NextBase 622GW Freezing and battery not charging? marketing scam?

Hi there Kremmen, thanks for your reply

When I power the dashcam from my phone charger or my PC USB port, there are no issues. The freezing seems to happen only when the dashcam is connected via my car (2017 Nissan Qashqai). I have swapped out the power cable for a same type cable that I had lying around. The issue persists. It strikes me as rather odd that the freezing only occurs when I start up my car's engine. why not whilst mid driving? And why didn’t my previous dashcam (Mio brand) have an issue with this... hmmm food for thought in my part.

It feels like your suggestion regarding the power might be on the right track towards finding the culprit.

Tomorrow I’ll try a few tests with the same setup in my wife's car (2010 Peugeot 107) see if the issue is there as well.

Hi there Kremmen, thanks for your reply

When I power the dashcam from my phone charger or my PC USB port, there are no issues. The freezing seems to happen only when the dashcam is connected via my car (2017 Nissan Qashqai). I have swapped out the power cable for a same type cable that I had lying around. The issue persists. It strikes me as rather odd that the freezing only occurs when I start up my car's engine. why not whilst mid driving? And why didn’t my previous dashcam (Mio brand) have an issue with this... hmmm food for thought in my part.

It feels like your suggestion regarding the power might be on the right track towards finding the culprit.

Sounds suspiciously like the cam is sensing the drop in voltage when you start your vehicle and interpreting that as the engine being shut down (i.e., power removed), and therefore it needs to power off...

Last edited:
So just as I suspected.

The trick is indeed to find a 'tap' that is unaffected by the firing of the starter motor.

The first investigation I would do is to find a circuit that only becomes live on ignition position 2. In my experience a lot of circuits that become live on ignition position 1, the 'accessory' position, often lose power when the starter is cranked.

This is even more important with stop start vehicles as they play havoc with dashcams if not wired correctly.

Yeah, I have already tried the Nextbase support via e-mail. unfortunately, that ended rather quickly since they were not willing to help me due to the fact that I do not have a Nextbase SD card. Sorry for being a bit salty in this regard, but I didn’t have a pleasant experience with the Nextbase support (e-mail) staff.

Via e-mail I’ve tried to get the specifications of a 'specialized' Nextbase SD card, but no one was willing to share those specifications with me, telling me that either:
1) Nextbase does not have them (unlikely)
2) the Nextbase SD card shares the same specs than any other brand of SD card.

Either way, after 12 e-mails exchanged with Michael, Laura and James (all from Nextbase support) I ended up concluding that they were never serious in helping me resolve my problem, they just wanted me to buy another Nextbase product.

Nextbase does not just recommend using a Nextbase brand SD card with ‘secret specs’, they won’t help you if you don’t have one. They will just tell you it’s the fault of my own SD card, not matter how much speed benchmarks I can provide. Pssst: that means that you making it mandatory Nextbase

I still have a few more days before my free trial period ends for this dashcam. Ill tinker around with some settings hoping I can get this to work properly, all I need to do is to find a fix for this initial freezing when starting my cars engine.

Ending on a positive note: that dashcam does make some nice recordings! I especially like the image stabilization tech. its next level
Hi,

We pride ourselves on our excellent customer service and I am sorry that you feel this has not been your own personal experience.

Please could you answer my above questions? I can then help further.

Regards,
Millie

Nextbase Technical Support

So, it’s been a few days, I have been tinkering with the situation and I think I have solved it!

Please could you answer my above questions? I can then help further.
So, I mention that my previous encounter with the Nextbase support was not good, and then you proceed to simply start a new conversation with the exact same questions that your colleagues started with? Wow, talk about not caring.

- Why not ask me what went wrong?
- Why not ask your colleagues or me for a copy of that e-mail conversation?

You’re not excelling in customer service. Your just hungry for more money with your “special” Nextbase SD card, and their top-secret specs.
Dont bother replying anymore Millie, i think the matter is resolved.

The trick is indeed to find a 'tap' that is unaffected by the firing of the starter motor.
On my previous dashcam I had a hardwire kit, so I unpacked that bad boy from storage and used that on the fuse box from my car. It’s been running perfectly ever since.

Thanks, allot Kremmen (and all others in diagnosing) for your help!

----------
----------

Here is what I did (*sorry long story)
  • Took the Nextbase cigarette plug and dashcam and installed that in my wife’s car. SAME ISSUE
  • Swapped the Nextbase cigarette plug for the cigarette plug that was in my wife’s car (Peugeot 107) (she has an other brand dashcam installed with the same mini-usb connector). NO problems whatsoever.
  • Took the other brand cigplug and the dashcam back to my car (Nissan). NO problems anymore.
So, I can be (kind of) sure that the problems are faulty hardware from Nextbase right?

