Nextbase 512GW and 412GW questions

Bascule

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All.

I have a 512GW mounted at the front and a 412GW at the rear. I do have some questions though!

1st, I made the mistake of giving them both a switched live using the nextbase hardwiring kits.. (can't stand trailing cables!) That works great, but I really want to use the intelligent parking mode, as I live in a 'not so wonderful' area, and wanted that to be automatic - the battery life isn't up to that on either camera for an overnight. I've switched the rear one to a permanent 12v today, and will do that for the 512gw tomorrow. So - am I correct? permanent 12v will power both cams for all driving and allow intelligent parking mode to run? The battery life doesn't seem amazing - the 512 is brand new, and the 412 about 3 months old.. that never improves, so I'm happy to eliminate the issue.

2nd, on the 412 I can switch off the nextbase logo but cant seem to do it on the 512. Is that normal? Nothing against Nextbase, just don't want the logo all over my videos.

3rd, on the 512 it's creating two versions of every file. I don't need the smaller one, will never use the WiFi/mobile features, so would like to turn that off to save space - but can't see how to do it.. Have I missed something?

4th - what is the native resolution of the sensors on these? is it actually 1440, or is that generated via software? I haven't experimented yet, but is the 1080 at 60fps a better quality file? 1080 is certainly hi enough detail, I'd like the video to be as smooth as possible though!

Grateful for any responses...

Thanks!

Ben

Not sure about the turning the nextbase logo off on the 512gw but I've got the 412gw and this option is available like you say.

When ever I plug my 412gw upto my laptop and I look in the dcim folder I've only got single videos to play and mine are on 1080p 60 fps

If you can get even a few mins of battery run you are doing well, afaik the 512 is the same all nextbase I have known/seen suffer from bad batteries being over cooked from the charging circuit, I have 5 FIVE nextbase in the drawer at home as refuse to use them due to persistent issues with every one, parking mode is interesting as I seem to remember the wire kit is only live and earth ?, if so they will need to be permanently powered due to insuffecient battery capacity, which will further reduce the life expectancy and run time of the battery/s in the event of a bad crash losing power to cams and the internal battery not having enough run time to shut down correctly the last file will be lost, the one with the crash on it, use at your peril is my opinion based on collectively over 15 years experience of this brand

Hi @Bascule ,

The 412GW and 512GW both have parking mode; when activated in the menu parking mode utilises the G-Sensor inside the unit and when an impact is detected on the left/right or forward/backwards axis it will turn on and record for 2 minutes drawing power from its internal battery (which is 30 minutes when new) This will then give you 15 bumps which is ample.
In order to utilise paring mode the unit needs to be connected to an ignition live fuse (one that turn on and off as you start/stop your car).
If connected to a permanently live fuse the camera will never switch off, it will continue to record all of the time.

This is correct for the Nextbase Logo, we have decided upon this for the 512GW I am so sorry if its causing an inconvenience to you and the reviewing of your footage. I have passed on your feedback to the relevant department for consideration in future firmware versions.

The smaller file on the 512GW is for Wi-Fi only and you won't be able to view the Lo resolution on the computer, we are going to include an option to turn this off as some customers don't use Wi-Fi at all. Please bare with us whilst we create this, the firmware will be available in the near future.

The recording is actually 1440p, you're correct in what you say though the 1080p at 60fps will give you a much smoother image and the vehicles are travelling less between each frame.

I recommend trailing both and then selecting the best one for your driving style. The higher speeds you drive the more frames per second you want generally.

I hope you have found this useful, if not just let me know and I'm more than happy to elaborate.

Just bought a 512GW today and I'm very satisfied with it. :) Looking forward to the next firmware release as I don't need the low quality videos. As mentioned earlier please consider the option to remove the Nextbase logo stamp as that is currently the only gripe I have. ;)

@SimulatorSam this has been relayed to the marketing team for consideration. Keep an eye on future firmware updates.

Hi I have just purchased a 512 GW and very happy with it and would agree regarding the options on Hi Lo quality file option. I have an issue regarding the time stamp which is shown correct on the memory card and actual file footage but is one hour out when I save in the appliication?

Hi I have just purchased a 512 GW and very happy with it and would agree regarding the options on Hi Lo quality file option. I have an issue regarding the time stamp which is shown correct on the memory card and actual file footage but is one hour out when I save in the appliication?

Is this when watching back in Replay 3?

yes exactly that ... I imagine it can be changed in settings somewhere? but I cannot find it for the life of me

I too have just purchased a 512GW and after 24 hours I have no complaints. :) However I am very confused by the parking mode.

It seems when it is switched on then the cam records if and when somebody bumps into the car. My questions re this are:

Will it start recording if the car is nudged by a pedestrian or does it need a serious shunt?
I guess it is sensible to reverse park into bays so that any shunt actually shows up on the video footage. I usually front park which means I would never see the culprit...
Is it necessary to go through the menu to switch the mode on every time I park up or can I leave it on permanently?
If it can be left on all the time does this have any implications for the way the normal recording functions work?

A parking mode sounds like a great idea but I do not really want to have to go through the hassle of switching it off and on every time I park.

