Next version of Mobius?

Yeah, it is hard to tell what the problem is, the sensor on its own do not seem that much more expensive if you look at prices out there, but
there might be other complications that I do not know of. APS-C could be to large to be practical but there should be no problem using
"1 inch" or "micro four thirds". I guess they will have to if they want to go for 4k video with any decent quality in the video.

For me, 1080p with 60fps option (when needed but I would still use 30fps most of the time), and larger sensor should overcome
image quality problem (or improve it a lot) and as a bonus you will get much better low light performance.

Who knows, someone might be working on it, or it might be possible to start using actioncams as dashcams since they have
most of the functions anyway, if they give you way better quality on the video, why not ?

I was going to get the mobius, but ever since I heard that a mobius2 is coming out soon, I have been waiting, perfect camera
for a permanent hidden install :D

30P vs 60P is a resolution of time. If I look at the footage of accident videos posted on YouTube, you can drop the frame rate down to 15P and still get a clear idea of what happened. Now if a car flipped over, 60P or better yet 120P would give a really cool slow motion of it happening. However the bottom line is that as far as a video for the insurance company or courts, I just don't see 60P as that critical. I want to point out that in full sunlight, the shutter speed of the CMOS sensor is very short, maybe around 1/1000 of a second (give or take), so the sharpness of each frame is still there. At night, longer exposures are required to capture the light, so night video isn't as good.

Now as for 4K vs 1080P, most of the time the accident videos don't matter as to the resolution. Even lowly standard definition shows exactly what happened. It's only a hit and run where having the detail of the license plate pays off OR I capture an event in the distance that the extra detail pays off.

@BobDiaz, I've been wanting to respond to your post for several days but needed to wait until I had a bit of time to do so. Basically, I strongly disagree with your viewpoints here as I find them overly simplistic and feel you are making extremely generalized assumptions regarding what may truly be required in evidence capture.

When you issue a statement that, "you can drop the frame rate down to 15P and 'still get a clear idea of what happened" it is clear that you have never been in a situation vis-a-vis your dash camera where you have had to legally prove a case to Law Enforcement personnel, state prosecutors or go up against an aggressive defense attorney regarding the use of your dash camera footage in a criminal matter. A remark like, "Even lowly standard definition shows exactly what happened" strikes me as completely out of touch with the realities of what can happen out here in the real world and I believe your notion that higher frame rates are not "critical" in courtrooms or for insurance claims to be sorely missing the mark considering the negative consequences of not being able to prove one's case.

It is one thing to "see what happened" at 15 fps (or 30 fps) during a typical fender bender or even worse but it is an entirely different matter when you must provide indisputable, actionable legal evidence. Fifteen frames per second happens to be the bare minimum rate that is required to create the illusion of continuous motion on screen, but that is about it. Slower frame rates, including 30fps tend to be subject to excessive motion blur and jutter. Slow frame rates miss key moments that tell the full story of an event. It has been demonstrated that in film and video each increase in the number of frames captured per second gives you both smoother motion and most importantly for our purposes as dash cam owners, 60fps provides more individual frames that are sharper and that reveal more fine detail.

While shutter speed plays a role here, the fact is that small, relatively primitive digital dash cameras that use electronic rolling shutters are highly prone to motion blur when compared side by side with the global shutters found in more sophisticated cameras. Shutter speeds in rolling shutter cameras have far less ability to freeze motion than in global shutter cameras by the very nature of how they function.

Other factors are at play here when it comes to achieving sharp individual frame capture. True 4K and higher cameras provide high spatial resolution (also known as angular resolution) while higher frame rates provide what is called temporal resolution. The combination of spatial resolution and temporal resolution is what is required to give us the kind of clarity of image capture many of us seek and eventually hope to see from our dash cams.

I should explain at this point why I so adamantly disagree with your argument against the need for higher frame rates.

I first became interested in dash cams about six years ago because I was being harassed and threatened by a highly disturbed individual I once did some business with who was angry that I hired an attorney after he broke a contract. It is a long complicated story involving threats, harassment, vandalism and stalking. One of the things that was going on was that this individual would swerve his vehicle at me when coming from the opposite direction in an attempt to run me off the road or would nearly side swipe me within inches as a form of intimidation. Eventually, out of necessity I started using an older cam-corder in my vehicle and then actual dedicated dash cams but it took a very long time to get the police to take action against this individual because law enforcement requires actual, definitive evidence before they have "probable cause" to make an arrest. And don't think it is merely capturing a license plate is all that is necessary. In a legal matter that ends up in court it comes down to definitively proving that a specific individual vehicle was doing this as well as identifying who was driving. Once an arrest is made the evidence goes to a prosecutor who has specific requirements if they ever hope to achieve a conviction. Of course, once a defense attorney gets involved he will do whatever he can to dispose of your video evidence in court.

