Nextbase 512GW & 512GWR

Drew1951

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a nextbase 512gw front and 512gwr rear camera and randomly I have 2 issues.
1 - When powering up I am asked to select one of three camera modes - normally I select front and rear left view.
2 - When powering up I only see the front camera view.

These do not happen every time I switch on (and not at the same time) but it is annoying to have to get the dual view I want.
Nextbase have helped and have sent me a new rear cable which I have just fitted temporarily (don't want hassle of running cable inside trim yet) and have still to try this but am currently self isolating.
I am running the current software version and front battery performance is good (at least 30 mins from fully charged to flat)

Has anyone experienced this problem and if so have you a remedy?

My 512GW doesn't show my 512 rear cam any more. The rear cam is a month and a half out of warranty but surely they should last longer than this. I have phoned Nextbase Tech support for advice but all the guy would say to me is that they can't send anything in the post at the moment. He didn't tell me to ring back another time or take any details from me. He said that it could be the cable, or the rear camera!

I would send a message to their support team ( support@nextbase.co.uk) explaining that you have already phoned them and this will generate a support number which can be followed up once the covid crisis is over.
I have found them to be very good as they have already sent me a free replacement cable to try (it made no difference) and they then said they would help further once they are back at work. Whether this means they will send me a replacement camera I am not sure but going by previous help then that is what I would think will happen. However I think it will be up to me to progress this as their last reply did not say they would get back to me when back to normal.
Good luck with your problem.

Thanks for your reply and if the guy I'd spoken to had said that, I'd been less inclined to post on here.

I'd like to think that the cable would sort it out but, like you, probably not. As for a replacement camera, this model has been discontinued and as far as I have read in different places, the later one is not compatible with the 512GW front facing!

I will take your advice on board and e.mail them, thanks.

You are correct, the latest rear camera is not compatible and there are no other makes that are. However Nextbase have a stock of refurbished rear 512RGW cameras so they may offer you one of those. That is what I will be progressing once lockdown is over.
God luck.

My front 512GW was new the end of last year. The 512RGW was from a previous car, a few years old. I damaged the cable inlet when moving cars and Nextbase offered me a replacement for £25 in February this year. Not sure if it was new/reconditioned, but it works OK apart from the annoying start up problem which I am currently in discussion with Nextbase support, and a lot cheaper than the approx £45 being charged normally by them and certainly much cheaper than replacements seen on Ebay.

Had this from Nextbase and to be fair, it is a quick response "Could you check that there's no splits or kinks in the cable to the rear and that the ports do not feel loose?".

Will be checking tomorrow but don't know why this would have happened because the cable's not moved. Will report back when there are further developments.

Back