Today I installed a (non-Nextbase brand) hardwire kit and installed that via the fusebox of my car. The dashcam has been running smoothly ever since.
It’s been quite a journey but the matter seems to be resolved now. Thanks god and you guys for your help
I will be sure to warn my friends about the Nextbase cigarette power connectors.

Good your sorted m8. Video quality is top notch.

Paul.

So, it’s been a few days, I have been tinkering with the situation and I think I have solved it!

So, I mention that my previous encounter with the Nextbase support was not good, and then you proceed to simply start a new conversation with the exact same questions that your colleagues started with? Wow, talk about not caring.

- Why not ask me what went wrong?
- Why not ask your colleagues or me for a copy of that e-mail conversation?

You’re not excelling in customer service. Your just hungry for more money with your “special” Nextbase SD card, and their top-secret specs.
Dont bother replying anymore Millie, i think the matter is resolved.

On my previous dashcam I had a hardwire kit, so I unpacked that bad boy from storage and used that on the fuse box from my car. It’s been running perfectly ever since.

Thanks, allot Kremmen (and all others in diagnosing) for your help!

----------
----------

Here is what I did (*sorry long story)
  • Took the Nextbase cigarette plug and dashcam and installed that in my wife’s car. SAME ISSUE
  • Swapped the Nextbase cigarette plug for the cigarette plug that was in my wife’s car (Peugeot 107) (she has an other brand dashcam installed with the same mini-usb connector). NO problems whatsoever.
  • Took the other brand cigplug and the dashcam back to my car (Nissan). NO problems anymore.
So, I can be (kind of) sure that the problems are faulty hardware from Nextbase right?

Today I installed a (non-Nextbase brand) hardwire kit and installed that via the fusebox of my car. The dashcam has been running smoothly ever since.
It’s been quite a journey but the matter seems to be resolved now. Thanks god and you guys for your help
I will be sure to warn my friends about the Nextbase cigarette power connectors.
I just want to say thank you for this! We have a 522GW but keep experiencing the same issue. We also couldn't get any support from nextbase as they refused to help us for having also a SanDisk to start with which the third party seller assured us it was compatible after I told them nextbase said it wasn't (we bought a deal of front and rear camera with SD card). To be honest I was sure it was not a problem with the card and ended up buying their card to prove them wrong (the issue obviously continued after).

So they finally said the issue was with the camera and today I installed a replacement. Guess what was the first thing that happened when I turned on the car after installing ? Freeze!!!

I decided to just google the issue and found your reply. That sounds exactly like what we're experiencing so I'll shall try the solutions you mentioned and am hopeful again as it is a really nice camera.

I just want to say thank you for this! We have a 522GW but keep experiencing the same issue. We also couldn't get any support from nextbase as they refused to help us for having also a SanDisk to start with which the third party seller assured us it was compatible after I told them nextbase said it wasn't (we bought a deal of front and rear camera with SD card). To be honest I was sure it was not a problem with the card and ended up buying their card to prove them wrong (the issue obviously continued after).

So they finally said the issue was with the camera and today I installed a replacement. Guess what was the first thing that happened when I turned on the car after installing ? Freeze!!!

I decided to just google the issue and found your reply. That sounds exactly like what we're experiencing so I'll shall try the solutions you mentioned and am hopeful again as it is a really nice camera.
Hi,

Firstly, we do not recommend using any SanDisk SD cards in Nextbase products, as they routinely cause freezing on our devices due to their inability to functionally continuously loop record. This would have been the first step in troubleshooting with our Support Team.

Do you have a rear camera with your 522GW please?

Regards,
Millie

Hi,

Firstly, we do not recommend using any SanDisk SD cards in Nextbase products, as they routinely cause freezing on our devices due to their inability to functionally continuously loop record. This would have been the first step in troubleshooting with our Support Team.

Regards,
Millie

Hi Millie,

Yes, I got that SD card issue from the lack of support I received the first time around.

However now we do have a nextbase card AND a replacement camera and it's still freezing.

And as per my previous post which mentioned it, yes we do have a rear camera.

Hi,

Regards,
Millie

Also, we have a 522GW, not the 622GW but our issues are the same as the original post.

And yes, the firmware is up to date.

Also, we have a 522GW, not the 622GW but our issues are the same as the original post.

And yes, the firmware is up to date.
Hi,

Freezing straight away after turning on could mean a rear camera cabling issue (usually freezing at one second).

