Newb: A118C. Won't record long. What am I doing wrong?

The1930sRust

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello. First post. Searched, but didn't see my issue.

Recently bought and installed an "A118C Dash Camera" from Amazon. Hot wired, so it runs 24-7. 32GB card. Set to Loop Record OFF. Motion OFF. Red REC light blinks all the time.

My issue is it only seems for record to about 20 minutes, then quits. Today, it did about 35 minutes, then failed to record after this even though the REC LED was blinking the whole day. Started the vehicle and it did fine for 35 minutes. About a 4GB file. It definitely stopped recording while there was power to the unit and we were in motion. It did not record for about four hours during my trip, but then suddenly captured 15 seconds as I was pulling into the driveway.

I guess I thought this unit would record till the card was full, then start recording over. But this is not the case. I only got the first twenty or so minutes of a five hour drive today, plus the last 15 seconds.

Can someone guide me to the proper setting? Camera is great, and when it does record the quality is spot on. I am sure a setting is amiss, but I don't know how to set it to record constantly till it runs out of space, then get it to override.

Any help is very much appreciated!

Thanks,

Chris

OK. I see Loop recording 1, 3, 5 minutes, and off. I currently have it set to off. I thought OFF would make it record continuously? If I set it to, say, 5 min, won't I get a ton of five minute clips? Again, I'm only getting a 20 minute 4GB file then nothing for hours, even though the REC L:ED is blinking, indicating REC is active. The printed instructions are kind of vague here.... Chris

if you turn it off it will make a 4gb file (file size limitation) then stop, if you have it set to loop it will record continuously and when the card fills up it will overwrite the oldest file segment

Think I'm catching on. There does not seem to be an ON setting. Just 1, 3, 5 min, and off. So, what, 5 min? How does setting it to, say, five minutes get me a continuous run? Thanks! CG

1, 3 or 5 are all on, whichever you want is fine, think of it like a DVD, you have one movie but it's broken into chapters, if you view your files with something like Registrator Viewer it will put it all into continuous files for easy viewing

The video segments overlap a bit. I forget how much on an A118? a second or less? You'll have continuous video in individual segments, of almost 4 hours with a 32gb card. You won't miss anything, there just some minor duplication as the camera 'loops'. Some of the older cameras you'd miss a second or two as the camera saved one segment, and started the next one.

The video segments overlap a bit. I forget how much on an A118? a second or less? You'll have continuous video in individual segments, of almost 4 hours with a 32gb card. You won't miss anything, there just some minor duplication as the camera 'loops'. Some of the older cameras you'd miss a second or two as the camera saved one segment, and started the next one.

that overlap can be trimmed also http://www.mediafire.com/view/4nsvpj9on2y426c/Configure-Registrator-Viewer-for-SG9665XX-series.pdf

Internet be praised! Dashcamtalk be praised! Thank you all so much. I am truly thankful. CG

I turned off loop recording to record a road trip on a 64gb card. With it off, it will record 4gb files till the card is full and THEN it stops recording. So each night I would dump the SD card to an external hard drive so it would be blank each morning.

I turned off loop recording to record a road trip on a 64gb card. With it off, it will record 4gb files till the card is full and THEN it stops recording. So each night I would dump the SD card to an external hard drive so it would be blank each morning.

depends on firmware version, some will start a new file, some won't, personally I don't recommend using them without loop set

Back