Nextbase 412gw - 128GB Micro SDXC cards?

Paul Brookfield

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

My brother has bought one of these and he has (I think) a 16GB micro SD card in it, or something like that.

I would like to buy him a far larger micro SDXC card to fit in it. Will the card accept cards above 32GB?

Many thanks in advance.

Paul

Hello,

Our dash Cameras normally takes up to a maximum size of 32GB, However a recent update made it so the camera can take up to 128GB cards. However the card needs to be a good manufacture here is a recommend card we have tested our cameras with.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B013UDL5HU
Here is the link to the latest update:https://www.nextbase.co.uk/wp-conte...re-Release-R9.5-inc.-upgrade-instructions.zip

Thanks Nextbase UK
Really? You recommend SanDisk Ultra cards for your cameras? That is a card that every other manufacturer says to avoid.

Really? You recommend SanDisk Ultra cards for your cameras? That is a card that every other manufacturer says to avoid.

We haven't found any issues with the testing we have completed, the SanDisk High Endurance range are also good.

that particular series seems ok, the red and grey ones are the really problematic ones
Do the 128GB Ultra cards have a different controller? Didn't realize there was a difference between the 32/64GB Ultra cards and the 128GB Ultra cards other than their size (and color).

Do the 128GB Ultra cards have a different controller? Didn't realize there was a difference between the 32/64GB Ultra cards and the 128GB Ultra cards other than their size (and color).

the red and grey cards are the particular ones to avoid, Sandisk don't give out any details about their controller chipset so very hard to know but in testing these newer red print on black versions have been fine, things can change though at any time, look at the amount of issues recently with Lexar cards, they were rarely ever a problem previously, they've changed something

I'm using a sandisk 64gb ultra sd xc class 10 (grey) sd card inside my nextbase 412GW for around a month now and it has record flawlessly! However I formatted it from exfat to fat32 via the möbius action cam MSETUP programme. So I'm assuming if you get a 128gb sd card you may be worthwhile formatting it to fat32 to avoid any issues!

that particular series seems ok, the red and grey ones are the really problematic ones

I had one of the red and grey ones,16gb. It was OK for about 10months then went blank. I thought it had just fried due to the constant exposure to sunlight. Do you know if that is a factor? Are the ones you recommended more resistant? It's a lot of money to shell out if needing replaced all the time.

I had one of the red and grey ones,16gb. It was OK for about 10months then went blank. I thought it had just fried due to the constant exposure to sunlight. Do you know if that is a factor? Are the ones you recommended more resistant? It's a lot of money to shell out if needing replaced all the time.

the smaller the card the more often it will be overwritten and the faster it will wear out, they do wear out

Necroposting (please forgive)

I found out the following when I purchased my 412 last Christmas. How many of us actually read the warranty information?

The warranty on Sandisk Ultra cards specifically excludes dashcam use (see below)

We haven't found any issues with the testing we have completed, the SanDisk High Endurance range are also good.

The packaging on the SanDisk High Endurance specifically mentions "for dashcams and home security use" - see HE CArd.jpg

the red and grey cards are the particular ones to avoid, Sandisk don't give out any details about their controller chipset so very hard to know but in testing these newer red print on black versions have been fine, things can change though at any time, look at the amount of issues recently with Lexar cards, they were rarely ever a problem previously, they've changed something

If you look at the warranty information (only available after you have opened the packaging and not available to view on the SanDisk website), should the card fail, dashcam use is specifically excluded from the warranty. It says something like not to be used for security cameras or dashcams (presumably as the card is continually being written to).

The cards are a couple of pounds more than the Ultra cards. Seems good to have that extra piece of mind that the card is unlikely to fail when used in a dashcam or with a security camera. After all, you don't want to be involved in an incident to see if the camera/card recorded it!

Last edited:
Further to my above post, found this on SanDisk's website (typed in 'Warranty' in the search box!)

SanDisk Warranty.jpg

Art

More than 90% of the cards on the market wouldn't be warranted for use in dashcams, doesn't mean they're not suitable, for sure there are some models that I wouldn't use in a dashcam though

My 412 worked perfectly with my Sammy 128Gb as my 380 continues to do.

Bought from Scan to make sure it's genuine:

eFefBnM.jpg

More than 90% of the cards on the market wouldn't be warranted for use in dashcams, doesn't mean they're not suitable, for sure there are some models that I wouldn't use in a dashcam though

The warranty (for the SanDisk Ultra cards for example) specifically excludes their use in dashcams and home security installations (where the card is being constantly written to).

The card may indeed work, and work fine for a period - be that days, weeks, months or years - but the fact that the manufacturer of the card will not guarantee it for use in dashcams suggests that they expect the card to fail at some point (I'm guessing sooner rather than later). As such, you use a card like the SanDisk Ultra at your own risk.

Please understand that I don't have any particular axe to grind here and I am not against SanDisk Ultra cards at all (except for this particular application) it is just that I have particular experience of this particular card for this particular application. Despite specifically marketing the High Endurance cards as suitable for Home Security and Dashcam use it doesn't mean that the card will work faultlessly. In any event, be it a high-endurance card or not, you are using the card (and dashcam) with the assumption (hope?) that should you have the need to recover the video off the card, you will be able to do so without problem, however nothing in life is absolutely guaranteed in this way (and ultimately can't be absolutely guaranteed because of quantum physics and uncertainty). Failures, be they one in a thousand, one in a million or one in a billion will occur, you just have to hope that you aren't the unlucky person that the failure happens to. Like the lottery, the odds may be one in fourteen million, but folks do win the lottery (sadly, just not me).

Anyhow, I offered this information to the forum as a result of what I uncovered when I bought my dashcams. Whether you agree or not, that is your choice as is the choice to use the high-endurance cards or not. In my case, for an extra degree of 'confidence' (for want of a better word), I chose to use the high-endurance cards.

Art

Yep , as soon as I found out a purchased Carphone Warehouse Samsung Evo Plus was warranty void I returned it as not fit for purpose .

You have to dig for that info on the Samsung website , not even in the small print on packaging !

I got a Amazon price matched by Curry's for a High Endurance SanDisk .

Yep , as soon as I found out a purchased Carphone Warehouse Samsung Evo Plus was warranty void I returned it as not fit for purpose .

You have to dig for that info on the Samsung website , not even in the small print on packaging !

I got a Amazon price matched by Curry's for a High Endurance SanDisk .

Agreed. At least the SanDisk High Endurance card specifically states on the front of the packaging that it is suitable for dashcams and home security equipment. Manufacturers really ought to state (maybe by a table on the back) that it isn't suitable for specific uses - rather than relying on customers reading the small print (sometimes only available inside the opened package!)

It was only when I looked at the warranty card inside the Ultra pack that I noticed it specifically excluded dashcam use, so like you got a high endurance card.

Hopefully this info will help some folks avoid an expensive mistake.

Art

Hmm...

All that article seems to look at is capacity of the cards and their read and write transfer speeds. It also mentions 4K UHD video and such "must-have" features for dashcam use as resistance to salt water, x-ray scanners at airports and magnetic fields, photo and video editing and use with smartphones and tablets. Hardly focused on "the best microSD cards for your dashcam" as the article purports to be!

Anyway, at least my earlier post has got some folks looking at the small print contained in the warranty information of their microSD cards and if that helps, it is all to the good.

I'll stick with what the manufacturer of the card puts on the packaging and warranty, not what a retailer says in a blog post.

Of course, YMMV. No offence intended.

Regards

Art

Last edited:
Back