Nextbase 522gw very poor quality pictures and video

goodwinra

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
is it just me or do other Nextbase 522gw users have the same problem, have tried all the settings but the video and snap shots i save are complete rubbish the picture/video qualitly is useless it cant even read number plates!!!

Attachments

• 190727_203340_023_FH.MP4_28.png
    190727_203340_023_FH.MP4_28.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 98
That looks like motion blur on the red car. How light was it at half past 8 at night?

The problem is not in the amount of lighting, but in the correct sensor settings.
The left edge of the frame can be eliminated due to the high angular velocity
and the subsequent blurring of the picture. In this case, you should pay attention
to the center of the frame, there is also not all good...

24mph when the target car is stationary should be better IMO.

better to see the video to judge what the problem is, lighting, camera aim, that particular frame etc, a selective cropped screenshot doesn't give enough info

Here is what I'm showing (not a 522) at a similar speed:

6s4zs2f.jpg

Last edited:
is that from the low res file or high res? as it records 2 files at once unless you turn it off, as it saves a smaller one to be sent to your phone through the application.

I am shocked to see how poor quality image the 522gw is...

I'm hesitating between the 522gw and the A119 V3. The 522gw looks simpler to use and has a nice box and packaging, however in reality it looks really bad.

The 522GW isn't too bad, as it's on par with most 1440p30 dash cams, as I was going to get the A119v3 but the 522gw being on offer for £120 kinda sealed the deal.

I am shocked to see how poor quality image the 522gw is...

I'm hesitating between the 522gw and the A119 V3. The 522gw looks simpler to use and has a nice box and packaging, however in reality it looks really bad.
Is the quality of the box and packaging important to you?

Maybe you should visit the A119 V3 sub forum... there you can find out about things like supercapacitors that give 10 years camera life instead of lithium batteries that give 1 - 2 years camera life... a dashcam is not all about the quality of the box and image...

Now the quality of the box isn't that important, but it shows a certain image of the brand. But when you look at the end result, it seems like Nextbase really has very poor image quality, and that's what matters the most.

Now the quality of the box isn't that important, but it shows a certain image of the brand. But when you look at the end result, it seems like Nextbase really has very poor image quality, and that's what matters the most.
Seems to show the abilities of their marketing department, and doesn't reflect the abilities of their hardware and firmware departments! Of course it is nice when all departments have great ability, but then the price is likely to rise!

I'm hesitating between the A119 v3 and the 522gw... it seems that the VIOFO is better.

Yew the images of mine are that bad too - dont expect to be able to read number plates

It's amazing that Nextbase are willingly manufacturing a product that is of extreme mediocre quality.

This is an image from my GW 522, not bad but I agree at times its nowhere as good as I expected. Bear in mind that I have had to reduce the resolution of the picture to a size that the site would accept, about 30 pixels/inch190729_113052_025_FH.MP4_51165.png

That looks quite good to me

I agree this snapshot is ok but on other occasions it has not been anywhere near as sharp. It might well be worth a play with the exposure settings when it appears poor again. This one not bad but the detail of the white car number plate is not good2.png

Can you freeze frame a bit closer to that car. The closer the better for closing speed.

You're doing 37mph. If the other car is the same that's circa 70mph

Last edited:
I agree this snapshot is ok but on other occasions it has not been anywhere near as sharp. It might well be worth a play with the exposure settings when it appears poor again. This one not bad but the detail of the white car number plate is not goodView attachment 47825
What is the grey pole in the field on the right?
Given the curvature of the straight lamp post in the previous image, that grey thing must be quite curved!
Was curious so I looked up the coordinates on google maps, but the streetview shows a different piece of road! Are the coordinates correct?

Back