New xiaoimi yi camera on the horizon

Well i am just about as hiped over the 4k+ as i am about the AMD ryzen CPUs, fill me with i wish this, and i wish that, and thats about it.
So i will just have to sit on the sideline and watch what happen.

Yeah. Only benchmarks seem to be AMD's atm and even if they are faster than Intels, I'd be very surprised if Intel don't have a next gen processor to simply drop onto the market at a similar price.

As for Yi4K+, I've more or less discounted buying this now. I'm not buying at that price and especially with the lack of local backup support who can turn around a new camera to me within a couple of days if mine develops a fault. £300 is a lot of money to gamble on something that has to be sent back to China at your cost, possibly to never be seen again, or even if it is, possibly to return unfixed after huge postal costs. Simply not worth the risk vs any possible gain in quality over locally available car cams / action cams.

Indeed.

Not just yi, but i hope all Chinese get out of China so to say, so i can go to a local store and get local warranty and service.
For anything else expensive and out if Chine, you would want it to be a product you can open up and repair yourself, and that rule out a lot of stuff, even little consumer grade things like a camera or a phone.

That $300 dollars buys more camera than Gopro, and, I think less trouble-plagued than Hero!
According to their site: mic. in, voice control, and video streaming at 40 Mbps (twice Gopro's)!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah there's no doubting the specifications. The issue is whether or not you want to gamble $ / £ / E 300 on something that you have to return to China at great expense if it goes wrong with no guarantee it might not get lost or get fixed totally. If only Yi could get a distributor in each country who could handle warranty claims with a straight exchange or repair in the local environment.

Nothing Ventured ... Nothing Gained! The Mi corporation seems to be world class! My original and international Xiaomi cams are giving expected performance! I 'll try the new one if they can get on market before the Sj7 is perfected-there have been sooo many delays.

Nothing Ventured ... Nothing Gained! The Mi corporation seems to be world class! My original and international Xiaomi cams are giving expected performance! I 'll try the new one if they can get on market before the Sj7 is perfected-there have been sooo many delays.

I'm not sure I'd buy from their first release as they tend to put them out there with problems and work it out later, the new model though I'd fully expect to be a much better camera than the SJCAM, I'd just hold off buying it until at least the second production

I'm not sure I'd buy from their first release as they tend to put them out there with problems and work it out later, the new model though I'd fully expect to be a much better camera than the SJCAM, I'd just hold off buying it until at least the second production
Hey, letting the buyers discover the bugs sounds like early Chrysler cars, or perhaps, today's Takata air bags-the dems here want to extradite and prosecute the CEO!
But, back to here and now, gearbest has stopped offering presale of the the Yi 4k + at $299.00. Typing the cam name showed no response. Previously you could find them offering "advice" at a price of $564 and change. Maybe I'll buy the Star afterall!
My dad, rest his soul, hammered the point home," never buy the first ones off the assy. line"!

Hey, letting the buyers discover the bugs sounds like early Chrysler cars, or perhaps, today's Takata air bags-the dems here want to extradite and prosecute the CEO!
But, back to here and now, gearbest has stopped offering presale of the the Yi 4k + at $299.00. Typing the cam name showed no response. Previously you could find them offering "advice" at a price of $564 and change. Maybe I'll buy the Star afterall!
My dad, rest his soul, hammered the point home," never buy the first ones off the assy. line"!

Yes...Gearbest removed the pre-sale....but I read that move as if the official sale were to be delayed....looks to me I will still relay on my "normal" Yi 4K this summer, and buy the Yi 4k+ later this fall.....

But, back to here and now, gearbest has stopped offering presale of the the Yi 4k + at $299.00. Typing the cam name showed no response. Previously you could find them offering "advice" at a price of $564 and change. Maybe I'll buy the Star afterall!...!

but you can still find if you click on the link I previously posted (but now says "out of stock")

Those guys have a pretty casual approach to the english language :D

Someone mentioned on elProducente.com that power usage in the h.265 codec in 4k/ 60fps would be higher!

...it might be that encoding in h265/HEVC requires more power....however both Yi 4k and 4k+ encode in h264...

not much new info here, a peek at 4+ with new GIMBAL (at 2: 30 about new lens)

The gimbal looks beefy, but thats alright by me and my big hands.
And you will be able to broadcast via your phone a 1080p signal

You can already broadcast at 1080p with the YI4K via youtube, facebook or custom rtmp url

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B YI 4K+ Action Camera 0
Matt_V939 YI 4K+ Action Camera 26
Back