Nextbase 512GW stops recording randomly most days

Drsdriver

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve got the rear Nextbase camera fitted to the 512GW and on most journeys the speed display goes off and shows the live view of the road.
On the screen the recording has stopped . The only way to restart the recording again is to hold the off button and wait for the cam to turn off.
Then restart and recording begins again .
But lately holding the off button doesn’t work and I can’t turn it off. Have to do a reset from the base of the cam. Then switch on and all works again.
It’s not hardwired and the G sensor is off. Parking mode is off too.
It’s got the latest firmware update too.
This cam was bought in April but has always been temperamental with it stopping recording.
Any ideas as to the fix, before it’s taken back to Halfords?

No I haven’t. But feel that enough money was spent on a decent memory card already . Scandisk 64gb high endurance video monitoring card

Oh right. It’s only 6 months old. Shouldn’t they last longer than that .

It may not need replacing but may have errors that are tripping it up, download sdformatter and do a full overwrite erase in your PC and then format in the camera again before use and see how you go

6 months old for a SDcard depends ........

Roughly, how many actual hours has it been in use. If you are a sales rep and it's being used daily, 8 hours a day then 6 months for a non endurance card may be its life. They wear out.

OP has a HE card K. Post #3 refers. But SD is still a possibility. Try a low capacity (cheap) alternative temporarily to check.

Thanks for your replies. 12,000 miles a year for me so it’s not a great deal of dashcam use.
Think I will source a cheap sd card and then give it a months trial.
I looked at the SD card I’ve got and it should have a 2 year warranty but can’t remember where I bought it from.
Wonder if I contacted Scandisk themselves they would replace it ?

Ah Sandisk.

Quite a few dashcam manufacturers don't recommend them due to premature failure.

I was using San disk religiously in my nextbase dash cam over the years as that was highly recommended by nextbase, but having seen so many occurring issues from other users I have been using Samsung sd cards for a while now but I own a few just in case for back up purposes

I’ve got the rear Nextbase camera fitted to the 512GW and on most journeys the speed display goes off and shows the live view of the road.
On the screen the recording has stopped . The only way to restart the recording again is to hold the off button and wait for the cam to turn off.
Then restart and recording begins again .
But lately holding the off button doesn’t work and I can’t turn it off. Have to do a reset from the base of the cam. Then switch on and all works again.
It’s not hardwired and the G sensor is off. Parking mode is off too.
It’s got the latest firmware update too.
This cam was bought in April but has always been temperamental with it stopping recording.
Any ideas as to the fix, before it’s taken back to Halfords?
I have the same problem also keeps saying faulty card won't format

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Have you tried formatting the card on a computer?

Has the OP got a stop / start vehicle ?

This does seem to be cropping up lately with possibly the disconnect / reconnect (depending on power feed source) when the engine restarts causing the dashcam to freeze or give it problems.

These dashcams don't turn off instantly but have a mechanism to keep recording for a short time, by design. If during that power cut, shutdown, power is restored then I can fully understand the problem.

The fix surely has to be to find a circuit that doesn't shutdown when the starter motor kicks in ?

An awful lot do to give the starter max power.

Yes my car is stop/ start , but the dashcam stops recording whilst in motion, not sat stationary with the engine off. Also the speed display is playing up , saying I was doing 50mph when I was actually doing 40 mph. It usually reads 2mph under my speedo speed .
Last night also the cam stopped charging, instead of having the blue and red light alternating at the base to say it’s charging & recording, tonight it just had the red light permantely on.
I did check the cigarette charger and it was on.

So been to Halfords this afternoon to replace it, but the chap wants me to try formatting my sd card in my computer 1st and delete any saved files. So I’ve done that and card showing I have 64gb of capacity on it.
Popped it back in my dashcam and formatted in there also .
Will try tonight and tomorrow and see what happens.
Halfords said if that don’t work , then they will happily replace the dashcam.

Satnav reading 2MPH less than your car speedo is right. All car speedos are set to over read as they are not allowed by vehicle construction laws to under read.
However, indicating 50 when you are doing 40 is plain wrong.

Yep appreciate that, the speed side has been playing up for a while too. I know when the dash cam is going to stop recording as the speed display starts increasing relative to my actual speed. Then it’s just a matter of time before the screen defaults to live view .

Dashcam replaced by Halfords on Boxing Day , see what happens with the new one !

Back