Nextbase 612GW Thoughts

Alarm man

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Next Base / Kenwood
I'm still looking for a good true 4k Dash can.
Whats the general feeling towards the Nextbase 612GW
They state "Our top-of-the-range model is the first of its kind to offer Ultra HD 4k resolution, resulting in the best quality Dash Cam footage that you’ll find anywhere on the market"
How true is this?

Hi there,

The 612GW was the top of the range camera in the Series 1 range of Nextbase Dash Cameras. However we have since updated and released Series 2. So far there is not a 4K Camera in Series 2, however the 622GW is being released in February 2020, and that will record in 4K. If you decided that you wanted to add a Rear Camera to the 622GW, the 622GW itself would still record in 4K and the Rear Camera would record in 1080.

I'll let the other users of the 612GW say their part now.

Regards,
Millie

I have the 612 4k jobby. It is a brilliant bit of kit and the unit itself looks and feels quality with the brushed aluminium finish. The quality of the video is fantastic especially in the day with the polarising filter on and is next level to the other Dashcams in the series, If you're looking to upgrade to the 612 4k it is well worth it imo and packed with extra features the other 12 series cams don't have. Hope this helps.
Looking forward to the next 622 when it comes out to see what extra features that has, The rear camera attachment is one thing I wish I could add to my 612 tho after having it for my 322.

Below I have attached a clip of some footage from my 612 in 4k.

An excellent camera, and indeed true 4K.

Here is my review:

@NextBase Support - Millie - keep me in the loop privately on the series 2 if you can please. Ta :)

Here is some more footage I've uploaded from my 612 4K at night. Very happy with the quality at night even though YouTube only show it in 1080p 60FPS you can still see the quality of video.

An excellent camera, and indeed true 4K.

Here is my review:

@NextBase Support - Millie - keep me in the loop privately on the series 2 if you can please. Ta :)
That is a great review fairplay fella.. I remember finding it on Google and reading it when I was looking at buying the 612 earlier this year, very informative.

Thanks Rick, much appreciated. Hope you subscribed, lol...

Thanks for all your replies guys, much appreciated

Sent from my SM-G9700 using Tapatalk

I've had a 612gw for around 18 months now, well actually I'm on the 4th one now, first one was changed at Halfords within a month due to constantly crashing, which was actually down to an unsuitable sd card. The second did just over 6 months before the battery expired causing it to need resetting nearly every time it was booted, Halfords swapped it again. Another 8 months, so out of warranty & the battery problem has returned, contacted Nextbase support who said send it back, I did, they replaced it as a goodwill gesture. I have absolutely no complaints with Nextbase customer support they're fantastic, I just worry that in another 6 months or so that I'm going to have a 612gw that is unusable which would be a great shame as it's great in every other respect.
I do wonder if this is perhaps one of the reasons for discontinuing this model?

I believe it was discontinued due to the release of the newer style 2 series cams being rolled out.. Looking forward to the new 622 coming out at the start of next year. :)

I've had a 612gw for around 18 months now, well actually I'm on the 4th one now, first one was changed at Halfords within a month due to constantly crashing, which was actually down to an unsuitable sd card. The second did just over 6 months before the battery expired causing it to need resetting nearly every time it was booted, Halfords swapped it again. Another 8 months, so out of warranty & the battery problem has returned, contacted Nextbase support who said send it back, I did, they replaced it as a goodwill gesture. I have absolutely no complaints with Nextbase customer support they're fantastic, I just worry that in another 6 months or so that I'm going to have a 612gw that is unusable which would be a great shame as it's great in every other respect.
The same as what’s happened to my 612. Took back replaced several times what utter disappointment with Nextbase support. It seems that it’s become such a lemon that now they are refusing to actually do anything with my camera other than send it into them, and they will charge me as it’s just run out of warranty if needs fixing. They also said buy a new card as the cards break quite a lot. I’ve never heard such an awful statement from a company. So I buy a new one and now after two months same issue. So I go back to Halfords they don’t give refund or replacement. It’s basically as I’ve got a 612 out of warranty and the fact it damages my next base memory cards and that it’s my unwarranted device therefore I’m liable as it’s me damaging the new cards. Absolutely crazy and illegal. The product should have been recalled years ago. I want a new camera now but after buying lots of their cameras I shall not buy another as they won’t help me at all after having given them hundreds of pounds. I even asked could they under special circumstances give me a discount on the 622 and I was offered 5% discount what a joke. No they’ve got very greedy. They even said how the guy from Halfords doesn’t know what he’s talking about, being that they sell there products I thought was very rude and disrespectful of them as without Halfords they wouldn’t be so gigantic as a company.

