Newbie - Hardwiring a new A119 into -14 Honda Odyssey Question

psychojet

Reaction score
Country
United States
OK, so got rear-ended this weekend and that made me decide to install a forward-facing dashcam plus another dashcam that I would attach to the roof of the cargo area (via velcro) pointing back. I would like to hardwire the forward facing dashcam but no need to do so for the rear one since there's a free cigarette outlet back there that is never in used.

Anyway, I got the following from Amazon thus far
1) SpyTec A119 1440p Car Dash Camera
2) Pico 0956PT 10 Amp ATM Mini Blade Fuse Add-A-Circuit Fuse Holder
3) Dash Camera Vehicle Hard Wire Kit - Mini USB

My complete noob questions are: 1) Did I get the correct wiring accessories? 2) Which fuse in the Driver Side Fuse Box in the -14 Odyssey is the most appropriate to piggy back on for the "Add-A-Circuit Fuse Holder?" I was thinking #19 - Driver's Side Power Window, but that's a 20A! Should I be using the #13 - Accessory 7.5A one instead?

Thanks!

Stay tuned, I think at least one regular member has an Odyssey. :)

OK, so got rear-ended this weekend and that made me decide to install a forward-facing dashcam plus another dashcam that I would attach to the roof of the cargo area (via velcro) pointing back. I would like to hardwire the forward facing dashcam but no need to do so for the rear one since there's a free cigarette outlet back there that is never in used.

Anyway, I got the following from Amazon thus far
1) SpyTec A119 1440p Car Dash Camera
2) Pico 0956PT 10 Amp ATM Mini Blade Fuse Add-A-Circuit Fuse Holder
3) Dash Camera Vehicle Hard Wire Kit - Mini USB

My complete noob questions are: 1) Did I get the correct wiring accessories? 2) Which fuse in the Driver Side Fuse Box in the -14 Odyssey is the most appropriate to piggy back on for the "Add-A-Circuit Fuse Holder?" I was thinking #19 - Driver's Side Power Window, but that's a 20A! Should I be using the #13 - Accessory 7.5A one instead?

Thanks!

You have the right kit as long as your fuse box uses the mini blade fuses.

Best would be to piggy back off the fuse for the existing 12V cigarette lighter socket in the fuse box. Or you can piggy back off any non critical fuse like a rear wiper or heated/cooled seat fuse.

The original fuse rating doesn't matter much, what matters is the rating of the additional fuse you'll be adding into the fuse tap. Anything between a 2-5 amp fuse is good as the camera shouldn't draw more that an amp.

Do make sure that all connecting, crimping or soldering is done properly to avoid problems later.

Thanks, Harsh!

I believe the '14 Odyssey uses the low profile mini (APS), so from my quick google search, it's likely it should work (I hope).

I'm assuming the cigarette lighter is called "Accessory."

From the link you've posted, use the no. 14 or 15 in the passenger side fuse box, the 15 amp ones.

As a close to complete noob to dashcams I'm wondering if powering the A119 dashcam from a usb charging port would cause it to go into mass storage mode? I have bought a cheap $13.00 no-name dashcam recently from ebay and it will go to mass storage mode whenever I connect it to a usb charger outlet. I'm using a cigarette lighter usb charger like this one:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/121561709374

It actually depends on the cable. Whether the cable supports just charging or data transfer too depends on the number of wires and how they're connected to the USB and micro/mini USB ports inside. You could try changing the cable or just hard wire the dash cam.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 Eye using Tapatalk

Last edited:
It actually depends on the cable. Whether the cable supports just charging or data transfer too depends on the number of wires and how they're connected to the USB and micro/mini USB ports inside. You could try changing the cable or just hard wire the dash cam.

Thanks for the feedback. A cable such as the one in the following link should solve the problem then?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/291418558711

Yes. Just make sure it's a charging cable without data transfer capability.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 Eye using Tapatalk

Back