Regarding the resolution. I assumed the highest quality would be the best but it seems that stepping down to a lower quality might give more useful even though poorer recordings?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Hi @MarkL

I have emailed you this morning but I'll paste it here in case other customers have similar questions.

The 512GW has ‘intelligent parking mode’ which means you can leave it on all the time: the processor inside the unit will know to differentiate between the ultra-sensitive accelerometer readings when you’re parked up with the ignition off and the more vigorous readings you get when driving around town.

When activated in the menu parking mode utilises the G-Sensor (accelerometer) inside the unit and when an impact is detected on the left/right or forward/backwards axis it will turn on and record for 2 minutes drawing power from its internal battery.

It is not optical sensing so if you were to walk around the car this will not be picked up.

The parking mode G-Sensor values are very low to ensure it does turn on and record if the car is knocked/bumped whilst stationary.

You’re correct, the camera will only record what it is pointing at, this will however be evidence to your insurance company that your car was indeed bumped in a car park whilst stationary.

Hi @MarkL

I have emailed you this morning but I'll paste it here in case other customers have similar questions.

The 512GW has ‘intelligent parking mode’ which means you can leave it on all the time: the processor inside the unit will know to differentiate between the ultra-sensitive accelerometer readings when you’re parked up with the ignition off and the more vigorous readings you get when driving around town.

When activated in the menu parking mode utilises the G-Sensor (accelerometer) inside the unit and when an impact is detected on the left/right or forward/backwards axis it will turn on and record for 2 minutes drawing power from its internal battery.

It is not optical sensing so if you were to walk around the car this will not be picked up.

The parking mode G-Sensor values are very low to ensure it does turn on and record if the car is knocked/bumped whilst stationary.

You’re correct, the camera will only record what it is pointing at, this will however be evidence to your insurance company that your car was indeed bumped in a car park whilst stationary.

Thanks Tiffany. Clearly the parking mode is more useful than I had feared. All I need now it to hear that Nextbase have started producing the rear mounted camera to go with the 512GW and all my prayers will have been answered :)

It’s due out in the Autumn, here’s some info:

The resolution will be 1080p,
It’ll record the data onto the SD card inside the 512GW,
It will take power from the 512GW,
It will cost around £50-£70.

The benefit is it will save on the extra hardwire kit and SD card and have front and rear files consecutively.

We're working on it, see my post from another thread above :) this will give you the rear protection you're looking for I think?

I just Bought the 512 GW last week purposely for the use of the rear cam, I sent NextBase an email enquiring about the rear cam got this email the very next day ....... pre-Ordered mine
already !!!

IMG_8213 next.jpg

I have contacted Halfords and they say they know nothinga bout it yet...

I have contacted Halfords and they say they know nothinga bout it yet...

This is what I was told after I'd shown him the email, but like the chap at Halfords said they wont know until their system is updated and that will at the beginning of the month, And since I bought my 512GW from them the week before they have my details on tap. So be patient and all will be forthcoming !

C95B1989-120E-4789-B6F5-42B53431D7E5.png Looks like next base don’t always tell the truth !! Emailed them again got this back, little different from the first reply ....

View attachment 34350 Looks like next base don’t always tell the truth !! Emailed them again got this back, little different from the first reply ....
Bit of a jump to say they don't tell the truth.

People can only advise you what is happening as they know it. I was told end of October for the possible release date. That doesn't mean I took it as gospel. Sometimes problems happen, a delay in shipping or development or manufacturing isn't that uncommon.

It can take a long time to get stuff across from China or wherever it is manufactured, sometimes out of the hands of the company and could be down to shipping issues etc.

I'm sure as soon as they have them we will know in time.

Bit of a jump to say they don't tell the truth.

People can only advise you what is happening as they know it. I was told end of October for the possible release date. That doesn't mean I took it as gospel. Sometimes problems happen, a delay in shipping or development or manufacturing isn't that uncommon.

It can take a long time to get stuff across from China or wherever it is manufactured, sometimes out of the hands of the company and could be down to shipping issues etc.

I'm sure as soon as they have them we will know in time.

Then why say they'll have it in Halfords at the very end of October? if you look at that as "Advising " then maybe they shouldn't be advising if they don't really know. I was told it would be in Halfords at least six weeks before any other retailer would have from the end of Oct. that was a lie! if you was told the release date would be the end of October then you also was given the wrong Advice ....... and its not a bit of a jump as you put it, if they don't know then don't give false Advice!

Then why say they'll have it in Halfords at the very end of October? if you look at that as "Advising " then maybe they shouldn't be advising if they don't really know. I was told it would be in Halfords at least six weeks before any other retailer would have from the end of Oct. that was a lie! if you was told the release date would be the end of October then you also was given the wrong Advice ....... and its not a bit of a jump as you put it, if they don't know then don't give false Advice!
I'm just pointing out that they probably planned to have it out at the end of October. But there has been an issue by the looks of it. I am sure they will be in Halfords 6 weeks before anywhere else if that is what they plan. It just looks like it has been delayed.

If they had said oh we don't know would you be any better off?

Back