Nextbase 312gw battery issue

hauntedpenguin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone nuby here:),
I have the Nextbase 312GW installed in my Honda 1.8S. (hardwired by Halfords) I've probably had it over a year now but it keeps showing 'low battery warning'. I take the unit off it's mount overnight, and keep it in the glovebox.
I leave it in 'parking mode' when out and about.
Question,
1) should I return it to Nextbase for a replacement battery and what cost?
2) there are some batteries shown on Amazon and DIY videos on replacing them, should it be attempted?
3) just ignore the warning?
Thank you

What overall impact is the warning having/giving?

Hi,
No overall impact except when it switches on, blue banner on screen saying 'low battery'. Everything is ok driving.

Either 2 if you are confident about the repair, or 4 if you are not.

4) Replace the camera by a super capacitor based camera that does not have a battery.

The batteries in dashcams suffer from heat during the summer months and generally only last around 1 year, you may get 2 years if you don't spend much time parked in the sun, and being reasonably far north may give you an extra 6 months.

All the decent dashcam manufacturers, eg Viofo, Blueskysea, Street Guardian, etc. use super capacitors instead these days, Nextbase seem to make a lot of money by selling new cameras or refurbished cameras every 13 months. (just after the warranty has run out!) They get away with it because they don't sell many cameras to hot parts of the world so are fairly confident of reaching warranty expiry on enough cameras to make more money on re-sales than they lose on warranty.

If you ignore it then it may continue working for a while, but eventually the battery capacity will be insufficient to save your last recording containing your accident and you will lose the 1 most important video.

Thanks Nigel,
Interesting reply. I'm reasonably competent at repairs (replaced batts in watches, mobiles) might have a go at changing the battery. I have jewellers screwdrivers and plastic case openers.

I’d open it up to see if the battery may be expanding which might cause more damage?

Weird
I’d open it up to see if the battery may be expanding which might cause more damage?

Weird! I attached the power to the camera direct instead of the mount and the low battery warning has gone :oops:. Complete mystery. I only went a short journey, maybe not enough to charge it so I'll keep an eye on it. Ive got some long journeys over Xmas so I'll report back about if it's charging. The charging light alternates a sort of blue and red.

Back