next base 312gw deluxe

TaxiMark

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi new poster here, as I drive a taxi here in the UK I needed some sort of decent cam for my job and use, after a little bit of research I decided to pay nearly £100 on this model (nb 312gw deluxe), as it had good reviews.

First opinions of it...it looked decent, although a bit fiddly with the buttons but in general nice and neat... however, after a few days it kept playing up, the main thing it kept doing was that it would stop recording, or it would record but miss bits making gaps on unrecorded footage, at one point it crashed when i tried to turn it off, now this (messing about with the cam) was hardly acceptable if I had passengers in on a long journey.

So...I took it back because it was obviously faulty....not for my money back, no....to exchange it for another one such is the reputation that nextbase have... I kept faith and trusted this was a one off....

Now ...I fit the second unit and guess wot ...it does exactly the same, it stops working, sometimes freezes and just malfunctions, so taken it back for a full refund!

So what is wrong with these, I look further and it seems other brands, decent brands too do this....???

Are there any decent dash cams out there that works?? I drive for hours and need a hardworking cam that will last day and night.

Thoughts?

Hi new poster here, as I drive a taxi here in the UK I needed some sort of decent cam for my job and use, after a little bit of research I decided to pay nearly £100 on this model (nb 312gw deluxe), as it had good reviews.

First opinions of it...it looked decent, although a bit fiddly with the buttons but in general nice and neat... however, after a few days it kept playing up, the main thing it kept doing was that it would stop recording, or it would record but miss bits making gaps on unrecorded footage, at one point it crashed when i tried to turn it off, now this (messing about with the cam) was hardly acceptable if I had passengers in on a long journey.

So...I took it back because it was obviously faulty....not for my money back, no....to exchange it for another one such is the reputation that nextbase have... I kept faith and trusted this was a one off....

Now ...I fit the second unit and guess wot ...it does exactly the same, it stops working, sometimes freezes and just malfunctions, so taken it back for a full refund!

So what is wrong with these, I look further and it seems other brands, decent brands too do this....???

Are there any decent dash cams out there that works?? I drive for hours and need a hardworking cam that will last day and night.

Thoughts?
First thing is to try a different memory card. What card were you using?

1. Sandisk cards have a reputation for not playing nice with some dash cams. Just something to keep in mind.

2. Sounds like you may have had motion detection (if it has that feature) turned on. If so, turn it off and see if it keeps operating the same way.

1. Sandisk cards have a reputation for not playing nice with some dash cams. Just something to keep in mind.

2. Sounds like you may have had motion detection turned on. If so, turn it off and see if it keeps operating the same way.
I did turn the motion detection off but that didnt help, whats the point of having that feature anyway if it stops the cam working like it should?

Could be leaning towards the memory card, always thought sandisk was top quality cards to use,.....hmmmm.

........such is the reputation that nextbase have... I kept faith and trusted this was a one off....

Nextbase (similar to DOD) are praised to the skies in UK reviews, but there are other cams which offer better value for money, better reliability and better longevity. I've had a few Nextbase but they only worked for between a few months to a bit over a year. I wouldn't touch their products again, nor recommend them.

....As Next base dont come with their own memory cards I bought a new 32mb micro sandisk.....

Sandisk are not popular for dashcams due to the cards not liking the constant write-overwrite, but as long as it was at least class 6 (ideally class 10) it should work - my wife and I have a couple of Sandisk Ultra (red/grey) class 10 cards which have worked fine in dashcams for a few years.

....I drive for hours and need a hardworking cam that will last day and night.....Thoughts?

Depends how much you want to spend and depends on your expectations of performance.

These are about the only cams I would shortlist, in probable price order:
Transcend Drive Pro 100
Mobius C2 (need to buy mount, power cable etc)
Mio Mivue 528 (538 if you want speed stamp)
JooVuu X
Panorama II S
Street Guardian SG9665GC
Street Guardian SGZC12RC

Note that twice the price doesn't give twice the performance.
Also note that I can find something or even multiple things to grumble about with all the cams mentioned; no cam is perfect and what best suits one person might not fully suit someone else.

Nextbase (similar to DOD) are praised to the skies in UK reviews, but there are other cams which offer better value for money, better reliability and better longevity. I've had a few Nextbase but they only worked for between a few months to a bit over a year. I wouldn't touch their products again, nor recommend them.

Sandisk are not popular for dashcams due to the cards not liking the constant write-overwrite, but as long as it was at least class 6 (ideally class 10) it should work - my wife and I have a couple of Sandisk Ultra (red/grey) class 10 cards which have worked fine in dashcams for a few years.

Depends how much you want to spend and depends on your expectations of performance.

These are about the only cams I would shortlist, in probable price order:
Transcend Drive Pro 100
Mobius C2 (need to buy mount, power cable etc)
Mio Mivue 528 (538 if you want speed stamp)
JooVuu X
Panorama II S
Street Guardian SG9665GC
Street Guardian SGZC12RC

Note that twice the price doesn't give twice the performance.
Also note that I can find something or even multiple things to grumble about with all the cams mentioned; no cam is perfect and what best suits one person might not fully suit someone else.

Appreciate your reply....its a minefield.

I'd pay well over £100 if need be, just want something that actually works and is decent quality, not a big ask really!

Whats the difference with these and Sandisk?
In addition to actual storage memory cards all have controller circuitry embedded and that control logic can vary from card to card. In some cases the way that logic works can cause erratic dash cam performance. @jokiin could possibly, actually probably, shed more light on the subject than I can.

Nextbase / Dod are using in their lab ADATA memory cards to tune firmware. Street Guardian uses Transcend 300x 400x and other series from this brand for firmware test. Thinkware has also one specific memory cards brand sourced out when tuning firmware. In many cases other brands / types memory cards may work also fine with most dashcams, but for less risk better to go with cards which manufacturer recommends. Of course SanDisk is known as the most fussiest brands to use with dashcams, except Ultra series which has good feedback from some forum members, however this may vary depending on dascham.

I'm so glad that it isn't just me that it does this to! I have had the unit replaced once and after a few weeks the problem started again so they exchanged the memory card (scan disk 32g) but after a week or so the same fault occurred! The memory card was sold along side the unit and was even branded by nextbase. Looks like I will be going back to the retailer!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D 312GW 4
C 312GW 2
T 312GW 3
H 312GW 6
P 312GW 0
Back