I can tell you with certainty that if I had a 60 fps dash cam it would have made a huge difference. As it was, the case came down to individual frame captures presented as stills, one by one in sequence. Remember, many things that happen out on the road at high speed take only a second or two in real time and happen in the blink of an eye when you experience an incident. The ability to sort thorough 60 sharper individual frames captured during each second of an event is far more desirable than having only thirty motion blurry frames to work with that are less clear than what can be captured at 60fps.

While one might try to argue that the case I outline here is highly unique, I have learned over the last six years of dash cam ownership that it most certainly is not. Many times I have found myself in situations where higher frames rates, lower motion blur and greater detail are the most important thing one would want in a dash cam. Fortunately, the other events I refer to were close calls but if something were to actually happen I would want to capture the best footage possible.

One example of what I am talking about was the time an apparent drunk nearly hit me head-on rounding a blind curve at high speed. Instead, he just came very close to side swiping me but I have no way to know if he would have stopped or kept on going. Certainly, higher frames rates providing better detail would be extremely valuable in a situation like this. The entire event where the truck almost hits me lasts exactly one second. In this instance, there was a license plate to capture but perhaps more importantly was the name of a business and logo on the side of the truck.

In your other thread questioning the need for 60 fps I posted a link to a well crafted web page that allows one to see, manipulate and simultaneously compare frame rates and motion blur. I highly recommend it for anyone reading this thread who hasn't taken the time to have a look at it. https://frames-per-second.appspot.com/. It demonstrates the critical differences between frame rates with such absolute clarity not much more needs to be said about it.

Here's a grab - 15 fps vs 24 fps vs 30fps vs 60fps:

fps2.png

The dash cam I bought six years ago shot 1080P @ 30 fps and was rather impressive in certain ways but it was really very primitive and sub par by today's standards. It has been exciting and gratifying to witness the ongoing image improvements we've seen over the last six years along with dramatically improved night performance and as a dedicated dash enthusiast who has been through quite a few different models and has become especially enamored with the quality and reliability of the Mobius I am personally excited by the prospect of 60 fps (or higher!). I can't wait for the Mobius 2! In fact, from my experience over these last six years and what I now know I don't believe I would ever by another dash cam going forward that can't achieve at least 60 fps considering where the technology is right now and where it is headed.

For these reasons it is hard for me to understand the mentality of advocating for what will be an increasingly obsolete frame rate specification going forward when the whole point of having a dash cam is to capture the absolute best quality legally actionable evidence we can if the need should ever arise either to protect ourselves from liability or to PROVE other's culpability in court or for an insurance claim. What is required is that you want the kind of absolute proof that prevents the other party from having any possible opportunity for legal deniability. When push comes to shove in a legal matter there is far more at stake than capturing just "what happened" without the required level of proof and detail. Dismissing and discounting a vastly improved next generation frame rate specification is something that I just don't quite understand.

Last edited:
Many folks have voiced wishes for all kinds of new features and bells and whistles for the Mobius 2, yet for me I hope (and expect) the developer will wisely just give us what will amount to a new updated, higher performance version of the original and 60fps is one of the important primary features I am most looking forward to. I would certainly feel the same way about any Street Guardian product and I have the feeling that 60 fps capability (and higher) will be eventually be a requirement to remain competitive in the dash cam or action cam market.

I think higher frame rates will be more relevant than higher resolutions, for dashcams at least

I agree completely. As I've been trying to express, I believe dash cams are all about high quality documentation and evidence capture more so than cinematic imagery.

As technology improves you will eventually not have a choice but to utilize it. Try buying a standard DVD player. Your choice is Bluray with or without 4k now, but there will come a time when you won't be able to buy anything but a 4k or higher at the same price point as the standard Bluray player today.

60fps will become standard...someday. It is inevitable, embrace change... btw, I bought my first VHS for $650 dollars. My intel 286 was turbo and the phrase of the day at the time was, "you'd never be able utilize a 386.. ever." So there's that.

