New XenForo Forum Software, Growing Pains, (Good/Bad feedback)

Agree having avatars makes it easier to follow conversations, will get around to doing one soon as well

DashCamMan: Thank you for detailed explanation.
Of course its going to take some time to get used to new layout, but new look is nice, I like it.

Can "preview message" can be also added as it was before ?

Can you find a way that allows people to post youtube videos with the ?t=16s (so it jumps to a specific time)

Here's the feed back I saw that brought it to my attention.
http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/index.php?threads/powerucc-panorama2.1208/page-11#post-26313
"BTW: This is what i call pitch black: (THIS F****ING NEW BOARD! it consequently rematches to "youtube" and kills the time index. i can't link to video positions... go to 8m39s yourself!)"

Last edited by a moderator:
completely understand the need for advertising on the site, is it possible to look at where the ads are placed though, notice they are ending up in the middle of posts which besides being distracting it's easy to actually miss some or all of a post as a result, not suggesting to do away with the ads but if they could live in their own space, between posts, at the header etc would be far nicer than in the middle of someone's post

Some updates:

1) Avatars: Checked to see if there was a way to randomly assign avatars but that does not appear to be available. One option is to put up an avatar gallery that a new user can select from. Still thinking about this.
2) Moving the name above the avatar: This can be done but requires changing some code. Risk is updates may break this feature. I am holding off on making this change as well.
3) Ad placement: I have adjusted the ad placement to be below the first post rather than within the post. Also, registered users should not be seeing any ads, only guests (hopefully!)
4) Youtube time linking does not appear to be possible due to the way the board extracts the youtube id from a URL posted. The best solution is to click on the "Code button" and insert the Youtube URL in that. Another option is to use the plain tags....
[PLAIN]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9S1U0ECn4mY#t=8m39s[/PLAIN].
This will result in the following:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9S1U0ECn4mY#t=8m39s
Not embedded or perfect but it could be a reasonable trade-off

All the feedback is much appreciated!!! Thanks

not sure if it's what you mean but when viewing new posts click the time below the posters name rather than their name to go to the last post

This or if you are more "Top Level" (like viewing just the Dash Cam Discussion section) and click the thread title next to latest it will take you to the latest post of the latest bumped thread.

not sure if it's what you mean but when viewing new posts click the time below the posters name rather than their name to go to the last post

Thanks jokiin, that's the type of link - shortcut that I was looking for.
In most other forums there is notepad icon or similar that you click on and that is what i was looking for in here, hence the question.

P.S. Did you have Opticoat on your XT Forester because it sure looked good mate, I could have run up a few k's for you to keep it well oiled and free. ;) ;)

P.S. Did you have Opticoat on your XT Forester because it sure looked good mate, I could have run up a few k's for you to keep it well oiled and free. ;) ;)

When I sold my black Forester (I've owned 2 of them) it looked immaculate, the guy that bought it was nervous because it was too clean and he was worried about marking it, I'd never done any paint treatment or anything, the only thing I ever did do because it was black was use a new sponge anytime I washed it, I didn't even wash it that often to be honest but I did look after it, still miss that car, I've had 2 WRX's and 2 XT Forester's all from new but the last one was my favorite, such good cars

The time button to jump to the last post was previously only enabled for signed in members. It is now enabled for guests as well. Also I added the recent posts button for members which used to be only available for guests.

thanks, useful to have, the site is humming along nicely on this new platform, quite like it now that I've gotten used to it

The colour scheme is horrendous.

It is the default colour scheme...Haven't gotten around to updating it yet.

It is the default colour scheme...Haven't gotten around to updating it yet.
Other then that everything has been ok. I'd like to put my vote in for something a little darker. The old color selection was nice. Does not have to be completely back, it's not that the default color is horrible it is just to bright.

not sure if it's a site problem or a tapatalk one but notifications seem to be all over the place today, anyone else having issues?

Looks like the top of the page bar is a darker color. Looks a bit better then what i think used to be yellow. Would love to see the whole page background that darker grey and maybe the text the color that the Home Forum Members is in on that bar.

you can change it in your preferences but while some of the other colours look nicer they also alter the layout which some may not like

Back