Nextbase 222g battery?

G-ManDude

Reaction score
Country
United States
New member here, i had just purchased 222g in Mid June of this year 2020 and 3 months later (Aug.2020) I constantly have low battery even when plugged in cig lighter or Hard wired.
What is going on with this dash cam? Parking mode is off and used once in awhile, cam charged over night and still dying within minutes or even seconds.

Started 3 weeks ago with it turning off and on then Suddenly low battery and dies.*even with it hardwired or cig lighter*
Just a dash cam fault or battery issue?

if you've done the overnight charge and it's still having issues then it's faulty, talk to the seller about getting it replaced

G-Man beware! I received a 212G for Christmas 2018. By Dec 2019 the battery had failed. Luckily replaced under warranty. December 2020 battery failed again this time no warranty and estimated cost to replace battery £31.
Queried battery life when other examples i.e. mobile phones and digital cameras seem to have batteries that go on for years. Their reply astounded me and I have copied it from their email and posted below...

'0Battery replacement costs £31.20. As a consumable item, the battery does have a limited lifespan, depending on usage, and 12 months is around average for battery life.'

Caveat emptor

Time to start looking for a super capacitor dashcam ?

I did and I haven't looked back.

£31 a year is a bit much in my book, plus the inconvenience of being without it.

'0Battery replacement costs £31.20. As a consumable item, the battery does have a limited lifespan, depending on usage, and 12 months is around average for battery life.'

Caveat emptor
still can't understand why they keep selling cameras with batteries inside, unless it's planned obsolescence, they claim to sell 1.2 million dashcams a year

In the UK various car magazines and the trusted watchdog style magazine 'Which?' always have Nextbase at or towards the top of their tests. The problem is that their range of models they test is only small and they never feature Viofo for example.

As proved here they don't run them for enough time to assess reliability.

Off topic, same with car reviews, they have them for a few weeks, brand new, and probably manufacturer prepared.

Welcome to nextbase dash cam life with poor battery charge/hold life

In the UK various car magazines and the trusted watchdog style magazine 'Which?' always have Nextbase at or towards the top of their tests. The problem is that their range of models they test is only small and they never feature Viofo for example.

As proved here they don't run them for enough time to assess reliability.

Off topic, same with car reviews, they have them for a few weeks, brand new, and probably manufacturer prepared.
not familiar with that magazine but these days lots of 'reviews' are just press releases sent from manufacturers that get very little editing (even bigger problem with online reviews), they're always looking for content without having to work for it, advertisers seem to great reviews also

Almost nobody does long-term testing, but with every cam I test or review it sees about a year's use including enough hot summer weather to know how well it handles that before I set it aside providing that it has shown no major faults precluding normal usage. My workvan beats them to death, bakes them, and freezes them so if they go a year with me they're probably OK :cool: I've never had a Nextbase cam but I've followed the experiences of many good and knowledgeable people who have, and I relate what they've discovered as honestly as I can. I did test one battery-equipped cam which I noted began losing battery capacity in only about two months of summer here; after a year it seems to still have maybe half the battery capacity it did when new. And my cheap G1W clone has a battery which after over 2 years hard use finally seems to be dying (for $26 I ain't complaining :p). And I've heard from many others regards their cam's battery life and service.

From all this I think it safe to say that in cool climates a good battery cam should last 3+ years, about 2 years in a warm climate, and under two years in a hot climate. In extremely hot climates it's anyone guess how long the battery will last; it may go away in just a couple months. Supercaps solve that problem entirely which is why almost all the major dashcam manufacturers are now using them- and you should use them too ;)

Phil

Back