Please ensure the Rear Window Camera cable is fully inserted where the cables join- it should click when it's fully connected together. There's a connector about 30 cm from the rear camera, this connector can be a little deceiving and needs to be really tight.

Does this resolve the issue?

Regards,
Millie

Its just best to ignore the nextbase support. As they are on some kind of loop with there replies.

Sucks that you are experiencing the same issues, and i am sorry you fell for there marketing scam, and bought an nextbase brand sd card.

I realy hope that the non-nextbase power solution works for you mate! The picture of the dashcam is quite nice!

Last edited:
Its just best to ignore the nextbase support. As they are on some kind of loop with there replies.

Sucks that you are experiencing the same issues, and i am sorry you fell for there marketing scam, and bought an nextbase brand sd card.

I realy hope that the non-nextbase power solution works for you mate! The picture of the dashcam is quite nice!
Hi,

I'm very sorry to hear that you feel this way. As I'm trying to help a separate person, I'd appreciate if you could let me provide assistance to resolve the issue. If you no longer require or want Support, that is your choice, however other users do require assistance.

Regards,
Millie

Hi,

Freezing straight away after turning on could mean a rear camera cabling issue (usually freezing at one second).

Please ensure the Rear Window Camera cable is fully inserted where the cables join- it should click when it's fully connected together. There's a connector about 30 cm from the rear camera, this connector can be a little deceiving and needs to be really tight.

Does this resolve the issue?

Regards,
Millie
Hi Millie,

We checked the cable and it was plugged in properly. However we found an improvement which is to plug everything in in a specific order only after turning the engine on. I do have to note that this has failed a couple of times so far and the camera froze anyway, but it at least freezes less often. I'd have to agree with others that this is either a hardware of software issue.

For us, the following is helping:
- turn the engine on
- plug the back camera cable to the front camera
- place the camera in the mount

This is far from perfect as I said, and if it freezes a few more times I think we're just going to give up nextbase cameras all together. Having a read through this forum and other searches online it does look like this is a somewhat popular issue with your cameras.

I completely understand your frustration, especially after reading their replies on other posts. However the people working over at customer service are not to blame, they're only providing whatever answers their technical team provides to them so I'm happy to try their suggestions (up to a certain point).

Do you mind telling me which charger you used from your wife's car ? I was looking online and there quite a few options, I'd like to buy a "tried and tested" one, and we're not prepared to go through the work of hardwiring until we're sure that their cable is the issue.

Thanks !

Hi Millie,

We checked the cable and it was plugged in properly. However we found an improvement which is to plug everything in in a specific order only after turning the engine on. I do have to note that this has failed a couple of times so far and the camera froze anyway, but it at least freezes less often. I'd have to agree with others that this is either a hardware of software issue.

For us, the following is helping:
- turn the engine on
- plug the back camera cable to the front camera
- place the camera in the mount

This is far from perfect as I said, and if it freezes a few more times I think we're just going to give up nextbase cameras all together. Having a read through this forum and other searches online it does look like this is a somewhat popular issue with your cameras.
Hi,

As you're still experiencing freezing issues, it's likely to be the rear camera cable itself. I've messaged you directly to take your details to send a replacement cable to try.

Kind regards,
Millie

I own a 522 and a 622. I have had several issues with both. Support was terrible through it all, and I have issues that are still not resolved. They ignore my emails now. I agree that they are too quick to blame the card. What’s frustrating is that their own cards weren’t available for months not too long ago. I have found the WD purple card to work well. It exceeds the transfer rate requirement, and more importantly it’s a high endurance card which is very important.

I'm not convinced about endurance cards. In the early days they were lower performance, often U1, so write speeds were lower.

I'm still running my Samsung Evo Plus 128Gb U3 card, no longer in a Nextbase, which I bought in Oct 2018. It's never missed a frame. I see the Samsung card is now about £15 compared to the £65 Nextbase branded card.

Hi there @Salvadia,

Here below a schematic of my setup. below that the links of the stuff ive bought, since i live in holland, i am not sureif you can order the items if you live in another country.
1627312264123.png

sigaret jack splitter: link
Belkin fastcharger: link
Samsung 512GB card: link
USB cable between fastcharger and the 622gw Dashcam i had laying arround from an old phone.

Hope this helps you!

Market SCAM unfortunately, same issue with many different cards brands, sizes, etc, freezes randomly. Last firmware update almost 1 year ago, looks like an abandoned failed product. The only thing support does is force you to buy a 100 USD 128GB card. Why not state in the product description that it doesn't work with any other card?
Im returning the product and never try any Nextbase Product again.

Back