Next Base 312GW - Cant format

Duncan1957

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a Next Base 312GW.

Has been working fine, I down load files onto my lap top periodically to make sure all is okay. On last down load I only had the files from a few weeks ago, nothing new.

Looks like memory card has filled up and not been overwritten with the newest data.

Tried to delete the files from the lap top but wouldn't work as they are read only.

Tried to format card when inside the dashcam, using the format tab in the menu selections. screen flashed for a second (usually when formatting it takes a few seconds). Rechecked memory on lap top again and none of the data had been removed. Repeated the above with same result.

I'm using a SanDisk Ultra 32M card, I've noted from other posts that this type of card is problematic - Should I just try another card, if so does anyone have a recommendation.

I have formatted the card before, but only sporadically, should I do it on a more regular basis? Has this caused my problem?

Or do I have a problem with the actual dashcam?

Cheers jokiin.

Any recommendations for the card type, or is it simply anything but a SanDisc.

Had a 312GW about 3 months now. It's been working well, but now it doesn't record whole journeys - e.g. I drive for an hour & the camera's only recorded 3 or 4 5-minute clips. Anyone else found this? Is the camera knackered already or is just a bad memory card?

Cheers jokiin.

Any recommendations for the card type, or is it simply anything but a SanDisc.
If you have the latest firmware R5.4 then you can use SDXC cards, we use SanDisk Ultra's in our testing they work fine.

The SD card needs to be >30mb/s on this model.

Other good cards are the SanDisk High Endurance, Transcend and Lexar.

Thanks Tiffany.

Can I ask, are you with Next Base on an official basis?

If so, why don't Next Base make the size of the memory card clear in their packaging, or try to ensure that the retailers are clear about the requirements.

When I went back to Halfords (UK), I was told that any size of memory card, up to 32G was fine to use.

Thanks Tiffany.

Can I ask, are you with Next Base on an official basis?

If so, why don't Next Base make the size of the memory card clear in their packaging, or try to ensure that the retailers are clear about the requirements.

When I went back to Halfords (UK), I was told that any size of memory card, up to 32G was fine to use.

Yes, I work in the Caerphilly support/warranty office and here to offer advice/support where I can.

At the moment the size (up to 32GB) is on the outside of the package and then repeated in the instructions, this of course will change based on our new firmware allowing the larger SDXC cards.

We are definitely working with retailers at the moment to ensure they're recommending good quality cards with our products. I certainly don't like hearing customers experiencing any disappointment during the life of the camera.

Halfords are correct, all literature still makes reference to up to 32GB. Only with the recent (two weeks ago) R5.4 update can the camera utilise larger capacities.

Thanks Tiffany ... I'm a old Scottish guy and I don't read instructions! Perhaps I should ... lol, as the young folks say.

On the plus side the dash cam is working fine just now. Any future problems I'll get the recommended 32G card.

Great to see you pto-active on forums like this.

Bought this Dash cam last week with brand new Scandisk Ultra 32gb SD card. First time switched on kept saying "Format SD Card", which I did, but it still kept saying it. After a few attempts of plugging into the laptop to use the software it actually started working. In car it was working fine but then yesterday when I started the car again "Format SD Card"!!!!! Looked at a few forums who suggested changing SD Card brand, which I have. Tried the Transcend SD Card but again "Format SD Card", which I did but still NO luck!!!!!

HELP!!!!

Maybe worth pressing the reset button on the dash cam itself and see if the problem re occurs?

Yep tried that still no change.

Nextbase Customer Services me thinks!

Speak to a lady on here called Tiffany whose from nextbase she's a regular forum poster/advisor she will be able to help you with your issues

Hi @Sillyandy77

That is strange for it to constantly say format.

Where have you purchased the cards from? Are you able to try formatting on a computer?

I can talk you through it if you like, call on 02920 866 429 or private message me our telephone number and I will call whenever suits you.

Got both sd cards from amazon.

Rang Nextbase they advised returning it amazon. Done that then went to Argos for a new one. New one works brilliantly.

Thanks all for your help. Much appreciated

Tiffany is a very helpful lady, nice to see these days

I’m setting up the new 312GW dash cam which I got for Christmas along with a new Sandisk Ultra 64GB MicroSD card. On the box it says the device supports cards up to 128GB. The device can see the card but won’t format it. Reading the comments above I see that I probably need to update the firmware. To update the firmware I need to download it onto a computer then copy it onto a formatted memory card, but I can’t format the memory card. I don’t have another smaller MicroSD available. I’d welcome suggestions.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D 312GW 4
C 312GW 2
T 312GW 3
H 312GW 6
P 312GW 0
Back