Nextbase 522gw dashcam won't auto power on

aldaniel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
I have problem I am having with my Nextbase 522gw dashcam as it has stopped auto powering on (it was working fine)
I have reset to default a number of times and have the latest firmware update installed but I have had to still manually start the dash-cam every time (any ideas)
For the time being I have gone back to my Nextbase 312gw until I get it sorted.
Please help as it is driving me crackers
Cheers
Al

Hi Al,

Please ensure you're on Firmware R19.1 (to be specific).
What SD card are you using please?

Regards,
Millie- Nextbase

Hi Millie
Thanks for the reply
I am on firmware R19.1 and the sd card that was in and working before was a Sandisk Ultra 128GB U1 class 10 and I have also tried a Trancend 128GB U3 XC I with no joy
Regards
Al

Hi Al,

San Disk Ultra/Extreme SD cards are not designed to be used inside Dash Cams, San Disk actually void the warranty if an Ultra/Extreme is used inside a Dash Cam. If you believe otherwise to be the case please contact the manufacturer for confirmation. https://shop.westerndigital.com/en-gb/warranty.

I'd recommend a Dash Cam compatible U3 SD card, specifically designed for Dash Cam or CCTV usage. Such as the Nextbase SD cards or SanDisk High Endurance.

I think the SD cards are the cause of the issues you're facing.

Regards,
Millie- Nextbase

Hi Millie
I have just received a 128GB Sandisk High Endurance card today and tried that and still no joy
Regards
Al

do you remember to format the memory card in the camera first ?
I dont think you can just put it in and go from there.

Are you using the new camera with the power source from the old one ?
Not that i think it will make a difference as the nextbase cameras to my knowledge are 12V cameras.
Also are you using any parking features or just using the camera as a regular dashcam when driving.
I would try resetting to default and just use the most basic settings, like set timezone.

I have tried the hard wired one and also the cigarette lighter one also.
It still does not auto turn on.
Also have reset to default a number of times
Al

Then in afraid i am out of good ideas, probably at a place where you should think about starting up warranty proceedings.

I've exactly the same 522 problem: auto power stopped working. Using a Sandisk High Endurance, bought with dashcam, firmware 19.9, repeated reset to default and card format in camera and wiring checked.

Kind regards
Terry

Nextbase have issues with Sandisk cards.

They have posted this issue regularly.

Millie (Nextbase Tech Support Engineer, above) suggests it alongside the expensive Nextbase own (what is special about it that the price is so high other than captive market?). It has been working so clearly seems compatible with the device which is listed as a compatible purchase on Amazon so I struggle to see this is the issue. Nextbase's own website simply states "An SD card designed for Dash Cam use is recommended with this model.", doesn't specify must be a Nextbase card. I've raised the issue with support so hopefully I will get some advice. If a Nextbase card was needed I would have factored the extra £45 into the dashcam price and looked at alternative brands.

TBH, I'm not convinced about these endurance cards. I've read so many issues with them here. I've also read about the various NAND technologies they use but I'm no expert.

What I can say is that my Samsung Evo Plus U3 128Gb card is now over 3 years old and still going strong. It's been through 4 dashcams including 2 Nextbase models without issue.

Thanks for the info on your card, I had a 412 with an 'ordinary' Sandisk card that worked fine until the dashcam died.

Yep, the 412 was the first Nb I used it in. Followed by a Nb 380, Viofo A119 V2 and now a V3. The Samsung has a fast write speed which I believe is key.

Millie (Nextbase Tech Support Engineer, above) suggests it alongside the expensive Nextbase own (what is special about it that the price is so high other than captive market?). It has been working so clearly seems compatible with the device which is listed as a compatible purchase on Amazon so I struggle to see this is the issue. Nextbase's own website simply states "An SD card designed for Dash Cam use is recommended with this model.", doesn't specify must be a Nextbase card. I've raised the issue with support so hopefully I will get some advice. If a Nextbase card was needed I would have factored the extra £45 into the dashcam price and looked at alternative brands.
Hi,

We do not suggest using any SanDisk SD card within a Nextbase Dashcam.
For a 522GW I'd recommend a Dash Cam compatible 8GB -128GB U3 Micro SD card, specifically designed for Dash Cam or CCTV usage. Using a dash cam compatible SD card instead should then allow your Dash Cam to function as designed. The card needs to have a minimum continuous write speed of 48MB/s. The SanDisk High Endurance card shows a disclosure of 30MB/s on their website.

We always suggest using a Nextbase SD card within a Nextbase Dashcam.

The best way to test whether the card is indeed causing the problem is an internal test:
1. Bring your Dashcam inside your home/office.
2. Use the provided USB cable to plug in the Dashcam to a mains socket via the port on the top of the Dashcam. Ensure the mains adaptor is at least 2 amps.
3. Please remove the SD card, then press the reset button on the underside of the Dash Cam. Then, without the SD card inserted, please turn on the Camera.
4. Ensure Parking Mode and Screen Saver are disabled.
5. Leave the camera turned on. Does it now stay on correctly? I'd recommend leaving it for 4 hours to see if any issues occur.
You can also try turning off the mains plug and waiting for the Dashcam to turn off. Then turn the plug back on. The Dashcam should automatically start without manual input. You can try this multiple times.

If no issues occur, then the issue is likely to be the SD card.

Kind regards,
Millie
Nextbase Technical Support

Followed your advice, dashcam now working again. Will have to see if there is a future problem with my Sandisk card.

Thank you
Terry

My hard wired 522gw has been working normally for the past 3 years using a 64 gb Sandisk. I recently fitted a Nextbase rear camera and it still worked fine with the same 64g Sandisk. I realised I needed a bigger sd card to cope with the new rear camera so I purchased a new Sandisk Ultra 128GB U1 class 10, Up to 90MB/s write speed. It no longer turns on when I start the engine, will only turn on manually. All very strange.

Last edited:
Back