Next version of Mobius?

Evan55

Reaction score
Country
United States
The mobius is getting a pretty long in the tooth. Any word on if/when it will get an update?

well allrighty then.

viva outdated technology!

is it not performing?

a lot of the latest and greatest don't work too reliably
This is very true indeed! Some manufacturers just grab the first DSP they can get their hands on just because the specifications sound good or the chip is easy to program or has a good price tag.
Building a camera using a DSP that has serious issues is not the way to go - especially if you want a totally flexible design and don't want to anger your customers...
Testing and choosing the right DSP is essential for the future of any camera.

Hi @Evan55
Creating a camera is no small or easy feat and to create something as high quality as the Mobius is an insanely long process that is not only time consuming, but demoralizing and exhausting. Ask @jokiin who is and has created/produced camera,, @Isoprop who is instrumental in the success of the Mobius through his insane programming and testing skills, and @RockThinking who also creates cameras. This is not something that is easily done and achieved. Furthermore, with the Mobius's popularity I know they are having supply issues which the last time I spoke to them, this is where they are putting their attention. Yes the technology is not the most current but As jokiin states, 'is it not performing?'.

Designing the camera is not the hardest part it is actually everything that comes after as IsoProp states, testing the DSP is huge and finding the right one, testing the firmware until you can almost recite the source code, putting the PCBA through its paces, all of this not only takes time but is only a fraction of what goes on. The reason the Mobius is so popular is because it is so well built, and that takes time, effort, and a little bit of love, nothing that can be achieved quickly nor should it be.

Kind regards,

JooVuu

PS
For anyone hoping for the Mobius version of the Xiaomi will probably be disappointed as nobody except the largest corporations can get the hardware that cheap.

PPS
If you would a good comparisson about how well built the Mobius is, compare the G1W and the Mobius as they both virtually use the same hardware, and see which camera has better reliability, quality, and features.

Last edited:
Below may be off topic, but the solid lesson tell us what is important for dashcam development.

I just caught the serious accident and thanks for Ford, their well built car saves my life, I am still alive.

Both cars installed dashcam, Mine is C3, other one looks well built, After Traffic policemen checked both cameras, only C3 recorded whole process, the SD card from other one is empty. that is the case, the camera looks always working,, but when you need the recordings, nothing there.

Back to the topic about camera development, it is not about how fast to release a good product, how attractive features, settings, which all are does not matter if the product is not reliable, only the reliability is key feature, that related a lot of effort in development from design and development, testing.

I just caught the serious accident and thanks for Ford, their well built car saves my life, I am still alive.

I'm happy to know that you're ok.

...the SD card from other one is empty. that is the case, the camera looks always working,, but when you need the recordings, nothing there.

This is why I check the video clips from my 2 Mobius cams on a weekly basis. To be fair, It's been a waste of time as that winking red LED has never lied to me. Nevertheless, I cannot trust any DashCam that relies on SD or MicroSD cards to actually be recording anything.

I'm not sure whether any DashCam contains circuitry to check that clips are successfully recording to memory card & that they're not corrupted. Is that even doable?

All the DashCams with their screens on, recording light lit, beeping noises, synthesised voices messages ... do these reassuring things really prove that the device is recording to memory card?

All the DashCams with their screens on, recording light lit, beeping noises, synthesised voices messages ... do these reassuring things really prove that the device is recording to memory card?
No, as I found out in the early days. I owned a T-eye dashcam that I ended up binning as it appeared to be recording - but wasn't.
Also, in the early days with my F70, I thought I'd captured some cracking shots of idiots driving on snowy/frosty roads - but I didn't. Although to be fair to the F70, I discovered I was using the wrong class (too high) of SD card and I had some of the 'extras' turned on (G-sensor).
And then with the DR32, lots of reassuring features - but the audio was shot and the video didn't like capturing reds or blues - and after about 8 months I got fed up with the thing keep turning off/losing footage.
The mobius only seems to do 3 things - record video, record audio and flash a red LED every second.

I personally saw the recording on the screen from that dashcam, and checked SD card also by myself, nothing there. the guy was crazy when found nothing inside.

Anyway, back on topic...! It would be great to see a 1080P/60 version of the mobius but I guess it's going to take a while. It would be a blunder to abandon the Mobius name and brand awareness so I guess they would still use the same name and basic form factor.

The price of the mobius starts to look a little high compared to the Xiaomi Yi so I wonder if there's room for the manufacturer to drop a little, or if the component costs haven't reduced so much.

Xiaomi business model is always about large volume at very small profit, what price it sells for isn't really comparable to the mobius, don't see that they have room to reduce pricing, its already very cheap

Anyway, back on topic...! It would be great to see a 1080P/60 version of the mobius but I guess it's going to take a while. It would be a blunder to abandon the Mobius name and brand awareness so I guess they would still use the same name and basic form factor.

The price of the mobius starts to look a little high compared to the Xiaomi Yi so I wonder if there's room for the manufacturer to drop a little, or if the component costs haven't reduced so much.

