Newbie question: What Does the a 129 c0nnect to for power?

Danky Franky

Reaction score
Country
United States
Can I connect it to the cigarette/power thing in my center glove box? Does it need power or can I charge it and use it without wires? Thank you to any who take the time to answer this.

Dashcams need external power, such as the ciggie lighter or a hardwire kit. Based on whether the car switches that socket on and off with the key, you might have to unplug the cam when you park to prevent draining the car battery till dead- that varies by car.

Phil

The viofo cameras are all 5V cameras as far as i recall, and use one of the USB standard connectors in the camera ( most likely micro or mini USB )
This mean the provided power source have a 12 -> 5 V PSU build into it, and plug into a dash / center console cigarette lighter socket to get the 12 V power.
Alternative a multi port USB charger can also often be used, but you must be sure it is a good one with at least 2 A on the port intended to be used for the camera, and then in that case you also need to have / buy a USB wire with the right plugs and long enough to route it the way you want.
Many new cars also have a USB port somewhere meant for charging stuff, but for unknown reasons these ports are often very anemic and will not be able to power a dashcam.

If using alternative means of power and operational problems are happening, it is a good idea to then try the provided power source before starting to ask for help.

Some dashcams do have a battery inside, but they are very small and like the recommended capacitors are only meant for emergency shut down of the camera in case power is lost in a big event ( some cars will even kill power automatic these days )
But otherwise the high G-forces in a major crash can make things come loose.

Also a heads up, some cars have a socket that are live for some time after you leave the car, much like light ASO can be on the car, this is fine but just something to be aware off.
And yet others have a socket that are live all the time, and in that case a camera plugged into that outlet will also be recording all the time, and this is bad / not optimal.
So in case of a always live socket you can either hard wire to a fuse that are only live when driving, or some 12 V adapters like 3 way splitters have build in automatic breaker so it turn off power to its 3 sockets in case the cars socket are live all the time.

the 12 V socket in cars, you can get a loose DIY one and wire that one into a socket under the dash and then plug the provided power source into that ( and i recommend tape the 2 together so they can not wiggle apart )

12v-female-cigarette-socket.png

Then you of course also need a fuse adapter to plug / piggyback on a fuse in the car, what one you have to figure out there are a few different sizes of these so called ATO or blade fuses.
KfWL.jpg

the 12 V socket in cars, you can get a loose DIY one and wire that one into a socket under the dash and then plug the provided power source into that ( and i recommend tape the 2 together so they can not wiggle apart )

12v-female-cigarette-socket.png

Then you of course also need a fuse adapter to plug / piggyback on a fuse in the car, what one you have to figure out there are a few different sizes of these so called ATO or blade fuses.
KfWL.jpg
Holy cow! If I can, I'll just plug it into the cigarette/power thing. I don't know how to mess with fuses. I hope the a 129 can connect via the cigarette/power thing.

Thats no problem, 99.9 % of cameras are aimed at plugging into the cigarette lighter socket.
The only maybe in your case is you say "center glove box" which i assume are a small closable compartment on the center console, but the dashcam plug do protrude some when it is plugged in, so if there is a lid and it is too close you might not be able to close it, though the wire might also make that a problem.

My sisters car ( A Ford focus ) had a lighter socket on the center console too and it was no problem using that with the camera i put in her car.

Just giving you some options, you should of course only do what you feel like, and most are good with the regular way of powering and do not mind loosing that socket to the dashcam.
Others do not like a wire draped cross more or less of their dashboard, and others like to have that socket open for charging their phone or other devises.

And if your DIY skills are not strong, or your supply of tools are none existing then you can not hard wire a camera, so if you want to go that route you can have a car audio or alarm shop do the install, it should not take more than 1 hour to do.

But you should be very good to go with the viofo camera and your socket in the car, so plug and play.

You can find many tutorial videos on youtube on how to install a dashcam, it is pretty much the same with all cameras and cars so no need to look for the exact model you are going with.

If your gonna use the parking mode, then you’ll want to use the VIOFO 3-wire kit. Otherwise, using the 12V cigarette port is fine.

Thats no problem, 99.9 % of cameras are aimed at plugging into the cigarette lighter socket.
The only maybe in your case is you say "center glove box" which i assume are a small closable compartment on the center console, but the dashcam plug do protrude some when it is plugged in, so if there is a lid and it is too close you might not be able to close it, though the wire might also make that a problem.

My sisters car ( A Ford focus ) had a lighter socket on the center console too and it was no problem using that with the camera i put in her car.

Just giving you some options, you should of course only do what you feel like, and most are good with the regular way of powering and do not mind loosing that socket to the dashcam.
Others do not like a wire draped cross more or less of their dashboard, and others like to have that socket open for charging their phone or other devises.

And if your DIY skills are not strong, or your supply of tools are none existing then you can not hard wire a camera, so if you want to go that route you can have a car audio or alarm shop do the install, it should not take more than 1 hour to do.

But you should be very good to go with the viofo camera and your socket in the car, so plug and play.

You can find many tutorial videos on youtube on how to install a dashcam, it is pretty much the same with all cameras and cars so no need to look for the exact model you are going with.
I got the a 129 pro. It has a cigarette lighter thing. Thank you! Only thing is it doesn't seem to come with a mount. I have to leave it up which will mean that it will get stolen.

