Nextbase 322 thoughts

Rickn55

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Nextbase 622 4k + rwc, 522, 322, 612 4K and 312 x2
Recently got my new Nextbase 322 and just thought I'd share my experience of the camera.
First off unboxing, I think Nextbase are onto a winner with the new style boxes looks so much more modern than the old 12 series white and blue boxes a lot of thought gone into the designing, as usual with Nextbase products all the items inside the box were well packaged also love the new trim tool they pop in to help tuck the wires under the roof lining/door seals makes life that little bit easier :). Followed usual procedure and charged for 2 hours prior to use off a powerbank then set it up and downloaded the new My Nextbase app and started off by updating the firmware, the app notified my I was running 14.8 and updated me to 18.5 (don't ask me what changes there was as I haven't a clue but the Nextbase website only as 16. something update on so I assume the 18.5 is a really new update) which was fast and efficient, the My nextbase app works much better than the app for the old 12 series which imo didn't work great on those models the wifi kept timing out every 2 seconds and crashing but this new app works spot on fairplay.
Back to the Dashcam Lots of new features on it from the 312, I really like the new GPS receiver, it fits to the windscreen nicer imo and looks much more sleak, the touchscreen works like a dream also, nice and responsive to touches and fast to act up on them, it also records in 60FPS 1080p where the old 312 model used to do 1080p 30FPS. If you add one of the rear camera attachments I believe the resolution records at 1080p 30FPS and 780p for the rear camera, the emergency SOS is a nice feature also with the first year free and then £30 per year iirc from year two if you want to carry it on, also a massive fan of the GPS Speed limit display screensaver really like the blue colour looks better than the green on my 612, also the Nextbase logo that lights up under the screen while the cam is on adds a nice look to it also. The footage is very good imo for 1080p very happy with it (see links below for footage). I also purchased the rear view add on camera for £44.95 from iZilla on Amazon prime (iZilla are an approved Nextbase seller). That records in 720p on the 322, I believe the rear cam will record in 1440p on the higher range model 4/522, but the quality at 720p is very good you can clearly make out the number plates of cars behind and going past, it slots into the dashcam with ease and the lens moves so you just get the rear view up on your dashcam and adjust the angle of the lens to suit. Also the option to use it as a reversing camera is helpful, well worth buying as an add on imo it is very good. I'd recommend also using only an official Nextbase SD card for it or a Sandisk Extreme card as they have the fast writing speeds needed for the best recording and transferring speeds. Personally I think it is well worth the upgrade from the 312 in all aspects. The only negative if I'm being picky is removing the wire back out of the GPS receiver when you park up and remove it from your windscreen when you have big fingers like myself it's a bit fiddly and not as easy as the old 12 models but it's no biggy. Very happy with the products and quality of footage. If anyone else uses the rear add on camera be interesting to hear your views on it? Looking forward to when the 622 comes out to see what features that is packed with.
Right TFi Friday folks sorry for the essay I'll stop rambling on now I've probably bored you all to tears :)

Last edited:
fa267bcc0f1a71c94b0f8fc531f86822.jpg
c2e7dba7bb863ec79a4bbe1dec8f42ed.jpg
ee0ca07b76afdd22343da5971986be5f.jpg
2806d1d9b16ec4aa66a8bf630cb8c6eb.jpg
3e3741866a77e8a7d46ee94548f6f857.jpg
190cb939c03e73a63c5c3ca6ee2aea57.jpg
3e24913b3b53440f2dcacc36fd43b540.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Some more footage I've uploaded of my 322 filming in 1080p 60FPS with no rear cam attached..

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Do you mind if I use your footage to send to customers who ask about the 612GW/322GW or Rear View Camera? It's such great independent footage that it'd appreciate being able to us it.

Do you mind if I use your footage to send to customers who ask about the 612GW/322GW or Rear View Camera? It's such great independent footage that it'd appreciate being able to us it.
Of course I don't mind. What ever footage you would like to use feel free to. I'll get some night time footage up of the 322 as I've not managed to get any yet and will post that up for you as well so you have day and night footage of both devices to use :).

If you want the original files of the footage sending give me a shout and I can do that. As I know Youtube kills the initial quality of the footage on upload.

Here is some night footage from my 322 with the rear cam attachment on so it was recording in 1080p 30FPS. After having the polarising filter on my 612 I really feel the 322 could benefit from a filter also. I think that is next on my shopping list. But footage is very good at night I feel for 1080p.

Last edited:
I can't find the speedometer mph option on my 422gw? And that it's on the lower 322gw model? Mind you I haven't updated for a few months now so would it be added to the update or is this option on certain models?

I can't find the speedometer mph option on my 422gw? And that it's on the lower 322gw model? Mind you I haven't updated for a few months now so would it be added to the update or is this option on certain models?
The Speed display screen saver? What firmware are you running? The latest is 18.5 iirc.

As long as you have the speed set to MPH and you have the stamps turned on (in the Dash Cam's settings), you should have the speed on the playback footage.

I'd recommend updating to R18.5 as you should get a much improved experience.

The Screen Saver Speed Display can be turned on in the Settings if you only want the Dash Cam's screen to show your currents speed.

Hope this helps :)

Millie- Nextbase

The speeds are a great addition across all the range that have it.

I prefer the new blue colour on the series 2 models.

I prefer the new blue colour on the series 2 models.
+1. I prefer the blue to the green colour on the 612. Looks much more modern. I'm hoping Nextbase will do a firmware update for our 612s so we can maybe choose between colours for the speed display or maybe even just change it to blue. @NextBase Support Do you have any ideas if this is something that will happen in the future for the 612?

Attachments

• 62644.jpg
    62644.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 9
I'll suggest it to the Development Team to see whether it'd be a feasible addition :)

I'll suggest it to the Development Team to see whether it'd be a feasible addition :)

I suggested 4 colour options to Tiffany back in the early days... When I reviewed the 522GW I mentioned the colour change (2nd last paragraph). Would be cool if all the range had options.

I think it would be a big hit amongst us 612 owners if they do. :) Please keep us posted if it materialises. :)

I suggested 4 colour options to Tiffany back in the early days... When I reviewed the 522GW I mentioned the colour change (2nd last paragraph). Would be cool if all the range had options.
+1 all though I'd be happy with a change to just blue like on the 322 personally. Looks miles better than the green.

Recently updated my 422gw to the R18. 5 update so I could get the mph screen saver which I set up today. However on my last journey this did not activate after the allowed screen blank off time. The recording on the screen was still visible & was recording in 3 minute segments... Not sure what happened there...

Did you reset the cam after the update?

You probably did do this but when you clicked on screensaver did you press the right button so it went from "on" to "Speed Display" as I made this mistake when I first got my 322?
197258394c728a7e05543f02b53e9342.jpg

Back