Nextbase 402g battery replacement/ ls430

I have a nextbase 402g which is now 20 months old and the battery failed to charge,i telephoned nextbase on Monday 5th june and explained the problem to which they replied that i send them a copy of the receipt and my details and to send the cam up to them which i did on tuesday 6th, they told me as an act of goodwill they would fit a new battery to it and also include a spare battery which was free of charge as well.I received the 402g and spare battery back on Thursday 8th June which i consider to be excellent all round service on behalf of Next Base considering the cam was 8 months out of warranty.

the CS when you speak to the right person is great however buying a cam with a battery is limiting its lifespan. The battery will eventually go hence why the cameras 402g is worth around 30 - 40£ refurb because the battery is a killer. i must have replaced over 10 nextbase camera batteries and it just baffles me how a camera for that price can come with them instead of caps

Hi. I had the same issue with the battery not holding charge, so contacted Nextbase via their web site. Explained the problem and 2 days later a replacement battery arrived, free of charge. Very easy to replace using the on line instructions, so am pleased with their customer service. The 402 was out of warranty.
I own a 402g also with a duff battery however it's around 12 months out of warranty and I don't have the receipt for it no more... would they send a replacement battery to myself free of charge?

I own a 402g also with a duff battery however it's around 12 months out of warranty and I don't have the receipt for it no more... would they send a replacement battery to myself free of charge?

Good Morning @Tony lovelock,

What I would initial advise is charging it for 2 hours inside your home, if you still get no life after this when the power is removed please get in touch with us.

Phone: 02920 866 429
Email: support@nextbase.co.uk

Please reference me and this thread when you do.

Thanks

I've had it on charge for more than 2 hours and when I unplug it and go to turn on...nothing. when I use in the car the dash cam turns on says it's recording files but when reviewing back clips here's nothing recorded.

I'm guessing you bought this from Halfords over a year ago, so the Warranty has expired?

It's tolerable if the battery of a £30 G1W fails after a year or so. It's not acceptable when the battery fails in a £130 Nextbase 402, & the critical final clip being recorded when external power is cut isn't saved.

Under UK Law, your rights don't end when the 1 Year Warranty expires...

http://blog.moneysavingexpert.com/2013/10/22/how-long-do-you-have-to-take-faulty-goods-back/

I think you're entitled to expect your DashCam to function for at least a couple of years. Exercise your rights.

Also, make a mental note to buy a capacitor-based dashcam next time...

So basically we have been sold a pup, knowingly, 'cos Nextbase were aware of this problem way back before I bought mine in March 2016. So if the last file is corrupted and useless and you have an accident, the dashcam is not fit for purpose and should be replaced. However, all I can see are posts telling about free batteries so you can then dismantle the device and solder the new battery into the circuit board. My soldering iron has a tip which is a lump of copper 2" long and 1/2" square and heated on the gas ring so perhaps not the best of tools for this job.

Just today I noticed that the time on my files is an hour out but when I tried to enter the Daylight Saving Zone details the battery gave up the ghost despite just being used in the car for over an hour.

My question is, can I expect my problem to develop into the corrupt file situation if the battery gets any worse and did the nonsense switching on and off suddenly occurr out of the blue?

In addition, I'm going to write to the Amazon seller and see what they say. I suspect they will have had experience of this problem.

So basically we have been sold a pup, knowingly, 'cos Nextbase were aware of this problem way back before I bought mine in March 2016..
I had one about a year before you bought yours. As many others have found, the battery didn't last long - only a few months. When I returned the cam to the high street store where I bought it, I was offered a repair, with the cam being sent back to Nextbase and I'd be without a cam for what I assumed could be some weeks.
I didn't accept the repair - I made a bit of a fuss - and was given a refund.
I didn't want a repair because even way back then there were enough people around who were muttering about premature battery failure, possibly due to poor design. Some people were claiming that their cam required two replacement batteries in less than a year. I figured a repair would come back and bite me when the replacement battery failed.
If I spend £100+ on a cam, I expect at it to last several years.
I used the refund money to buy a Panorama II S (capacitor) from @niko and the cam has been flawless in the two years I've had it.

Hi @2000rpm

It would be unusual for a repair to last weeks, usual turn around from door to door is 4-7 days (depending on whether a weekend is included or not). I'm sorry it seemed that way when you was in store!

I would urge you to check out our new range, they have had a complete redesign and are performing spectacularly.

