And I double on electrical "issue" (but probably not an issue in the proper meaning).

I assume alternator cut-off is a thing in your car and then the whole electrical system depends on a battery. High RPMs means fairly high current for coils, then there won't be much room for things like cams in 12V plugs :LOL: But who knows, it's just a guess. I test my A139 almost every day with only 520HP/4.5s, but X7 has three batteries :p (multiple batteries could be your case as well, or having a capacitor).

I think you can try to partially confirm/rule out the G-force theory by powering it through powerbank.

What makes me wonder is he said the camera has been tested in other vehicles, and displaying same symptoms. Doesn't make sense here. 12V adapter may be culprit. Or depending on the car he drives, a vehicle electrical fault.

Only way to troubleshoot these issues is a long, arduous, process of elimination. Same thing I'm doing with my A139 right now, too.

If i were in your shoes I'd do:

1. Try a replacement 12 V adapter as this is a common denominator between all your cars.
2. Try hardwiring camera to fuse box or power bank as this should offer a more reliable power source.

If #1 and #2 fail, then the camera itself might be at fault.

Last edited:
Plugs coming loose in the socket are not unknown, these do seem to have some very loose tolerances.
Some have wrapped a bit of electrical tape around the plug to seat it better.

I would also try another power source if possible, you can also run the camera in just 1 channel mode if your #2 power source are not that strong.

Back