New Viofo A139 !

Win8.1 will not delete that folder. SD formatter leaves it there after formatting.

Phil

Can't you insert it in the PC and right-click > format?

I've tried Windows formatting, SD formatter, and my go-to MiniAide card formatter. All these get the same results with this card, and the card is good and well tested. I've also tried a 64GB card set to FAT 32 and also exFAT as well. This card has updated the FW in this cam before, as well as in several other cams in the past.

Therefore I think it's safe to say that this isn't a problem with the card or with the cam reading the card.

So what next?

Phil

I presume you have used the app to format the card as well?

Only other thing I can think of is connecting the cam to the PC and using drag and drop/delete etc in the folders whilst it's connected?

Yes, I always do an in-cam format before recording, but in this case that leaves the DCIM file on the card so I do that only after trying to load the firmware. It's not the card or it's formatting, I have tried multiple methods which have always worked before wit this ald all other cards. Still no luck.

The cam works perfectly, no problems or errors of any kind. This is with the 32GB card, a 64GB card, and the 128GB card I normally use with it. I've used the proper HWK, the supplied cigarette lighter PS, and a 2A wall-powered phone charger, all with no problems. So we can rule out power issues too.

I unzipped the bootloader file with "7zip" before sending it to the card which I think is necessary- is that the proper way to do this? I think it is how I've done a few other bootloader installs before with other cams but I can'r remember much of them since it's been years ago.

So everything seems right and nothing broken, yet it still shows the same old FW on the app- that's why it's baffling me o_O

Phil

And how does the registrar conduct - without a card, is there video on the AV output from the registrar to the TV?
Yes, I can see the video through the app without a card. There does not seem to be any fault in the cam or current FW. Very strange.

Phil

Yes, I can see the video through the app without a card.
This is good, 139 is normal !!
Through Disk Management, find your cutter and delete TOM, then create a simple volume, but in F32, fill in the firmware there and everything will be OK.
Just do not pull out the card, but through the Eject menu !!

But my Windows 8.1 will not delete the system information folder from the card. I hate this OS but it is all I have available to me. I have still not heard from Viofo, I sent a PM and am hoping he will have an answer that works. This is one of the strangest things I've ever encountered with any dashcam.

And many thinks to those helping me here- you are great to have as dashcam friends (y)

Phil

Win8.1 will not delete that folder. SD formatter leaves it there after formatting.

Phil

When you use SD Formatter, are you using the quick format or full overwrite option? There should not be any folders on the card after formatting

I've done it both ways, quick and full overwrite. Not sure the results so I'll do full again.

Phil

So everything seems right and nothing broken, yet it still shows the same old FW on the app- that's why it's baffling me o_O
Are we sure that the FW version number you are looking at is wrong?
Maybe you are looking at the app version?
Maybe Viofo didn't update the firmware version when they created the new firmware?
Maybe you are expecting the wrong number?

There is probably a simple explanation somewhere! But maybe not where you expect it to be...

Everyone else is seeing 1113, but mine still has 1028. That's with both the file link Viofio sent me as well as what appears to be the same link another tester shared, and his went to 1113 while mine won't for some strange reason. AFAIK all our cams are from the same batch, and my FW did update for the first GPS bug fix FW but it didn't need a bootloader for that.

And fresh from a full overwrite with sdformatter the system information folder is still there and still cannot be deleted or cut by W8.1 :( Even my instantly-bricking JooVuu FW update actually did something where this is doing nothing, and that's what makes it all so frustrating.

Phil

Everyone else is seeing 1113, but mine still has 1028. That's with both the file link Viofio sent me as well as what appears to be the same link another tester shared, and his went to 1113 while mine won't for some strange reason. AFAIK all our cams are from the same batch, and my FW did update for the first GPS bug fix FW but it didn't need a bootloader for that.

And fresh from a full overwrite with sdformatter the system information folder is still there and still cannot be deleted or cut by W8.1 :( Even my instantly-bricking JooVuu FW update actually did something where this is doing nothing, and that's what makes it all so frustrating.

Phil
Would it be worth someone sending you the actual file if possible? Seems to be 29Mb so not sure the best way.

Would it be worth someone sending you the actual file if possible? Seems to be 29Mb so not sure the best way.
Unzipped I'm getting something like that size for the bootloader so I'm thinking it's OK. The FW is small enough as a .bin in it's native format. I can DL from whatever file-sharing sites that will support the size if Firefox can handle them.

Still willing to try any sensible approaches :) I'm just out of ideas :( Gotta be something simple but what?

Phil

Gotta be something simple but what?
Change the card, it doesn't matter what is on the card - if 139 is working properly, the first thing the will ask is to format it.
Take the small size, I crawl at home for firmware "4GB x 4" and everything is ok !!
And I have ~10 cards from 16 - 64 GB, for half a year everything is in the trash bin !!

This card loaded FW onto this cam 10 days ago and hasn't been used since then, it passes all tests 100%, it has loaded FW onto other cams with no problems long before now. Nothing wrong with this card and 32GB is the smallest cards I have. I've tried both of my 32GB cards. I have also tried a 64GB card set to fat32- I have loaded FW that way in the past and it too does nothing different here. These are all Samsung EVO Select- good cards, not junk- and 32GB should be OK for loading FW, this card size has always worked for me loading FW in many different cams and it has done it with this cam too.

So why isn't it working now? That is the tough question.

Phil

- Try a 2GB card
- Check the MD5 of the downloaded file

Is the bootloader really only 32KB?

Yes, I always do an in-cam format before recording, but in this case that leaves the DCIM file on the card

Phil
it doesn't leave the folder behind, the camera recreates the file after you have formatted the card, the system volume information file is a hidden windows system file, you can see it as you have view hidden system files turned on in windows, it's not related to your problem, as long as the correct file is in the root directory the firmware will load, if the lights are flickering away on the camera when you load it then it's likely it is loading the firmware but it's the same version that you already have on the camera if it's not showing a different version number, try loading one of the earlier versions instead and then check the version number

Back