I would assume if you snap 15 FPS then it would result in the same as the 60 FPS frames if you use the same parameters for each recording ( ISO + exposure time )
But offcourse if the 15 FPS camera allso dive down to 1:15 second exposure timing then yes it will suffer from more motion blur, but if that camera stick to the 1:60 exposure timing the 60 FPS camera use then i would assume its the same only the 15 FPS camera dont have as many frames saved offcourse, and if the target is fast moving you might miss it all together with just 15 FPS.
And having a lot of frames must mean you have a larger chance of getting that 1 good capture you need, thats at least one way i look at it too, thats allso the reason i say i wouldent even mind a 120 FPS dashcam as that give me even more chances of getting that 1 good capture + i can slow things i captured down to enjoy the monumental stupid move that A -hole in front of me made.

The latter offcourse necessitate cameras that do not use a meager SD card as storage media, otherwise i would not touch it with a 10 foot pole.

Yeah it is kind of a given, that we will get 1080p at 60fps (or 50fps for PAL versions). I guess it is a much bigger problem to find a sensor and lens that works
well and produces great image quality. Going to 4k is overkill for dashcam video anyway, the only real benefit of 4k (from DSLR) is the great details you can get from scenic shooting, overview shots,
wildlife and that stuff.

It might be possible to get a bit more detail from WQHD (2560*1440) but I doubt it will make a big difference, if you look at current 4k video from DSLR, like sony, panasonic
it looks great, but that is mostly for stationary shots or with little movement. And they all have problems when there it lots of movement in the video, as they only do 30fps.
So it is more the FPS that is the problem, not the higher details.

What dashcams need now, is 1080p 60fps and gyro (digital image stabilization), like from the sony actioncams. It makes a huge difference to the quality in the video
as a dashcams records lots of things in motion all the time. You might not need 60fps, as most (like me) are fine with 30fps, we will get 60fps anyway as the technology
of the chips improves, but more stable mounting systems for dash cams (like stedicam, gimbal typ thing) and digital image stabilization will be like night a day for the video !

The good new is:

The modern chips that are coming out (and soon everyone will probably have it), do have built in "digital image stabilization" and 1080p 60fps :D

I would assume if you snap 15 FPS then it would result in the same as the 60 FPS frames if you use the same parameters for each recording ( ISO + exposure time )
But offcourse if the 15 FPS camera allso dive down to 1:15 second exposure timing then yes it will suffer from more motion blur, but if that camera stick to the 1:60 exposure timing the 60 FPS camera use then i would assume its the same only the 15 FPS camera dont have as many frames saved offcourse, and if the target is fast moving you might miss it all together with just 15 FPS.
And having a lot of frames must mean you have a larger chance of getting that 1 good capture you need, thats at least one way i look at it too, thats allso the reason i say i wouldent even mind a 120 FPS dashcam as that give me even more chances of getting that 1 good capture + i can slow things i captured down to enjoy the monumental stupid move that A -hole in front of me made.

The latter offcourse necessitate cameras that do not use a meager SD card as storage media, otherwise i would not touch it with a 10 foot pole.

You have a good point about catching the one good frame capture that has the information you need. Many times when I go through footage frame by frame there is only one frame that has a good clear image of a license plate. Obviously with twice as many frames you will have twice as many opportunities to catch important details of a fast moving object. Another consideration is that when two cars are approaching each other at high speed at 30 fps video capture, the car coming at you is moving quite a few feet between each frame leaving a gap between frames. Sixty frames per second give you twice as many chances at capturing that one or two frames that tell the story or give you the information you need and each frame should have greater clarity. Of course, this is what the concept of temporal resolution mentioned above is referring to.

Also, I basically agree with @DennisOlof that 4k is overkill for dash cam footage except that the extra resolution does provide for the possibility of zooming in on a screen image to see certain details that might not be clear in lower resolution, like a license plate for example.

Last edited:
Yeah digital zoom on a 4K image is allso one of a fjew things i can see as a plus with a 4K dashcam, that should increase the chance of that 1 good frame a little.

I an not sure it will raise that to 2 X better chance of that plate, but given that the general performance of a 4K camera Vs a 1080p camers is otherwise the same it must be up there.
But i still feel 1080 is where its at, or at least where newer technologies will first manifest them self, i really look forward to the sensors that need to go to fastest exposure and lowest possible ISO to not overexpose badly in daytime.

