NextBase 522GW - is it supposed to be on all the time? ie overnight

craigedmonds

Reaction score
Country
Spain
I have noticed when I walk away from my car in the evening and come back the next morning the screen on the nextgen is on.

I am a bit worried that it's going to eat my battery.

Surely it does not stay on 24/7 does it?

I have a big car, a Touareg, but still, the battery in it is no infinite.

TIA.

Check your settings for parking mode, if you have constant power that settings needs to be turned on for it to shut down. That mode will shut down the dashcam after a few minuters of it not moving.

The dashcam may also be in a loop of constantly starting and that may make it seem that it is constantly turned on.

Test it out by first making sure that the parking mode is turned on and sit in the car and wait till the dashcam shuts down, I do not remember the exact amount of minutes but it may be five minutes.

Wait a few more minuters to see if the dashcam starts up again. It should not start unless you either bump the car or bump the camera, the dashcam should turn on if it is even slightly moved. But it should not turn on if it is untouched and not moved in any fashion.

I got my dashcam out of the restart loop by turning on and off the auto off settings. This setting has nothing to do with the camera auto shutdown while on constant power (that is parking mode setting) it makes the camera stay on a short time longer if the dashcam is not on constant power.

Hello,

Are you using a cigarette lighter cable or a hard wire kit please?

If the camera is always recording, then it's constantly being supplied with power.

This can either be because the cigarette lighter port is a permanent live fuse (always powered) or the hard wire kit is on a permanent live fuse.

If you're using a cigarette lighter cable, then you can either unplug the socket every time you leave the vehicle which will stop your battery from draining, or you can use a Hard Wire Kit instead. Please be aware that the cigarette lighter cable does not have an in-built voltage cut off and will drain your battery if left connected to a permanent live cigarette lighter socket.

If you're using a Hard Wire Kit, then you're currently on a Permanent Live fuse instead of a Switch Live fuse. You can either turn Parking Mode on, which will switch the camera off when not in use. Or if you do not want to enable Parking Mode, you can change the fuse position to a Switch Live Fuse. The Hard Wire Kit does have an in-built voltage cut off at 11.2V, protecting both your cam's battery and the car's battery.

If you're already on Parking Mode, then I'd recommend:
Remove the SD card from the camera, then press the reset button on the underside of the Dash Cam. Then, without the SD card inserted, please turn on the Camera. Leave the camera on and wait for 5 minutes. Does it now turn off automatically? If so, then the SD card is corrupted or is not compatible.

Regards,
Millie- Nextbase Support

Hello,

Are you using a cigarette lighter cable or a hard wire kit please?

If the camera is always recording, then it's constantly being supplied with power.

This can either be because the cigarette lighter port is a permanent live fuse (always powered) or the hard wire kit is on a permanent live fuse.

If you're using a cigarette lighter cable, then you can either unplug the socket every time you leave the vehicle which will stop your battery from draining, or you can use a Hard Wire Kit instead. Please be aware that the cigarette lighter cable does not have an in-built voltage cut off and will drain your battery if left connected to a permanent live cigarette lighter socket.

If you're using a Hard Wire Kit, then you're currently on a Permanent Live fuse instead of a Switch Live fuse. You can either turn Parking Mode on, which will switch the camera off when not in use. Or if you do not want to enable Parking Mode, you can change the fuse position to a Switch Live Fuse. The Hard Wire Kit does have an in-built voltage cut off at 11.2V, protecting both your cam's battery and the car's battery.

If you're already on Parking Mode, then I'd recommend:
Remove the SD card from the camera, then press the reset button on the underside of the Dash Cam. Then, without the SD card inserted, please turn on the Camera. Leave the camera on and wait for 5 minutes. Does it now turn off automatically? If so, then the SD card is corrupted or is not compatible.

Regards,
Millie- Nextbase Support
Hi Millie,
My dashcam is wired correctly with the hard wire kit and is is Parking mode and having tried your recommendation above it hasn't worked, my camera has stayed on while it was also charging as it looks like my battery is goosed altogether, keeps beeping continously. What is my alternative?

thank you,

999fire

Welcome to the forum 999fire.

Millie have not been seen on this forum since late June, Nextbase seem to have dropped us

Back