Newbie Questions!

nrwd87

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All!

I am travelling to Thailand at the end of the month and am going to buy one of these. (SJ5000 Plus)

I have a few questions though:

1. Is the standard lens fisheye (wide angle)? Or can you switch this on the settings?
I cant seem to find additional lens options online.

2. Is there a video editing studio (like Go Pro Studio) or can I use the Go Pro one to edit SJCAM videos?

3. Can you transfer directly to the cloud or will I need to take a laptop with me and transfer them to the laptop first?

4. Are there many fakes online? Or am I safe to purchase one from eBay?

5. Do SJ4000 batteries work in the SJ5000+ ? I cant seem to find additional batteries for the plus online??

Last edited:
you'll need your laptop with you and yes there are plenty of fakes, you might want to read some of the reviews and also some of the competitor camera reviews, depending on your intended usage there may be better choices, a lot of info on different models here http://pevly.com/ as well as the various reviews on this site

Hi All!

I am travelling to Thailand at the end of the month and am going to buy one of these. (SJ5000 Plus)

I have a few questions though:

1. Is the standard lens fisheye (wide angle)? Or can you switch this on the settings?
I cant seem to find additional lens options online.

2. Is there a video editing studio (like Go Pro Studio) or can I use the Go Pro one to edit SJCAM videos?

3. Can you transfer directly to the cloud or will I need to take a laptop with me and transfer them to the laptop first?

4. Are there many fakes online? Or am I safe to purchase one from eBay?

5. Do SJ4000 batteries work in the SJ5000+ ? I cant seem to find additional batteries for the plus online??

1) Wide angle
2) gopro editor should be compatible.
3) probably need to save to laptop. We have a new app releasing soon so more functionality should be added shortly.
4) Yes, there are fakes but mainly of cheaper SJCAM models. You should be okay on Ebay
5) Yes, the batteries are all interchangeable. Ebay should have batteries for sale.

You can compare all SJCAM models here: https://sjcamhd.com/compare-sjcam-cameras/

Hello,
Also a new sjcam(5000x elite) user (longtime gopro user) with a few initial questions:

1) Can compression rate be lowered? there are more artifacts than I expected
2) what setting could lessen 'glowing' edges ?
3) is there a pdf downloadable manual available? Explaining the different options WDR,FOV, EV ,....
4) can wifi be disabled to save battery ? although first tests suggest 1 hour per battery
5) Are replacement lenses available for the housing? preferably real glass ones

best regards

Last edited:
Hello,
Also a new sjcam(5000x elite) user (longtime gopro user) with a few initial questions:

1) Can compression rate be lowered? there are more artifacts than I expected
2) what setting could lessen 'glowing' edges ?
3) is there a pdf downloadable manual available? Explaining the different options WDR,FOV, EV ,....
4) can wifi be disabled to save battery ? although first tests suggest 1 hour per battery
5) Are replacement lenses available for the housing? preferably real glass ones

best regards
1. Don't know (yet) any program like AFT that can hack into Novatek based FW. So it depends on SJCAM.
2. Can't seem to understand this question. Sorry.
3. You can just type those words into Google. Basically, most of it are basic photography terms.
4. Yes you can. In fact, I tend never used wifi. I prefer to use USB-OTG to transfer the files to my phone. For controlling the camera though, I rarely used the app since there is a screen on all latest SJCAM.
5. Not that I know of. Been looking for it too.

Hope this helps in any way.

thanks for your reply.
for question 2: there is a very strong sharpening effect happening. this results in line and edge features to shimmer or glow.

I posted a pic on another thread https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...-cam-releasing-soon.14274/page-11#post-211461
The example shows a powerline against a blue sky. In the transition from the blue sky to the black powerline, there is a white contour.
Excessive sharpen effect in photoshop gives a similar pattern.
In the video, this translates in shimmering or glowing line/edge features.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F SJ5000 2
Back