In general i dont feel like 30 FPS dont make for allright footage, its not like i sit and watch footage and think this laggin, but offcourse if i had the chance to jumb between a 30 FPS steam and a 60 FPS one i an sure i would notice it.
But in general i dont feel 30 to be laggy, and sure not enuff for dashcam in general, and i am sure with a much faster sensor then 30 FPS should be enuff at that should give more than that 1 good frame in the second or so that oncomming car is within the optial sweetspot of that wide angle lens.

But if they can give me 60 or 120 FPS i will take it :)

What dashcams need now, is 1080p 60fps and gyro (digital image stabilization), like from the sony actioncams. It makes a huge difference to the quality in the video
as a dashcams records lots of things in motion all the time. You might not need 60fps, as most (like me) are fine with 30fps, we will get 60fps anyway as the technology
of the chips improves, but more stable mounting systems for dash cams (like stedicam, gimbal typ thing) and digital image stabilization will be like night a day for the video !

it could probably more correctly be called digital camera stabilisation, a solidly mounted dashcam does not need this and will end up with a softer picture as a result

Here's a grab - 15 fps vs 24 fps vs 30fps vs 60fps:

Dashmellow,

One very important point, 15FPS does NOT mean that the shutter speed will be 1/15 or a second or 1/30 of a second. The diagram you showed is very misleading. The lenses we use have a fixed aperture, thus the only way to limit the light and avoid overexposure is through a shorter shutter speed. Thus in full sunlight the shutter speed may be around 1/1000 of a second or higher and it will be the same no matter what the frame rate is. Night video is another problem, the manufacturer decides how long to make the shutter speed. This should be a user selection of longest shutter speed, so the user decides if they want maximum low light performance OR screw low light, I want short shutter speeds. This is why I'm a fan of larger image sensors for better low light performance.

I admit that lawyers will look for ANYTHING to get their client off the hook, but that's true for any video at any frame rate. In your center road curve video, I counted over 30 frames where one could clearly see the truck was was over the line and your footage was 30P.

Here's my footage of an accident, shot at 30P. Look closely, did the car going straight have a green light OR a red light, the footage is very clear on that point. If you look at the footage frame by frame, you can see the point where the air bag goes off in the car turning left. WARNING: Very strong language ("holly s***") follows just after the crash.

By the way Canon introduced a full frame 1920x1080 video camera with an impressive ISO of 4,560,000. Each pixel on the sensor is massive compared to other cameras. The cost takes it way way out of the dashcam field, $19,999. However the camera does show how a larger sensor with larger pixels can produce amazing low light performance.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...ap=y&m=Y&c3api=1876,91439130122,&A=details&Q=

http://petapixel.com/2015/09/13/this-is-iso-4560000-with-canons-crazy-new-camera/

http://petapixel.com/2015/07/30/canon-just-unleashed-an-iso-4000000-camera/

Well 1080p 60fps is good enough and will make video smoother and reading license plates easy. I would say one of the problems is that it generates larger
files and takes up more space. To compensate for this it would be nice if the hardware could start using HEVC (x265) and support larger SD-Cards like 128Gb
but someone said

The main problem with larger SD-cards is that in some cases you need new hardware, and in others you need new SDK, and they charge a lot of money for
that, you do not just get that for free or a cheap upgrade so they cold just release a new firmware and be done with it.

That canon camera is indeed cool, a thing i might drop some dime on if i was to win a little,,,,, well a lot of money.

I an getting my Nice to fill out my next lotto ticket, seems she is wery lucky with what she do on the interweb, just last week she won around 7000 DKkr online.

Hoping a little of her luck will rub off on Uncle :cool:

The Canon camera does show what is possible. Remember if you wanted a video camera that could shoot 1080 at 30P back in 2000, it would cost a lot more than $20,000. :)

Dashmellow,

One very important point, 15FPS does NOT mean that the shutter speed will be 1/15 or a second or 1/30 of a second. The diagram you showed is very misleading. The lenses we use have a fixed aperture, thus the only way to limit the light and avoid overexposure is through a shorter shutter speed. Thus in full sunlight the shutter speed may be around 1/1000 of a second or higher and it will be the same no matter what the frame rate is. Night video is another problem, the manufacturer decides how long to make the shutter speed. This should be a user selection of longest shutter speed, so the user decides if they want maximum low light performance OR screw low light, I want short shutter speeds. This is why I'm a fan of larger image sensors for better low light performance.

