Newbie questions for G90-7S

Hajo

Reaction score
Country
India
Dash Cam
G90 7S
Hi Dashcamers,

Newbie here, just got my first dashcam, the G90 7S. Upon receipt I immediately upgraded the FW to 1138 (boy that link was difficult to find...). Few questions though:

- I formatted my SanDisk 32GB card in the cam, set the recording loop to 3 mins. After driving, I realized it only records the last 4 clips automatically, it seems to overwrite older ones. In the system menu, it shows that the "reserved"(?) area is 27GB and the "normal" area 2GB in size. That means most of the memory is reserved for storage when I press the orange button? That doesn't seem right - I hope I never have so many events... Can this be changed?
- What actually happens when I press the orange button? Does it save the current 3min clip? If yes, what happens if I press the button 0.1secs after a new clip started? Will it only save the previous 0.1secs? And 2Mins:59Secs thereafter?
- Is anyone aware of a player for iOS that also displays the GPS data?

Thx a lot!
Hajo

What system menu are you talking about?
Check the sd card with h2testw program in computer.
Maybe the card is bad.

Orange button saves 10 seconds before and 20 seconds after for a total of 30 second clip.

what if you change the duration of the clips to 1min ? maybe the card is fake, it shows 32GB (on windows it should be less) but in reality has less. Try h2testw, as @Sunny suggested.

The orange button is a mystery :D. Theoretically it should save a short video clip in Event folder; in reality it doesn't work properly (at least on my dashcam. When the screen goes off, pressing two times the button doesn't always work to save the event). Best solution is to use a higher card capacity: 32 GB or even better 64 GB.

Thx guys!

There's a "volume info" or something along the line in the system menu, Ie in the 2nd menu. But I may have misread that info -- it seems that the empty space is mentioned as "reserved". I read that as "event space" instead. After a format, all the space is reported as "reserved"

Checked the card, no error. It's a SanDisk Ultra, I also suspect it's fast enough. Maybe a problem due to vibration, bad contact?

Then I also played with the timeouts (maybe it corrupts the file system when not properly shutting down?) and got even more confused:

- There's the backlight timeout which turns off the display after -/1/3/5 minutes. Clear.
- Then there's the "power off delay" which turns off the cam after ignition off after 0/15/30/60 secs. Also clear. Maybe. Does 0 immediately or never turn it off? It seems never. Hmm..
- Finally there's a "auto power off" with AFAIK -/1/3/5 minutes. What does that do? Always turn off after n minutes? That wouldn't make sense, no?

So there seems no option to turn the cam off immediately when power disappears. It always continues to record for 15secs, yes?

As to the orange button, yes, after some playing I seem to start getting it: It does indeed see pm to save the previous 10 secs. IF the currently recording clip already records for at least 10 secs. I can hear the click on the audio recording, so I think I can get a feel what's going on: I had a clip recording since 3 seconds when I pressed the button. Turns out the event clip has 3 seconds of recording before the button press, 20 secs after.

Many mysteries ;-)

all the space is reported as "reserved"
... just a way of displaying the space.
ixw9w19OQK8LAVWm

it's a SanDisk Ultra...
Many SD Ultra on the market are fakes. I had the chance to buy a fake Samsung Evo 64GB card.
maybe it corrupts the file system when not properly shutting down?
What is the length of your clips ? in the worst case it will corrupt the last clip. I keep mines at 1 min length.
"power off delay" which turns off the cam after ignition off after 0/15/30/60 secs.
The dashcam can stop automatically when the external power is off. In those settings "0=the camera will never automatically shutdown" (so, you'll have to shut it down manually). When the function is On (i.e., 15/30/60) probably the camera is recording, so you'll want to save couple of seconds more, once the power is off (another example: an accident and the power automatically is cut off).
"auto power off" with AFAIK -/1/3/5 minutes. What does that do?
If the camera doesn't record, then it automatically shuts down after some time of inactivity, no matter if the dashcam is connected/or not to an external power source.
On my dashcam: display 1min/ power off delay: 15sec/ auto power: 1min.
there seems no option to turn the cam off immediately when power disappears. It always continues to record for 15secs, yes?
Yes, but it's not a problem. During this time I remove the dashcam from its place on the windshield and place it in the glovebox. The dashcam shutdowns automatically.
the orange button ...
If you'll use off display function, then sometimes doesn't work. I'll check again.

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]Thx for your replies Tobby! I've, when testing the card in the PC, formatted it fully (not quick) in the PC as well. Since 2 days it appears to be working OK now. Originally I had only formatted it in the cam. Maybe that was the problem? I'll observe some more time, let's see...

Since, as I mentioned earlier, it appears that "previous 10secs" for the orange button is only true if you're at least 10secs into the current clip, I decided that it would make sense to have as few new clip startings as possible. Hence I set the "loop time" to maximum for now. Let's see how that works out ;)[/COLOR]

"loop time" to maximum
... set mine to 1min. In case of corruption, I may still have the others available.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L G90 34
Back