Nextbase 402G + Carry Case + 8GB microSD £119.98 in Costco UK

reverend

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Too many
I spotted a stack of these for sale in Costco at the weekend.

They're older technology now but a lot of people are happy with them so if you were in the market for one of these and have a Costco membership and want to buy one from a shop you can pick them up for £99.99 if you claim the VAT back which for the camera, case and microSD is a cheap price compared to the likes of Halfords.

It looks like they're throwing in a Sandisk Ultra 8GB card.

IMG_0316.JPG

I know these can have focus issues in the heat though - it seems to be hit and miss whether they're affected.

Seems a good buy considering that in Halfords they are retailing at about £140

Another plus point is the no quibble CostCo warranty - any issues and they'll either replace it if they have stock or refund it.

I wouldn't be surprised to see these packages ending up elsewhere and being sold for a profit.

There do seem to be a couple of these with batteries failing at around the 1 year mark so a good warranty definitely helps - although if you're good with a soldering iron they can be replaced.

I've actually got two of those MG380s mate and it appears that the first one has died after 9 months use - I need to do some more digging as the folks reported it as just totally dead and not responding to input so I need to work out if it's the camera or Lukas hardwire kit with the issue.

Dont you need to be a business or have some card to shop there ?.... got one locally and would be great if I could shop there
To be honest they're opening the rules right up at the moment - if you have your own business you can get a trade membership otherwise they'll let you join if you work in one of so many trades.

http://warehouses.costco.co.uk/membership/#lightbox-indiv

They've been doing open days where they seemed to be letting anyone in near us!

I've actually got two of those MG380s mate...

I lose track of all the cameras you've owned. Don't recall you posting about your experience with them. Do you use the 11Mbps firmware?

That's all they have mate - I got them in just before the X2 arrived as I was thinking about doing a dual channel set up with them. I've got to admit I'm a big fan of that wide lens view they have.

One is in the folks car and the other is still sat in the box here and hasn't been turned on yet - was supposed to be giving it to someone as a birthday present but forgot all about it :D

For now it's insurance in case the one in the folks car is goosed.

Functionality wise it's very similar to the Panorama but lower bitrate, not tuned as well as the SG firmwares and doesn't have the MPH option in the firmware. They did have a bug with filenames in the early versions but I think that's fixed now. Parking mode works exactly like the RC you have though. Can't really argue at the price and I'd personally rather have the MG380G than any of the DOD cameras for sure.

I'll be checking out the folks one at some point during the week so I'll report back on what the problem was - part of me wonders if they're not doing enough driving to get the voltage up above the cut off but I need to do some digging - it could even be a dead SD card.

Last edited:
They are back in Costco again. Same package, same price. I got one today and used it most of the afternoon and evening. Battery won't hold charge even for a second, so last recording does not save when stopping the car, settings lost, and some recordings revert to a datestamp of 31/12/1999 at random and a number are unplayable (corrupt). Sometimes it does not power up when the car is started and has to be powered up manually. It also shut itself down a couple of times while driving. Serial number was before the critical 1525xxxxx so it must be old stock being rotated. It's going back for a refund tomorrow. Is there actually a decent quality dashcam out there in this price bracket?

They are back in Costco again. Same package, same price.............Is there actually a decent quality dashcam out there in this price bracket?

Yes, see this topic:
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/transcend-v-nextbase.18463/

.... Serial number was before the critical 1525xxxxx....

How can we be sure that post-1525xxxx cams will prove to be less troublesome than pre-1525xxx just because the sales-pitch experts at NB/DOD say it's now improved?

Back