Xiaomi business model is always about large volume at very small profit, what price it sells for isn't really comparable to the mobius, don't see that they have room to reduce pricing, its already very cheap

Hi @DucknDive
As @jokiin states Xiaomi will be turning over a huge volume at just a few dollars profit (maybe less). There is also little support for them other than unofficial customer support threads in forums and Xiaomi have a great history of releasing an amazing product, updating it for about 3-6 months and then just leaving it. Also, as I have mentioned in blog posts/forum posts, the cost of the camera does not just reflect the hardware, but rather their time, effort, support, development etc. If you want a good comparison, compare the G1W with the Mobius...which one is better? Virtually the same hardware but look at how much better one is over the other.

We are soon to be a manufacturer ourselves and the learning curve of what actually goes into developing and manufacturing a camera is astronomical...so the Mobius is not only a great price, but for everything you get it's a bloody steal.

Kind regards,

Dan

Hi @DucknDive
As @jokiin states Xiaomi will be turning over a huge volume at just a few dollars profit (maybe less). There is also little support for them other than unofficial customer support threads in forums and Xiaomi have a great history of releasing an amazing product, updating it for about 3-6 months and then just leaving it. Also, as I have mentioned in blog posts/forum posts, the cost of the camera does not just reflect the hardware, but rather their time, effort, support, development etc. If you want a good comparison, compare the G1W with the Mobius...which one is better? Virtually the same hardware but look at how much better one is over the other.

We are soon to be a manufacturer ourselves and the learning curve of what actually goes into developing and manufacturing a camera is astronomical...so the Mobius is not only a great price, but for everything you get it's a bloody steal.

Kind regards,

Dan

Why is the Mobius so flakey? I'd rather you brought out some new firmware that addresses the numerous glitches in the unreliable current version of Mobius. For instance:
1) Mobius goes on standby in mid record, or never starts recording at all (even when set to loop)
2) More worryingly, the Mobius now doesn't even start with any lights on a couple of times a week... Even unplugging and re-plugging doesn't show any LED lights. Then you might use it a few hours later and it will work.

This to me suggests poor design and components. I've spoken to other who have Mobius cameras and whilst they are great when working, they are just too hit and miss and cannot be relied upon.

So can any manufacturing visions and fix the current substandard Mobius.

This might be a harsh follow-up, but you need to be told.

Checked your memory cards? The Mobius is a very stable product, poor quality memory cards or a sub standard power supply are the usual culprits, they've shipped an enormous amount of them with very little problem, @Isoprop might have some insight on what else to check, there's a slim chance you have a hardware issue but you'd be in the small minority

Why is the Mobius so flakey? I'd rather you brought out some new firmware that addresses the numerous glitches in the unreliable current version of Mobius. For instance:
1) Mobius goes on standby in mid record, or never starts recording at all (even when set to loop)
2) More worryingly, the Mobius now doesn't even start with any lights on a couple of times a week... Even unplugging and re-plugging doesn't show any LED lights. Then you might use it a few hours later and it will work.

This to me suggests poor design and components. I've spoken to other who have Mobius cameras and whilst they are great when working, they are just too hit and miss and cannot be relied upon.

Making a blanket statement like this, makes it sound as if all Mobius are, as you say, "flakey". I have two that do not exhibit this behavior and have been working reliably through many firmware updates. In fact being here on DCT for quite a while and reading countless posts about countless cameras, none have been more reliable than the Mobius nor have been more updated and improved than the Mobius. My few month old C lens is as sharp and reliable as my year and a half A lens.

Just because your Mobius doesn't perform as it should there is absolutely no reason to call the design "flakey". If you had any understanding of electronics you'd know the Mobius is a well designed and stable camera. The components used are standard components of good quality but obviously not military grade. In addition the hardware is constantly being updated.
No firmware is bug-free, but to say the current firmware has numerous glitches and is unreliable is just not true.

As @jokiin has posted, the issues you describe are typical of a problem with your SD card. Are you using the recommended class 4 Kingston card? Do you regularly format the card using the built-in formatter?
If the Mobius doesn't start properly there may also be a problem with the battery or the USB power cable or your external USB power supply (car ignition) or you may even have slightly damaged the UBS plug.
Before blaming the camera, check the other items I've listed.
As with any device, there's always a small chance your camera has a hardware issue, but from your description it doesn't sound likely.

I had quite a few problems a few years ago with my new shiny (and recently fitted) dash cam switching on and off when it pleased, which we initially blamed on a faulty dash camera, however, we discovered on closer inspection that the camera was OK and that it was actually the cigarette lighter charger which was defective, and we only discovered this by accident when the electrician noticed the LED on the charger was flashing on and off in a random manner and was getting very hot indeed. Once it was replaced the camera worked fine.

Having purchased several other brands of dash camera over the years, and some costing considerably more money, I can put hand on heart and say that the Mobius is probably one of the better designed and manufactured cameras that I have come across, and it's certainly one of the more reliable dash cams currently available. You only have to look at the firmware updates and the continual improvement in video quality to appreciate that the developers really do care about the product.

It would seem that many more users are experiencing problems following the purchase of a fake SD card which causes absolute havoc, so please check out your SD card first to make sure it's a genuine one, or perhaps buy a new one from a reliable source.

Does anyone know how long a 64gb record continously? How many hours approximately?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Mobius 2 / M2 5
Back