I think the camera slide off the mount ( in which the GPS antenna are ) i think it slide on / off sideways.
Most of us leave the camera in the car, though of course when my car was broken into and ransacked on January 4 i did get a camera vandalized and my mirror torn off, but my cameras are still in the car.
You can of course take the camera with you, or at least put in the glove box, but i think the people who do that is a minority.
Installed properly on the top of the windscreen, and if possible partly on a dotted / shaded area so the lens peek out below it, then wedge cameras such as the A129 will just appear as yet another sensor.

This is in my car some years back.

img_20180414_143906-jpg.37474

What you want to focus on if you plan to take the camera off the mount is to have room for it, my first wedge camera that slide up to get off the mount, i almost put it too far up the windscreen and barely had room to get it off the mount.
And getting it off at least when you clean your windscreen on the inside are nice, i use to just slide them off and let them dangle in the wire draped over the mirror, this way i can be more vigorously when cleaning the windscreen on the inside and not get anything on the lenses.
This approach to cleaning of course necessitate you have a bit of slack wire above the headliner.

If your car have some sensor array on the windscreen you probably want to mount the camera to either side of it, again you must factor in a little wiggle room to be able to get it off the mount, at least for cleaning.

Of course in my car with 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 cameras, it is hardly stealthy, but one camera should be very stealthy in my car mounted mostly on the dotted area on front of the mirror, in which case just the bottom 1/3 of the camera are visible below the dotted area.

And you should strive for a stealthy install, it is best if no one dont know you have a camera, in which case they will not hide who they really are, or in worst case try to take your camera or at least render your proof of their wrong doing useless.
In Denmark at least i dont have to submit anything at the scene of a crash, not even if it was a major lethal crash where a crash scene investigate will be present and a slew of cops, though in that case i would say i have a camera but i will not be sharing anything right there, that he will have to wait for until i get home.
And of course i would also submit to my insurance no matter if the other part tried to weasel out of it or not,,,,,, just to prompt insurance companies to consider giving a discount to people with a camer as it make their job so much more easy figuring out who is to pay.

I think the camera slide off the mount ( in which the GPS antenna are ) i think it slide on / off sideways.
Most of us leave the camera in the car, though of course when my car was broken into and ransacked on January 4 i did get a camera vandalized and my mirror torn off, but my cameras are still in the car.
You can of course take the camera with you, or at least put in the glove box, but i think the people who do that is a minority.
Installed properly on the top of the windscreen, and if possible partly on a dotted / shaded area so the lens peek out below it, then wedge cameras such as the A129 will just appear as yet another sensor.

This is in my car some years back.

img_20180414_143906-jpg.37474

What you want to focus on if you plan to take the camera off the mount is to have room for it, my first wedge camera that slide up to get off the mount, i almost put it too far up the windscreen and barely had room to get it off the mount.
And getting it off at least when you clean your windscreen on the inside are nice, i use to just slide them off and let them dangle in the wire draped over the mirror, this way i can be more vigorously when cleaning the windscreen on the inside and not get anything on the lenses.
This approach to cleaning of course necessitate you have a bit of slack wire above the headliner.
Thank you! I gotta take mine down or I won't have it very long. Thanks for the information!

If your car have some sensor array on the windscreen you probably want to mount the camera to either side of it, again you must factor in a little wiggle room to be able to get it off the mount, at least for cleaning.

Of course in my car with 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 cameras, it is hardly stealthy, but one camera should be very stealthy in my car mounted mostly on the dotted area on front of the mirror, in which case just the bottom 1/3 of the camera are visible below the dotted area.

And you should strive for a stealthy install, it is best if no one dont know you have a camera, in which case they will not hide who they really are, or in worst case try to take your camera or at least render your proof of their wrong doing useless.
In Denmark at least i dont have to submit anything at the scene of a crash, not even if it was a major lethal crash where a crash scene investigate will be present and a slew of cops, though in that case i would say i have a camera but i will not be sharing anything right there, that he will have to wait for until i get home.
And of course i would also submit to my insurance no matter if the other part tried to weasel out of it or not,,,,,, just to prompt insurance companies to consider giving a discount to people with a camer as it make their job so much more easy figuring out who is to pay.
Thank you! I gotta take mine down or I won't have it very long. Thanks for the information!

Just be advised repeated install / detach can make the mount loose and so the camera can begin to rattle a bit, not sure how it is with viofo but some provide a thin PUR pad that can go between the mount and camera to stop the rattle.
There are also other "ghetto" mods for this, the main thing is to fill the gap that have occurred, so no problem we will deal with that if / when it happen, we are always here to help.

Just be advised repeated install / detach can make the mount loose and so the camera can begin to rattle a bit, not sure how it is with viofo but some provide a thin PUR pad that can go between the mount and camera to stop the rattle.
There are also other "ghetto" mods for this, the main thing is to fill the gap that have occurred, so no problem we will deal with that if / when it happen, we are always here to help.
The A129 doesn't seem to have that issue, at least not with normal use. It can be a problem on other cameras.

Back