Newbie! Please help me Setup

bolo

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I'm about to receive my mini 0805!

I am a complete newbie to dashcams.

I have a few questions, after having read a number of threads here. If you guys can help that would be great.

1- Can it be hardwired to the car? I believe the answer is no, according to the seller, but maybe it's not right.
2- I know I need to buy a micro ds card. Which type should I get? I see on ebay there are different types (even though they're the same size).
3- I also read here that I need to format the card. How, why? Is that if the card is 32gb too?
4- How many hours of recording at highest resolution can I fit in 32 gb?
5- The seller says it only takes 32gb but other sites say 128. Can anyone explain?
6- Does the cam automatically record over the start when it's full?
7- Should I set the cam to make new clips every few minutes, or just let it go in one long clip?

I'm sure I will have more questions. Thanks for anyone who can help.

1. yes, but don't wire it to a permanent power source
2. buy a brand name card from a reputable seller, Apus or shoppingsquare (both the same seller) are a reliable supplier on ebay, don't buy Sandisk
3. can be formatted in camera, new cards are pre formatted anyway
4. around 4 hours
5. firmware dependant, 32gb is probably the most reliable size though
6. yes when configured correctly
7. it needs to be set to loop, if you do one long clip it will record in 4gb chunks until the card fills up then it will stop

X2 on jokiin

I hardwire mine by connecting an add-a-fuse with loose 12v socket to a fusebox socket energized with igniton and connecting the provided power cord. This powers and protects cam as intended by mfgr. wires easily hidden behind finishes. Easily reversible.

Consider location with respect to radio, antenna and other electronics including gps receiver. Test before closing up.

If gps, be patient with lock.

Micro sd greater than 32gb can be formatted fat32 with third party software. I use 64gb.

I like 5 minute files for sorting and searching. Only loose 5 minutes if file damaged/corrupted. Viewer and video software easily available to combine files.

Most cams can be configured to suit desires, but often instructions sketchy and trail & error. I suggest start with mfgr default and make one change at time and test between. This way you likely won't chase your tail to find an issue.

3M double sided adhesive tape holds all to windshield even frit area if surfaces wiped with cleaner.

Via search good info and solutions here.

TY throrope.

I have a 32gb card. 10 speed.

Should I format it?

Put it in the dashcam and format, start using! choose the settings that best suit you (daytime image and nighttime image)

OK, got my 118c for christmas and this menu system really sux. First, how do I get into the menu system. I was in it once, but now I cannot seem to get back in. I plug it in, it fires up, the screen intializes and I press the MENU button, but nothing happens. I cannot figure out how to format the SD card as well.
Help!!

OK, got my 118c for christmas and this menu system really sux. First, how do I get into the menu system. I was in it once, but now I cannot seem to get back in. I plug it in, it fires up, the screen intializes and I press the MENU button, but nothing happens. I cannot figure out how to format the SD card as well.
Help!!

FYI: You posted an a118c/b40 question in a mini 0805 thread
Try again here: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/forums/b40-a118.77/
You need to stop the recording in progress first, than menu responds.

I'm starting to set up.

I can't find any HDR setting which a few people have mentioned.

Also, I cant find where to set it to take 5 minute clips.

And finally (sorry to repeat), I have a 32gb card (10 class). Should I format it?

ETA: The firmware version I received it with is: 20150821. Is that ok, or should I get a newer one?

I'm starting to set up.
For HDR, set resolution as below...

image.jpg

Format card within camera.

I suggest you take a look at this video by @Mtz which is an excellent introduction to the 0805, & a good way to check you've not been sold an 0803 ...

I'm starting to set up.

I can't find any HDR setting which a few people have mentioned.

And finally (sorry to repeat), I have a 32gb card (10 class). Should I format it?

ETA: The firmware version I received it with is: 20150821. Is that ok, or should I get a newer one?

Go to resolution options 0805 have the following:

HDR 1920 1080 30 16:9
1920 1080 30 16:9
1920 1080 45 16:9
2304 1296 30 16:9
2560 1080 30 21:9
1280 720 30 16:9
1280 720 60 16:9

Thanks Russ and Frazzeled for answering re HDR. Will check my cam again soon.

Would love some hel;p re my other questions:

I noticed on the main page for the 0805, regarding firmare:

Firmware Update Instructions
  1. Format the MicroSD Card
  2. Copy the firmware file (.bin) onto the root of the MicroSD Card
  3. You may need to rename the firmware file to firmware bin
  4. The camera should prompt to update automatically (yes/no)
  5. After the firmware update is completed be sure to delete the files or you will be prompted to update again
Not too sure how to do 1 but I think the cam will show me.

No clue at all how to do step 2 and 3 and 5.

Anyone know?

Can't find any how-to vids on youtube for this.

Download the firmware to your home computer or laptop

2. Copy and paste the firmware.bin file to your micro sd card (put the card back into the camera)
3. It will probably already be named firmware.bin
5. Format the card

Same procedure for 0801, 0803, 0805

TY frazzeled.

I would still like to know, if possible, how to set length of clips. And how to ensure it loops.

The option for looping is set in Recycle
I have mine set at 5 min intervals

I noticed ... Anyone know?
Have you found a changelog detailing the benefits of any firmware released since August 2015, i.e. the date of yours? If not, what's the point?

I have not. Not sure. People say to update?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
RVA Mini 0805 3
L Mini 0805 1
ngeddie Mini 0805 24
Back