Newbie Question regarding the 522GW Rear Camera Add on

Starbuck

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Total newbie here so be gentle.

Ive ordered the 522GW and the rear add on (the clippable one) to be hardwire fitted on Friday at Halfords. The guy at the till did mention that he was unsure how much you would see out of the rear camera with my car which is a scenic(5 not 7 seater)
I explained that no-one really sits in the middle seat, and I'm going to take the headrest off as its only really used a couple of times a year when I have a full car. Do you think this will be ok view wise or should I change to the rear mounted one? Id rather not but if the camera won't see anything of use then I would. What are all your thoughts?

Rear camera module all the way.
Those clip on ones seem to just cover the interior, and I guess not much more than what you see out of your rear view mirror, depending on car, so a rear window version would be the far better option IMO for a full field of view.

Having an interior view can be useful, proof that the driver was not using a mobile device, and it can see out of side windows as well as the rear so is more likely to capture an impact. Just don't expect it to read number plates on the cars behind unless the resolution is better than 1080, it may do occasionally and may catch them at the sides, but on a long vehicle it is a little unlikely to get the one behind.

best bet for the OP is to look at some youtube videos of the cameras/modules in use, but IMO, the front and separate rear are the better option.
The other 2 are very limited, IMO

ok thanks for your help I've rung Halfords and changed to the proper rear view add on one

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
KenDay 522GW 10
B 522GW 14
KenDay 522GW 5
T 522GW 2
P 522GW 4
Back