NextBase 402G Firmware Upgrade (R05)

scarymonkey

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Transcend DP200 and NextBase 402G
As I believe the NextBase 402G is a DOD LS430w in NextBase screenprint clothing I thought this may be the best forum to post this.

Whilst checking NextBase's website I noticed that there is a new firmware for the 402G taking it to release R05) with an embedded string of 402-201411050-R05 (I suspect this is a build date of 5th November 2014). There are no release notes for this upgrade so at present I can't say what changes are present. In the firmware I can see nothing immediately obvious though.
Over the next few days I will get some sample videos and compare them to those I have previously taken to see if there is a difference in video quality.

Hi there,

Any updates to this?

I got a 402G for christmas and it has R03 on it, not sure if I tempted fate but hit a dear this morning, a few seconds before the current 5 min recording finished and it then failed to record the next 5 mins but started again after that.

Hoping this is something thats fixed in the new firmware, will be phoning nextbase tech support tomorrow (closed today)

hi Jokiin

I've looked in all folders and nothing

Also the naming system used suggests the file was not saved, the file name is the time and a file number for that day

e.g.
06580001 for the first file of the day saved at 06:58

The two files either side of the accident are 07080013 and 07180014 so it missed out the file at 0713 and went straight from 13 to 14 on the counter

Nope, motion detection is off so it should (and normally does) record continuously, also even if it was on it should have recorded as there was plenty of motion as I came to a rapid stop!

Did the camera lose power or anything?

I've had the same problem with DOD cameras in the past and it was usually a filesystem corruption problem - it might be worth trying running chkdsk against the card to see if it finds any lost chains - odds are it won't be playable either way as new data has been written to the card but that's usually the cause of this one.

If you run the chkdsk it will tell you if there are any problems and if so it will usually recover parts of files to FOUND.000 - you can then rename to say .MOV and then run it through the file recovery part of Registrator Viewer (File Menu - Repair broken file) to see if it can recover anything useful.

I've run check disk which found no problems

I believe its a firmware problem given the naming of the files and I'll phone nextbase to check once they re-open after new years.

I'm going to run recuva on the memory card as well to look for overwritten and corrupt files just in case.

Edit to add:

I've run recuva, found all the files that have been overwritten in the last 4 days but nothing about any files from this morning.

Last edited:
So I spoke with their technical support today, they don't know what caused my problem and they haven't heard of it happening before. While on the phone I did ask about the R05 update though and was told it wasn't anything major. Mostly support for additional languages and a couple of other minor things. One was that if you press the menu button while recording it will bring up a message telling you that you have to stop recording to access the menu (apparently a lot of people couldn't figure this out and thought the button was broken)

He also recommended sticking to the default 3 mins recording time as its more efficient with storage and processing power. Also said it starts recording the next video 1 second before the next one starts which I didn't realise but I think is very good.

There were some other things but nothing that actually makes a difference to the functionality from the sounds of it, more ease of use.

I've never seen the problems you had but thankfully I haven't had the same experience either.
I do tend to agree that there aren't many changes in this firmware - I did notice the menu button message though. There aren't many other changes that are immediately obvious.

As I believe the NextBase 402G is a DOD LS430w in NextBase screenprint clothing I thought this may be the best forum to post this.

Whilst checking NextBase's website I noticed that there is a new firmware for the 402G taking it to release R05) with an embedded string of 402-201411050-R05 (I suspect this is a build date of 5th November 2014). There are no release notes for this upgrade so at present I can't say what changes are present. In the firmware I can see nothing immediately obvious though.
Over the next few days I will get some sample videos and compare them to those I have previously taken to see if there is a difference in video quality.

R04 Software update:-

R04:

1.Motion Detection off ,Press "Menu" when recording , red message pop-up
2.Motion Detection on ,Press "Menu" when recording , red&blue message pop-up

English = Stop recording to access Menu - Cover lens to stop Motion Detection
French = Arreter l'enregistrement pour l'acces aux Menus - Couvrir l'objectif d'arreter la Detection de Mouvement
German = Aufnahme stoppen, um das Menü zuzugreifen - Lichtscheibe für die Bewegungserkennungs stoppen
Spanish = Detener la grabación para acceder al Menú - Tapa del objetivo para detener la Detección de Movimiento
Italian = Interrompere la registrazione per accedere al Menu - Lente Coperchio per fermare Motion Detection
Dutch = Stop opnemen om Menu te openen - Bedek de lens om Beweging Detectie te stoppen
Swedish = Stoppa inspelningen för att gå in I Menyn - Täck för linsen för att stoppa Rörelse Detektionen

R05:

R05:-
"Memory error" change to "SD Card Error" within the OSD string table. All languages.

Well I know this is a old thread and mine is a 402g on firmware R08, BUT I had EXACTLY the same happen to mine a few days ago, It recorded the whole 2 hours before no problems in the 3 min sections as it should, then I had someone hit my door so just left it running ON CAR POWER and when reviewed it failed to record that 3 min section and the next couple of sections after, it was only when the unit was restarted it functioned correctly, run file recovery, nothing, it had not attempted to record anything to the SD card, The only thing different was the rapid stop after and the ABS braking kicked in so perhaps the G sensor overloaded the firmware or something so it crashed being able to record. Nextbase was not interested, Karen the customer manager said Graham the designer would be keen to talk to me, well he doesn't seem to be so they are not interested, its not the SD card as its a genuine sandisk 32gb bought from a approved supplier and has recorded every file in the past just fine. very annoying you buy this unit in case something happens and when it does it fails to record, what a product!

IMG_8703.JPG

EVERY FILE except 8:40, 8:43 8:46

Factory settings except G sensor turned off as was fed up of it automatically marking files which it would then never delete and just leave clogging up the SD space

Last edited:
Back