....I would urge you to check out our new range, they have had a complete redesign and are performing spectacularly....

Unfortunately all your cams now have a powered mount which is something I'm sceptical of due to the risk of vibration from the very rough and potholed roads causing disconnections and unwanted shutdowns.
Also with the NB402G that I had, I was able to source a couple of generic mounts from China which gave a neater installation than the mount it came with. However, the powered mounts on current models are unique to Nextbase and don't offer me any flexibility in mounting the cam.
My current car - and my previous two - have/had large sensor housings on the top centre of the windscreen rather than just the stalk for the mirror, therefore require some improvisation to fit a dashcam and that's where a variety of generic mount options was very useful.

You're correct, I'll explain the decision to go this route;

With most of our cameras now having Wi-Fi the ability to quickly remove the camera and not put excessive wear on the DC-in port on the camera is helped by having the power directly into the mount,
We have found the opposite is true - I haven't heard of this being an issue now the solid magnetic mount is in use especially as the life of the unit increases,
I agree with you, my car also has the large block behind the rear view mirror for this we have a sticky mount, this is a far shorter mount which allows you to fit the unit further down the windscreen.

If you like I can take some pictures of what I mean for you to see.

I'm guessing you bought this from Halfords over a year ago, so the Warranty has expired?

It's tolerable if the battery of a £30 G1W fails after a year or so. It's not acceptable when the battery fails in a £130 Nextbase 402, & the critical final clip being recorded when external power is cut isn't saved.

Under UK Law, your rights don't end when the 1 Year Warranty expires...

http://blog.moneysavingexpert.com/2013/10/22/how-long-do-you-have-to-take-faulty-goods-back/

I think you're entitled to expect your DashCam to function for at least a couple of years. Exercise your rights.

Also, make a mental note to buy a capacitor-based dashcam next time...
Yes, The capacitor dash cam is especially designed for intensive and long-term use. The most important is that it is one of the few cameras that can withstand extreme climates and temperatures. You will be stunned by it is quality and easy way of use. Our company has launched the latest capacitor, pls contcat me for more information. We are Novatek Dash Cam Strategy Partner.

I know this thread is a bit old but:
I've just joined the forum and seem to be in the same boat with a battery that says it's low after about 30-40 seconds from the power (ignition) being turned off, shutting down shortly after. My 402G is about 2 years old but gets little use as it's fitted on our motorhome, which averages about 4K miles a year, max.
Where can I obtain a battery? I have available (through my son, electronics engineer) the wherewithall to replace the battery but before I pull it to pieces, I'd lke to know what I might be letting myself in for.
Willum ;)
ps I'm having a few problems, so there will be lots more questions, I'm afraid :rolleyes:

@Willum please call us on 02920 866 429 or email us support@nextbase.co.uk

We can answer any questions you have.
Good Morning Tiffany.
Having done a bit more research on the Forum and You Tube, I decided to obtain a new battery and see how long it lasted. I also decided to update the Firmware and see if I could then delete the old locked files.
I downloaded the Firmware (R09) and followed the instructions - to the letter - and it restarted and returned to the 'Language' screen but will go no further. It doesn't matter what I try.
Yesterday I rang the number you have given above. After a bit of instruction and investigation I was told it has to be returned to Nextbase and it may even need to be a replacement unit, from memory up to a cost of about £40.
The camera was claimed to be a good quality, reliable unit, cost me £130 and has had very little use and is only in the sun whilst our motorhome is being driven.
For about twice the amount of the repair I can buy a well regarded alternative which will not fry its battery within a very short time.
Thank you for the offer to answer questions but I've already been there.
Sorry, but I am not particularly inclined to throw good money after bad.
Willum

NOt very pretty but gives about 3 hours battery life IMG_2684.JPG

Nice one. I like the functionality of it and it very much appeals to the recycler in me. Pretty is not important.
Sadly mine won't even start after its digital meltdown during the software update.:sick:
If anyone knows how to get it reset without having to send it back to Nextbase, I'd love to know.
I could use it to monitor the house martin's nest next year................ :p
Willum

Firmware (R09) has a bug, settings are not saved until you press the power down button. Pulling the power, instead of shutting down nicely, causes it to get stuck in the 'Language' menu as reported above.
After 2 years on the replacement battery (supplied by Nextbase) mine no longer holds charge again.

Back