NEXTBASE 380GW

Ray0144

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My first dash cam. Bought after we were run off the road by a van that didn't stop. Wanted something very discreet, not hanging on a stalk. Having several issues. Poor quality playback on 1080p 30fps, oncoming number plates are blurred. Slightly better on 720p 60fps. Very pixelated on any setting. Lot of screen reflections.Very inconsistent connections on wi-fi, or the app. Sometimes does not start recording when ignition turned on. Have updated firmware but still having problems. Had high hopes but feeling very disappointed with results. Anybody had similar, or maybe I have a duff one ?? I want to try the night vision before I give up on it and return it.

I never had any issue with it firing up when it got ignition power. Being capacitor it does need a good solid connection.

It does fire up but the three bongs that indicate start of recording sometimes don't bong until a few minutes have passed.

What I did was to wire mine into the circuit that only becomes active under ignition position 2.

Firing the starter motor often kills power to circuits under ignition position 1 so the dashcam gets a make/break/make and it therefore powers up, then loses power, then gets power again confusing it.

Stop/Start often causes a similar effect.

I have to admit that 1080@30 with no CPL is a disadvantage. This isn't a dashcam for fine detail but one aimed at the commercial sector who just want an overall picture of events.

In it's favour it's so easy to mount one handed and doesn't need any post adjustment as nothing has moved.

Makes sense. I didn't want to hardwired until I have sorted the probs.....if I can.
I will try plugging in after engine is started to see if it makes any difference.
Playback is a bit juddery too
Thanks for your help, btw

Tried last night from dusk to darkness and general picture quality is very poor. Number plates of oncoming traffic, even at crawling speed, are completely blurred and unreadable. I do really like the mount, though as you commented.
Have ordered a Garmin 56 so I can compare and can also get a polarising lens for that one. Watch this space !!!

I've been looking through my saved files and number plates aren't the best.

This example I was doing 37mph on a 40 road so closing speed looks like about 80 :

johqgeG.jpg

Closing speed ~60mph:

tU8wGkl.jpg

Last edited:
Tried last night from dusk to darkness and general picture quality is very poor. Number plates of oncoming traffic, even at crawling speed, are completely blurred and unreadable. I do really like the mount, though as you commented.
Have ordered a Garmin 56 so I can compare and can also get a polarising lens for that one. Watch this space !!!

Could you send us in a file for us to take a look and help diagnose a little better?

It will be too large to send through an email so please use the service that www.wetransfer.com offer, you can send up to 2Gb to us free of charge.

Use our support@nextbase.co.uk as the recipient and please write in the message box to allow us to understand why you are sending the file in.

Back