New Xiaomi Yi poor video quality ?

AlexisPolak

Reaction score
Country
Argentina
Hi there guys! I'm Alexis and i'm new here! I recieved the Yi two days ago and i was trying all the accessories and that stuff. I think my camera is having a few differt troubles. The model is: YDXJ_v23L and i got the last firmware by the app (i think is 1.2.5 or someting like that).

1) The video quality and photo quality is really really bad. I only coud try it inside my house with not the best ilumination, but i thought the image would be better. Here are some videos, in both i can see some kind of film grain and its REALLY noticeable in photos. The firstone is without the waterproof case, and the second is with the waterproof case. Both are filmed in 1080p 60fps Quality: High without lens rectification and exoported to the PC via microSD. I also have the "Auto Low Light" ON (by default) and i don't know why, but i uplead a 1080p video and i can only see it in 720p in youtube.

They are in 12MP 16:9.
This are new photos at work. I think that at home i have a light problem, beacuse here the photos are ok.
a) With waterproof case and Auto Low Light On
bD3yudu.jpg

b) With waterproof case and Auto Low Light Off
Lcd2ZHG.jpg

c) Without waterproof case and Auto Low Light On
S0rhUp8.jpg

d) Without waterproof case and Auto Low Light Off
FFiMgoD.jpg

2) The second problem that i have is with the battery. I read that there is a common problem with it, but i don't know if is this one. I filmed in 1080p 60fps for 10 minutes with Preview On, and the battery goes from 83% to 32% and i think that is A LOT.

3)The third problem is with the waterproof case. I bought a EACHSHOT waterproof case, but it's seems to be always dirty in the lens. Anyone have experience with this brand ?

Well, thanks a lot.

Last edited:
1. Please understand xiaomi yi is not build for night shoots so don't use this as night camera it will turn you down and disappointed. Even Gopro is not good at dark (gopro 3rd gen). Try to use different meter mode see if get better. Your youtube issue because it need time to process from youtube as now I reading this post I see 1080p 60fps option on your video.

2. Battery drain is one common issue xiaomiyi user face. read the other posts it can be fix very easy.

3. EACHSHOT is not great brand it is cheap cheap copy cat brand from china try to get the genuis xiaomi one if you really need to shoot underwater.

1. Please understand xiaomi yi is not build for night shoots so don't use this as night camera it will turn you down and disappointed. Even Gopro is not good at dark (gopro 3rd gen). Try to use different meter mode see if get better. Your youtube issue because it need time to process from youtube as now I reading this post I see 1080p 60fps option on your video.

2. Battery drain is one common issue xiaomiyi user face. read the other posts it can be fix very easy.

3. EACHSHOT is not great brand it is cheap cheap copy cat brand from china try to get the genuis xiaomi one if you really need to shoot underwater.

Thanks a lot Johnsony ! I'm not goint to be shooting on night, but just last night i tryied it. So at low light and night shoot i have to spect those quality videos ? Is there any chance to improve it ?

I don't really know if i'm suffering a battery drain. I will test it a little more before open it.

Where i live is REALLY difficult to buy things from aboard. Do you know any NYC store where i could buy xiaomi accessories ? i'll be there a few days in december, but where i will be staying can't recieve packages.

Thanks Again!

try making video outside with 2304x1296 30fps you will see it shows much better. You can also use firmware expanded to 35 mbps, can find here in forum to improve your video. Also you can sharpen videos and fotos with scripts. 60fps slow down the sharpness a little bit, you need 60fps only for quick movements.
Switch auto low light only you need it, otherwise it slow down the quality. An Accu needs its time to have the full capacity. 60minutes in 1080p 60fps will be a good value for the accu. The fotos in newer pictures are very good also the focus of cam. Youtube also reduce the quality of videos by decreasing resolution and bitrate.
For that price the best actioncam on market, xiaomi yi is comparable with gopro hero3+ silver.

MFG
gente

Thanks a lot Johnsony ! I'm not goint to be shooting on night, but just last night i tryied it. So at low light and night shoot i have to spect those quality videos ? Is there any chance to improve it ?

I don't really know if i'm suffering a battery drain. I will test it a little more before open it.

Where i live is REALLY difficult to buy things from aboard. Do you know any NYC store where i could buy xiaomi accessories ? i'll be there a few days in december, but where i will be staying can't recieve packages.

Thanks Again!
For low light if you want to shoot with xiaomi yi you can buy a Video LED light to bright up the area to get better quality(cheap way to do it turn on your smartphone flash light to bright up the object) or shoot with photo mode with higher iso long exposure script for night landscape and timelapse photo. I think what you mention it is battery drain, usually xiaomi yi can take video with 1080P 60fps for about 1% per 45sec so it should be give you aleast 50min before run out battery.

I bought my xiaomiyi on aliexpress and some accessories from Amazon. You may look for this two sites see if they can send to your place.

try making video outside with 2304x1296 30fps you will see it shows much better. You can also use firmware expanded to 35 mbps, can find here in forum to improve your video. Also you can sharpen videos and fotos with scripts. 60fps slow down the sharpness a little bit, you need 60fps only for quick movements.
Switch auto low light only you need it, otherwise it slow down the quality. An Accu needs its time to have the full capacity. 60minutes in 1080p 60fps will be a good value for the accu. The fotos in newer pictures are very good also the focus of cam. Youtube also reduce the quality of videos by decreasing resolution and bitrate.
For that price the best actioncam on market, xiaomi yi is comparable with gopro hero3+ silver.

MFG
gente

Thanks a lot gente ! I will shoot a video walking home in 2304x1296 30fps so i can see how it looks. Where i can find sripts to ONLY reduce noise ? I turn off Auto Low Light.
Don't know what Accu is.
I'm really happy that i don't have to do the focus mod.

For low light if you want to shoot with xiaomi yi you can buy a Video LED light to bright up the area to get better quality(cheap way to do it turn on your smartphone flash light to bright up the object) or shoot with photo mode with higher iso long exposure script for night landscape and timelapse photo. I think what you mention it is battery drain, usually xiaomi yi can take video with 1080P 60fps for about 1% per 45sec so it should be give you aleast 50min before run out battery.

I bought my xiaomiyi on aliexpress and some accessories from Amazon. You may look for this two sites see if they can send to your place.
i can't buy in amazon or aliexpress because in my country doesn't arrive the products. The only way that i have is if i travel to us and bring the things to me. The problem is that i'll be staying in an appartmnet without reception.

Thanks a lot gente ! I will shoot a video walking home in 2304x1296 30fps so i can see how it looks. Where i can find sripts to ONLY reduce noise ? I turn off Auto Low Light.
Don't know what Accu is.
I'm really happy that i don't have to do the focus mod.
test that one:

Attachments

• noise.zip
    217 bytes · Views: 89
Hello,
I don't want to open new thread with quality issue. I have a new YI 22L and I am not happy with photo quality. Can you please comment image quality of this picture? I see low detail in trees and a lot of noise in pavement. I refocused lens but it did not help.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/s5ado74y2th5ojy/YDXJ0215.jpg?dl=0

Thank you

for xiaomi yi actioncamera i think the panorama picture is good and ok. My footages with 23L and lens fix are the same behaviour than yours. The colours are very natural, the sharpness is normal for an action cam and panorama foto, not better with gopro 3+. It become sharper you record a picture from objects closer to lens. The videos my opinion are better with more sharpness and less noise in records. It is and remains a video cam with the option to take fotos. Why the videos are better as picture quality i don't know. Perhaps another user can explain that.
You can improve a little bit with scripts and custom firmwares.
MFG
gente

Back