Nextbase 612gw Dashcam

humlett

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Found the recorded road speed output on this Dashcam to be wildly inaccurate.
Seems to read 5mph slower than my speedometer, though it catches up eventually.
My Garmin Satnav by comparison is far more accurate.
Very poor in my opinion!

The calculation of speed is based upon GPS position and hence distance travelled over time taken.

This is a complicated algorithm and there may indeed be some discrepancy between devices, as it is a calculated speed, not an actual speed as measured by your road wheels.

In our tests, once multiple satellites have been located the speed is accurate to within 5%.

In our tests, once multiple satellites have been located the speed is accurate to within 5%.

the average speedo in the car isn't even accurate to 5%, they are allowed to be out more that that, not too many manufacturers that actually have an accurate speed reading for their vehicles

The calculation of speed is based upon GPS position and hence distance travelled over time taken.

This is a complicated algorithm and there may indeed be some discrepancy between devices, as it is a calculated speed, not an actual speed as measured by your road wheels.

Some discrepancy is putting it mildly...
I would say it's not fit for purpose if considered as data for an insurance claim and offers little more than novelty value.

Expected errors on a mechanical speedometer are at at least consistent with technology used by road side speed cameras and hand held devices - as to date I haven't had a ticket for speeding.

This particular nextbase device is consistently playing catch-up with actual road speed and as such the option would be better removed.

My Garmin satellite linked Satnav is extremely consistent with my speedometer, and the warnings it eminates when I immediately drift over a speed limit can be relied on.

if the speed is consistently playing catch up this is most often a sign of poor signal quality, that could be some other device interfering, other electronics, athermic windscreen etc, or could be a hardware fault

Back