I admit that lawyers will look for ANYTHING to get their client off the hook, but that's true for any video at any frame rate. In your center road curve video, I counted over 30 frames where one could clearly see the truck was was over the line and your footage was 30P.

Here's my footage of an accident, shot at 30P. Look closely, did the car going straight have a green light OR a red light, the footage is very clear on that point. If you look at the footage frame by frame, you can see the point where the air bag goes off in the car turning left. WARNING: Very strong language ("holly s***") follows just after the crash.

@BobDiaz, I am well aware that frames per second and shutter speed are not the same thing. That is in part why I said, "shutter speed plays a role here" in my earlier lengthy post. In video in general and electronic rolling shutter cameras with fixed apertures in particular, such as dash cams, both frame rate and shutter speed work in concert when it comes to capturing frame by frame detail. Depending upon the lighting this can be better or worse but all things being equal the higher frame rate camera will have a greater chance of fine detail capture.

In any event, I began my previous post by stating that I felt that your viewpoint about this subject was overly simplistic and that you were making rather generalized assumptions regarding what may truly be required for effective detailed evidence capture in fast moving circumstances. Your reply here seems to only reinforce my opinion about that and so I will try once again to explain.

It feels like you have missed the whole point of what I have tried to express and demonstrate. According to you, if a car crash should happen right in front of you it should not matter what frame rate is used because the viewer would be able to see what happened and provide the video to the police or to an insurance company because everything is obvious. While this premise would be basically true in many circumstances, particularly where you end up with disabled vehicles sitting there after the event waiting for the cops to arrive and sort things out, it completely ignores the need to capture more detail in fast moving situations that may not be so cut and dry and that often occur in the blink of an eye.

In missing my point, you apparently ignore what I actually said in connection with my posting a video of nearly getting side swiped by another vehicle. What I said was, "The entire event where the truck almost hits me lasts exactly one second. In this instance, there was a license plate to capture but perhaps more importantly was the name of a business and logo on the side of the truck." - "I have no way to know if he would have stopped or kept on going."

According to you, it is obvious that the guy was way over the double yellow line and therefore that is all I needed to capture; story over. "- In your center road curve video, I counted over 30 frames where one could clearly see the truck was was over the line.", you say. But that is what misses the point because that fact would be obvious at any frame rate. However, if the guy had actually side swiped my vehicle and kept going, I would have been out of luck because the camera did not capture a readable license plate number in those 30 frames, nor did it capture the logo and name of the business on the side of his truck. My point was and is that a higher frame rate would be much more likely to have captured those vital details well enough to be actionable. So, if I had been able to capture that information, then I would have recourse if something worse had occurred.

curve.png

plate.png

swiper.png

I tried in my previous post to show that there is ample authoritative third party documentation that high frame rates will capture clearer individual frames with more clarity and reduced motion blur but I have done some experimentation on my own in connection with a series of simultaneous camera comparisons I've been doing for other reasons.

The following two frame crops show the difference between video captured at 1080P - @ 30 fps vs 1080P @ 45 fps.

The image on the left is of no real value as documentary evidence if it were to have involved an accident or whatever because it failed to capture important detail, whereas the higher frame rate image on the right identifies a specific vehicle because it captured the logo on the door and THAT is what this whole frame rate argument is all about.

exampleA1.jpgExampleB.png

An excellent article about higher frame rate playback can be found on the RED DIGITAL CAMERA web site, makers of the famous series of high end cinema cameras favored by Peter Jackson and used in the production of several of the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit movies and many other Hollywood productions. (Jackson is a strong advocate of HFR). While the discussion revolves mostly around the use of HFR in cinema which of course uses different shutter speed techniques and lenses with variable apertures, the same basic principles apply to any form of film or video, even dash cams.

A few quotes from the article:

"Even though about 15 fps is needed to initiate the illusion of continuous motion, the effect by no means stops there. Visual studies have shown that even if one cannot distinguish discrete images, a frame rate all the way up to 60-80 fps makes footage appear more lifelike by enhancing clarity and smoothness."

"Everything else being equal, one can also extract sharper and more precisely positioned stills with HFR."

The article also offers a visual presentation not unlike the https://frames-per-second.appspot.com/ demonstration that attempts to demonstrate the ability of higher frame rates to capture increased clarity and detail per still frame.

10.png
24.png
60.png

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Mobius 2 / M2 5
Back