Newbe to dash cams

Betty

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Live in Europe.

Some 'start up' questions:

Do all dashcams have do be wired up? If so, our car a Mazda CX5 does not have a cigarette lighter point! Does have USB connection.
Are there whereless dashcams? Have Bluetooth in our car.

That's all for now! No doubt more questions will follow!
Thanks

Have you checked in your car manual to find out where the lighter socket is? Maybe hidden somewhere, like under the armrest...

Unfortunately Bluetooth doesn't supply power, and dashcams do need power from somewhere. A lot of people take it from the fusebox via a fuse tap, normally easy to install, but I don't know anything about your type of car.

Thanks Nigel, I'll have a look, but 99% sure the is no lighter socked!

Thanks Nigel, I'll have a look, but 99% sure the is no lighter socked!
They do like to hide them these days, under the arm rest, by the passenger's feet, inside the glove box... everywhere you wouldn't put a cigar lighter!
But they are accessory sockets, not lighter sockets ;)

They do like to hide them these days, under the arm rest, by the passenger's feet, inside the glove box... everywhere you wouldn't put a cigar lighter!
But they are accessory sockets, not lighter sockets ;)
Ah, ok! I do know where the usb connection etc is located! Is that what you mean by accessory sockets Nigel?

Ah, ok! I do know where the usb connection etc is located! Is that what you mean by accessory sockets Nigel?
No, car USB sockets don't always provide enough power for a dashcam, or need special charging only cables, better to find the lighter socket or use a fuse tap in the fuse panel...

Yes all dashcams have to be wired up, some do have batteries but its micro ones meant for shutting gown the camera in the event of a accident and not lenghty recording, and beside battery cameras are no good not least in a hot place like where you live.

Googling mazda cx 5 accessory socket and looking at pictures it seem like some have it others dont, a bit confusing, but if your car actually dont have one then you can always piggy back of one of the fuses in the fuse box and get power that way, either to install a actual 12 V accessory socket some where, or install a 12 V to USB outlet that can power a dashcam or several ( i personally have a 4 port and a 6 port USB charger in my car glove box )

There are wireless dashcams but really just for setting up the camera the first time, for smart features or moving recordings off the camera its not really worth it at the moment.
you cant get a 2 channel dashcam and have the rear camera send footage to the front one using wifi, but rear camera are just 1 wire.

On youtube you can find a lot of how to install a dashcam in a car, both using the provided PSU and the accessory socket, or hard wire by piggy backing of a fuse in the fuse box, its not really something that demand a large degree of electronics or tinkering skills.
You can always pay a shop to do it for you if you dont dare to do it yourself.

If your drives are short, an action cam might suffice as they are meant to run on their internal battery though most can take outside power too. They tend to overheat more easily than a true dashcams and of course will need recharging constantly. Most have a large "steal me" appearance so would not be something to leave mounted when you're away from your car.

Most dashcams install easily for anyone with a modicum of handiness in them. The biggest issue will probably be running the wiring without interfering with a side pillar or roof mounted airbag. There is usually a clear and easy path though.

The toughest part will probably be deciding which cam to get but the good folks here will help you avoid the junk which proliferates in the market and help you get one with the features you want.

And welcome to DCT!

Phil

As a last resort, a powerbank may be an option

Or use the car's OBD socket for power, which by law has to be fitted and in a convenient place, needs an OBD dashcam hardwire kit.

O and i totally forgot :rolleyes: Bienvenidos Betty.

Back