Hi there,

The 612GW was the top of the range camera in the Series 1 range of Nextbase Dash Cameras. However we have since updated and released Series 2. So far there is not a 4K Camera in Series 2, however the 622GW is being released in February 2020, and that will record in 4K. If you decided that you wanted to add a Rear Camera to the 622GW, the 622GW itself would still record in 4K and the Rear Camera would record in 1080.

I'll let the other users of the 612GW say their part now.

Regards,
Millie
Can’t believe this from Nextbase review here, we are talking about the effectiveness of the 612 and your recommending for us to now buy the 622, we all know why that is because the 612 is a memory card killer and should have been recalled and I should have been at the very least offered a discount to purchase yet another upgrade product of your just so I can have a dash cam. Not very happy with my personal service and it doesn’t seem to align with others who claim Nextbase to be great service.

Hello,

If your SD card is within the one year warranty, this can be returned to the retailer for an exchange.

The only reason an SD card would be denied a warranty exchange is if it has not been maintained by the user. The SD card requires regular formatting. If this is not done, then any SD card can corrupt after a period of time. As this is not a manufacturing defect, but due to lack of regular maintenance by the user. This is not warrantable.

If your SD card was within warranty and maintained, Halfords would have exchanged it, as per Nextbase and Halfords protocols.

Regards,
Millie- Nextbase Support

Can’t believe this from Nextbase review here, we are talking about the effectiveness of the 612 and your recommending for us to now buy the 622, we all know why that is because the 612 is a memory card killer and should have been recalled and I should have been at the very least offered a discount to purchase yet another upgrade product of your just so I can have a dash cam. Not very happy with my personal service and it doesn’t seem to align with others who claim Nextbase to be great service.
Had my 612 for over a year now using a Sandisk Extreme 128GB SD Card, never had a single problem and the SD Card is still working spot on.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

It has been the experience of a guy that fits and sells lots of them for Halfords that they seem to break cards and not to buy aftermarket cards as they break them more often which has been my experience. So I’d personally agree with that verdict and just wonder if there is anyone else having the same issue as I’m having. The product wasn’t running that long then they got issues and redesigned a we now have the new version which they want us to buy as the first one simply didn’t work. It’s the same old story when I buy a product they just don’t do what they say reliably. The products unusable as it is for me it just locks up. Now that just isn’t right after another card now doesn’t work I’d call that reality for me not tosh.

It has been the experience of a guy that fits and sells lots of them for Halfords that they seem to break cards and not to buy aftermarket cards as they break them more often which has been my experience.
We've seen several reports of cards dying seemingly early in these cams, including some NB cards. Then there are some aftermarket cards which seem to work OK most of the time. So my assessment of the situation isn't that NB does something to 'break' cards via software, which would be very hard to do without it being easily discovered, but that there's an issue with writing to the cards which is abetted by reports of other issues which were traced to card problems. Could be card overheating, could be something in how the cards are written to by the cam (though I can't see the latter being so possible if at all).

What we can be sure of is: These cams are picky about which cards are used (which isn't too uncommon with dashcams). NB wants you to use their own cards. NB cards aren't cost-competitive (which again happens with most self-branded cam cards). So for me my only question is why cards don't last as long as they should for many NB users when the same cards run trouble-free for a long time in a lot of other cams even when rarely formatted? Something is not quite right, I just don't know what :rolleyes:

Phil

You have a point there.

I can't remember the last time I formatted my card. I just use the dashcam as a card reader and cut/paste to the PC which empties the DCIM folder ready for the next journey.

You have a point there.

I can't remember the last time I formatted my card. I just use the dashcam as a card reader and cut/paste to the PC which empties the DCIM folder ready for the next journey.
Thanks Kremmen, surely that’s how they should work! All this stuff about formatting is because the cards get hot I reckon and can’t deal with the 4K heat obtained. I live in southern England and do leave my dash am in the vehicle. But look it’s not my problem it’s the company that should sort this not me. At the very least once Nextbase realising you’ve got a lemon product of theirs they should recall not bring out another product and say upgrade you’ve gone a day over your warrantee and won’t offer at least a bit of help to buy one that works at cost to them. Oh no let’s keep making a profit and leave most users with problem devices that don’t record an actual accident and therefore vehicles aren’t protected is disgusting.

Back