New Wifi Enabled Lukas LK-7950 WD

Calgary Dash Camera - Robert

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Lukasdirect.com Street Guardian BulletHD Calgarydashcam.com

Attached is also some sample footage from the New Wifi Enabled Lukas LK-7950 WD dash camera.

More information to follow.

Last edited:
Looks like another case of rip off Britain Here this system is £329 Thats $660CDN same with the Blackvue DR650. I dont care how good it is I will wait until I visit canada in June.

Attached is also some sample footage from the New Wifi Enabled Lukas LK-7950 WD dash camera.

More information to follow.

I like Lukas idea of slide-in / out which I have been practising a lot in my DIY projects.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like another case of rip off Britain Here this system is £329 Thats $660CDN same with the Blackvue DR650. I dont care how good it is I will wait until I visit canada in June.

Local EU ( UK ) retailers higher price is justified by many factors:

- VAT / Import Duty amy be higher than in other countries
- quick delivery ( next day or max 2 days )
- local after-sales service
- and most important: 2 Years Warranty !
No time waste in case you are in trouble with dashcam, no need sending abroad, paying huge Express Courier shipping, wait 2 month when it arrives back from warranty repair etc.

Of course if we would know that nothing gonna happen to product, no warranty issues etc., then it is worth buying oversea, but you never know. But still, 2y local warranty is better than 1y oversea warranty ;)

But still, 2y local warranty is better than 1y oversea warranty ;)

a lot of people seem to have trouble with overseas warranty, seems to become a hassle once any ability to make a claim through the payment processor ends for some unknown reason

In my experience warranty is hard to claim on any electronics item that is a DIY instal into a car, motorhome, or any vehicle. In UK rarely worth the paper its written on. The old joke used to be "what you switched it on". VAT maybe an issue 20%, duty is irrelevant and I would rather support the UK economy but over a 50% price hike is a rip off. It devalues the product in the customers eyes. I spent over 50 years as an electronics, telecomms and computer peripherals engineer. The markup by UK distributors held back the growth of a lot of technology before the internet forced realistic prices into the UK. Sole distribution rights effectively stifle competition and allow a cartel. You will never convince me that a system that costs under £200 in Canada is worth £329 here.

That price difference wouldn't surprise me at all given the difference in duties and taxes between the two countries, UK is expensive to do business

Looks like good quality and feature set, but the size of the front camera is a deal-breaker. 11cmx10cm screams "break into my car and steal the camera".

LK-7950 Wi-Fi Duo Launch Special.
$388.00 CAD
With every order recive a 37MM CPL filter, a cigarette lighter adapter, and a Lukas SD card reader. A $60 Bundle for free!

Last edited:
i do love lukas feature sets and reliability (to me). I'm not in love with the image quality, though. Calgary, can you please upload some raw videos if you have the chance?

Hi
This latest Lukas Duo looks great but the front camera is still too big to be called discreet. I am lucky in that I will be touring Vancouver and the Rockies in June so will be able to buy and test a unit while I am there. Niko makes a good argument for local purchase in UK but at over twice the price I will wait, unless of course he can come up with realistic prices. $388CDN is £201 without the launch offers here it is £329, sorry but thats a rip off.

looking good - once we add on VAT and import duty are we not getting close to the 660 CDN amount? Would be good to get some sort of estimate up front for total cost!

edit: just done cal based on CDN$ and it comes to just under 600. Price in GBP is priced to look attractive to anyone looking to import by the looks of things....ie so close as to make it look a bit silly to import on a off one basis.

I like the product but price isn't competitive in the UK - and it looks like we're not even getting the freebies on offer despite paying way more!

Last edited:
I've just had a look at the firmware - looks like these are based around the Texas Instruments TMS320DM8148 ARM Cortex A8 processors -

http://www.ti.com/product/tms320dm8148

The TI processors are popular in some of the higher end Korean dash cameras.

I've got one of these making it's way to me now so I'm looking forwards to checking it out for functionality etc and I'll report back as soon as it arrives and I've started testing it :)

I've got one of these making it's way to me now so I'm looking forwards to checking it out for functionality etc and I'll report back as soon as it arrives and I've started testing it :)

It'd be interesting to compare against let's say Panorama x2 that are similar in specs or against other high end series.
I can't find what kind of chip and sensor it uses and how that compares to Novatek, Ambarella, Sony etc...

The Panorama X2 is the CSR Coach 12p and Sony IMX322 in both cameras whereas the Lukas LK7950 is the TI TMS320DM8148 and Sony IMX322 in both cameras.

I'll have them hooked up side by side ;)

The Panorama X2 is the CSR Coach 12p and Sony IMX322 in both cameras whereas the Lukas LK7950 is the TI TMS320DM8148 and Sony IMX322 in both cameras.

I'll have them hooked up side by side ;)

You will beat me on this. That's the advantage of being closer to the manufacturer. :D
Too bad that I can compare the Lukas only with Novatek and Ambarella based cameras but it should be fun against the mini 0806 and G90 7S (my favorite so far).

Looks like it's made to compete against the Panorama x2?
It looks similar, accepts full size card and dual cam but has more features like wifi.

You'll get the biggest advantage from the parking modes - night time video should be superior on the Lukas too mate, mine is still in Korea so it will take it's time to arrive!

Did you get the OBD option?

Back