Newbie - Dashcam Recommendations?

Dannny

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, as above I am new here and looking for a Dashcam for my car.

I am from the UK, looking for a Dashcam for around £100-£150.

I am currently looking at DDpai M6 Plus.

Anyone have this Dashcam?

Any help would be great!

Thanks.

Welcome to DCT!

What are your requirements from dashcam?

... looking for a Dashcam for around £100-£150.
Welcome to DCT. I wouldn't buy the M6+ (don't care how much Techmoan likes it), as it contains a battery, which is practically guaranteed to fail within the first 18 months or so. Dashcams that contain capacitors are a preferable long-term ownership prospect.

Dashcams within your budget worthy of consideration include A119, DDPai Mini 2, JooVuu X, MG600 & Thinkware F50. The SGZC12RC & SG9665GC are excellent, but over your budget.

Last edited:
Welcome to DCT. I wouldn't buy the M6+ (don't care how much Techmoan likes it), as it contains a battery, which is practically guaranteed to fail within the first 18 months or so. Dashcams that contain capacitors are a preferable long-term ownership prospect.

Dashcams within your budget worthy of consideration include A119, DDPai Mini 2, JooVuu X, MG600 & Thinkware F50. The SGZC12RC & SG9665GC are excellent, but over your budget.
Hi there, thanks for the reply.

Is there no way to change the battery? I am wanting to know the more long term problems like you've suggested.

Why is it that the battery fails?

Welcome to DCT!

What are your requirements from dashcam?
Stealthy
Possibly able to connect to phone via app
Parking mode
Good quality video day and night (obviously)
Want to easily send the dashcam back if any fault occurs

Stealthy
Possibly able to connect to phone via app
Parking mode
Good quality video day and night (obviously)
Want to easily send the dashcam back if any fault occurs

Have you looked at Thinkware F50 ?

Is there no way to change the battery? I am wanting to know the more long term problems like you've suggested. Why is it that the battery fails?
I don't know the specifics of M6+ battery replacement, however, the typical battery-reliant dashcam has to be prised-open, old battery cut out, & replacement battery (assuming you can find one of the correct specification) soldered-in. A job for the DIY enthusiast, most people are better-off with a capacitor-based cam for hassle-free ownership.

The car is a hostile operating environment for a dashcam, & LiPo batteries cannot hack it long-term. They often start to fail over a period of some weeks, during which the cam may exhibit flaky behaviour, e.g. missing or corrupt video clips, which may be incorrectly attributed to the memory card.

I think the X350 looks good, although the main thing I like about the M6 Plus is the parking mode, where it puts it into a time lapse.

I don't know the specifics of M6+ battery replacement, however, the typical battery-reliant dashcam has to be prised-open, old battery cut out, & replacement battery (assuming you can find one of the correct specification) soldered-in. A job for the DIY enthusiast, most people are better-off with a capacitor-based cam for hassle-free ownership.

The car is a hostile operating environment for a dashcam, & LiPo batteries cannot hack it long-term. They often start to fail over a period of some weeks, during which the cam may exhibit flaky behaviour, e.g. missing or corrupt video clips, which may be incorrectly attributed to the memory card.
I don't mind doing a little DIY at all, would you say that is the only thing that lets that dashcam down?

... the main thing I like about the M6 Plus is the parking mode, where it puts it into a time lapse.
For me the M6+ doesn't offer real parking mode, which at minimum should include pre-buffered motion sensing at 30fps. Time-lapse recordings don't have an audio track, which in the videos below are essential evidence ...

The MG600, SGZC12RC & Thinkware F50 have pre-buffered motion sensing at 30fps.

I don't mind doing a little DIY at all, would you say that is the only thing that lets that dashcam down?
I don't like it's form factor or battery, so I don't follow it's issues. I suggest that you browse the threads devoted to it.

For me the M6+ doesn't offer real parking mode, which at minimum should include pre-buffered motion sensing at 30fps. Time-lapse recordings don't have an audio track, which in the videos below are essential evidence ...

The MG600, SGZC12RC & Thinkware F50 have pre-buffered motion sensing at 30fps.
Thanks for the reply.

What is pre-buffered motion sensing?:/

Does that have to run off permanent live or does it have a battery pack?

I'm looking for something that will use a different battery other than the one used for the car.

Just looking at that one now looks good! Is there any on their product range that has parking mode?

Most Thinkware products have parking mode. Advantage on X350 is you can operate it even without Smartphone, Disadvantage is bigger footprint to outside.

Most Thinkware products have parking mode. Advantage on X350 is you can operate it even without Smartphone, Disadvantage is bigger footprint to outside.
I am really liking the X350, are you sure it has Parking mode? Doesn't mention it like the X550?

http://www.thinkware.com/Products/Dashcam/X350

Although it does say right at the bottom in Recording Modes!

Any other info regarding the X350??

Under Detailed Specs:

Recording Modes:

Continuous Recording, Incident Recording, Manual Recording, Audio Recording, Parking Surveillance Recording

Sent from my LG-H962 using Tapatalk

Under Detailed Specs:

Recording Modes:

Continuous Recording, Incident Recording, Manual Recording, Audio Recording, Parking Surveillance Recording

Sent from my LG-H962 using Tapatalk
Think the Time Lapse is what I'm after.

X550 is seeming rather good.

Back