Nextbase 380GW Discrete

I see on the Halfords website that they have jumped onto the dashcam bandwagon now and have released a couple of mid range dashcams...one being similar to the 380gw. Only downside is that they only accept upto 32gb sd cards :LOL:

So maybe not happy selling Nextbase they produce their own ?

1440 on a 32Gb isn't going to record much. Wonder who the manufacturer is. A clue is usually the sucker mount which I don't recognise.

I’m not sure who their manufacturer is, but the model which is similar to the 380gwcappears to have a magnetic mount that looks very much like the nextbase gw range... yeah 32gb on a dashcam that records upto 1440p isn’t very good. There highest spec’d Camera rrp £199 can accept 125gb cards but I think I read that it can accept x2 sd cards giving you upto 250gb

It's along the same idea but is totally different when I compare it to mine. The 380 is better in a few areas, capacitor being 1. I doubt whether Nextbase have manufactured this.

Talking of which where is Tiffany, AWOL since the 2nd.

Either hols or we forgot to send her an Easter egg.

So what's the advantage of a capacitor K?

There is no battery to degrade or go flat.

The word on the street from other dashcam posts is that capacitors are the way to go.

How long do they last after disconnecting the power then?

Then why not use a battery?
The capacitor in my Blackview lasts a lot longer than that.

You can purchase a battery separately if you like to go into the back of the 380GW, all of our other modes use batteries this is the only one with a capacitor.

Ah, I see. Another money making scheme? Buy a new battery when all your others come with one fitted.:rolleyes:

For me the capacitor is fine. It finishes and closes the last file being recorded so it's AOK. I've seen posts here where a dead battery means that when it loses 'main' power it doesn't save the current/last file in progress.

The battery would only be required for parking mode I guess.

Capacitors instead of batteries is a good thing
No, batteries are better than capacitors? This reply uses the principles laid out in your signature.:D

Please will you explain and substantiate your reason for saying that capacitors are better than batteries.
I would rather have a battery that lasts a while, rather than a capacitor that lasts seconds.
I take on board that the battery will fail at some stage, but when it does, you are are no worse off than having a capacitor.
You do realise that capacitors fail sometimes albeit that it will ave a much higher MTBF than a battery.

Capacitors better than battery? Urban myth.

No, batteries are better than capacitors? This reply uses the principles laid out in your signature.:D

Capacitors better than battery? Urban myth.

I'll let you do some research first and then you can tell me why batteries are better ;)

@M8TJT it's quite the opposite, this camera is currently being marketed to and for commercial fleets - the drivers of said vehicles usually won't have any input/use/maintenance on this model.

Customers have told us in the past and it is frequently written about to the wider Dash Cam community on here that some would prefer a Dash Cam with a capacitor for many reasons.

Now we have a model where this is a choice customers can make.

Have a read through this forum, there are benefits to both: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/forums/batteries-and-capacitors.87/

Thank you Tiffany. I'll have a browse later.
I am not convinced about the pros and cons on B vs C, and mainly my response was to jokiin in accordance with his signature which says
Cunningham's Law: The best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question, it's to post the wrong answer
. :devilish:I was hoping for something that justified his statement that capacitors are better than batteries. He obviously didn't want to substantiate that claim, which I assume that he could have done with ease. Now I suppose I will have to accept his pointer to RTFM and look for the wisdom of the web.:cry:

. Now I suppose I will have to accept his pointer to RTFM and look for the wisdom of the web.:cry:

you won't have to go far, the pros and cons have been discussed many times over on the forums here, the info is readily available

Back